How did you build your car?

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I don't see how using credit to buy mods is different then the credit/loan that was used to get the car in the first place. Credit has to be paid back, so it's def not the free ride the OP seems to mistake it for.

On a more "real" note, credit may be the only way some guys can afford to get to that place where they hear the exhaust sing and the rear tires break traction sitting in the only seat in the world where they feel whole. If you pay it back, who the fck cares if it's bought with plastic.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I used it to get $10 off of my front license plate bracket. I just paid off the balance right away though. I must've set it to be my preferred method on Paypal, no biggie, I just go in and pay the balance every week or so.

Ah, I see. I've met a lot or guys at car meets who were telling me all about how it makes affording expensive things easy (obviously at first) but I feel like it could be something that some would get carried away with, especially now they told me how much shit they bought using it.

have I ever mentioned I have a devil on my shoulder that won't shut up when I am window shopping online for superchargers, shortblocks, and other very large mods.

I know where you are coming from. You see they price tag on something 5, 6 , $7,000 and then you see this little "Bill Me Later" logo and you think to yourself, hmmmm..

I wouldn't have a problem with buying mods with my credit card if I didn't set suck a strict schedule for myself. When I use the card it just means ontop of it, I still owe on mortgage, bills, and car loan. Less is more in this case.

rayS197

Reaction score
I built up what I called a parts closet. I would save up and buy something then throw it in the closet in my office. Once I had what I wanted I installed everything or had it installed. I had parts for my transmission and rear end for about a year or two before installing them. Im not afraid to throw something on credit either. If its a good deal and I dont have liquid, on the CC it will go. I bought my SB back in August, threw it on my CC. $4800 and I have payed back $2000 of the debt. $500 a month. :hi:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I buy stuff over time and it stacks in my garage, pretty simple. Then when I feel like it I install it or get it installed.
I won't ever break myself to mod my car like my dumb ass cousin, if he gets paid $500 $480 goes to mod his civic.

I make good enough money where I have a bit of extra to buy what I want so not much into credit debt, I really don't spend too much outside of bills for myself. I usually spend on others in my life like my family and girlfriend. keep it cash baby!!

I mean credit cards are a good way to get your credit score up that was my goal with them.
I probably have 2k in credit debt all under control and a credit score in the 770's aint too bad.

I do give my homeboys that weird look when they buy stupid shit with their tax return money like they are ballin :roflmao:

rayS197

Reaction score
I buy stuff over time and it stacks in my garage, pretty simple. Then when I feel like it I install it or get it installed.
I won't ever break myself to mod my car like my dumb ass cousin, if he gets paid $500 $480 goes to mod his civic.

I make good enough money where I have a bit of extra to buy what I want so not much into credit debt, I really don't spend too much outside of bills for myself. I usually spend on others in my life like my family and girlfriend. keep it cash baby!!

I mean credit cards are a good way to get your credit score up that was my goal with them.
I probably have 2k in credit debt all under control and a credit score in the 770's aint too bad.

I do give my homeboys that weird look when they buy stupid shit with their tax return money like they are ballin :roflmao:

You sold a perfectly good Procharger from your parts closet!! :asshat:

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
Well Im 35 and Im still paying for my mistakes from buying everything on my credit card 8-10 years ago on my WRX. At that time, I had the mentality of "charge now, pay it off ehhh whenever". Now I see the mistakes Ive made and it sucks because I cant even mod my SGT.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
You sold a perfectly good Procharger from your parts closet!! :asshat:
I know that's because I didn't want to build my engine and I would blow it up knowing how I run my car! plus someone else could be using it! I bought that procharger cash! lol :hi:

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nine months in Afghanistan paid for a supercharger that I've been putting off buying for five years. I had the money at the time, but it just wasn't right. Too many people need that instant gratification and realize that purchasing "stuff" doesn't make them any more fulfilled.

There's a lot of psychology behind materialism, and while I participate in the lifestyle (sort of), I am acutely self-aware. I know my tastes, and I know what I value - spending coin on those things will give me pleasure and won't leave me feeling empty. More people need to dig deeper and examine what makes them happier - chasing happiness through debt purchases only makes one more empty inside.

Also, studies show that people who save more money are happier than people who save less. Debt is slavery; wealth is freedom.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Saving money. Not having gotta have it right now itis. Those can help. You don't need to end up in debt to pay for everything.

Refused to boost the 3v until it was paid off even though I had people trying to get me to do it otherwise. Paid cash for the 5.0 and am going to have to wait to mod it until I get a fence put in at the new house and build up a bit more savings. It may be a year or two.

Oh well.

IndyEric

forum member
Reaction score
pay cash for everything and no credit cards, only debt I've had in years is a mortgage it took a while to get there though

swedensky

forum member
Reaction score
However I have another question - Has anyone ever used the PayPal "Bill Me Later" option before? I've always been curious about it, but am very protective of my credit standing. I'm not asking as a reason to judge you, I was just curious to know what your thoughts on it were.

I started using it about a month ago. Being in the car business I was wary to touch it because I'm trying to keep my credit above par, but it's cool. I was trying to test it out on a $60 purchase, they have me $1200 interest free for 6 mo. I used it all, paid it back and it seems like the interest free for 6 months is per purchase (like my best buy account for 18 mo free interest). When people pay me via paypal, I directly pay the bill me later debt. I haven't put "cash" into it yet. Which reminds me - everyone go buy my junk items on the for sale section so I can pay my bill me later!

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Buy cars cash, mods are ordered on cc but always payed off in full each month. Could afford power adder but want buy a house first, stupid priorities!

Not an attack on anyone here, my biggest shock is ppl building crazy while still having payment

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
the method that's been working for me is buying used. 75%+ of my car is built with used parts. and I have a lot of stuff still waiting to go on. I don't actively seek out parts. I don't decide im gonna buy this today. I constantly check the classifieds and when I see a good deal on something I want, ill buy it. this way im not constantly spending x amount of money on mods a month. I let my savings build up and when something good pops up, i jump on it

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
All cash for me. Live on my own and have 2 cars, buying my first home in the spring.

That's why my car is still only a bolt on car. Decided not to put the blower on the car until it's paid off & after my home purchase.

Credit cards got me in trouble in the past, very expensive lesson. Now that I'm debt free (credit card debt) I just use them to for credit purposes and pay cash for car mods. Whatever I do swipe on the card I do so with a plan of short term repayment. That's how I structure my budget at least, nothing wrong with using a credit card for car mods, I just prefer not to personally.

At this stage in my life with my first home purchase in effect, car mods have taken a lower position on the priority list.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
While were on this topic, I always found it comical how some younger people who are fortunate enough to have parents that help them out sit there and talk trash to people about their cars. I've had so many people that still live at home tell me "why don't you get a coyote", or brag about their 500whp car and poke fun at my 2006 with basic mods. Nothing against having parents that are helping you out, that is a great thing, however don't sit there and talk trash to people who are paying for their own shit that may have a car a little older or slower than yours.

Just my .02

Last edited:

Kuplex

Software Developer
Reaction score
Single with no kids, plenty of disposable income after all bills are paid. I was a credit modder when I was in my early 20s but decided to change my habits before it got out of control. I don't spend much on my car anymore though and put away a good chunk each month towards a house fund.
I guess I'm just getting old lol.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Nine months in Afghanistan paid for a supercharger that I've been putting off buying for five years. I had the money at the time, but it just wasn't right. Too many people need that instant gratification and realize that purchasing "stuff" doesn't make them any more fulfilled.

There's a lot of psychology behind materialism, and while I participate in the lifestyle (sort of), I am acutely self-aware. I know my tastes, and I know what I value - spending coin on those things will give me pleasure and won't leave me feeling empty. More people need to dig deeper and examine what makes them happier - chasing happiness through debt purchases only makes one more empty inside.

Also, studies show that people who save more money are happier than people who save less. Debt is slavery; wealth is freedom.

THis is the struggle of my life. Most people aren't awake enough to have thoughts like this. On the flip side with an system engineered to keep you in debt, a wage slave, sometimes the only way a lot of guys have to even gain little bits of enjoyment from the life of a wage slave, it's easier to borrow for the big things, lest you may never have them.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
this is true for a lot of people, and not just with cars. hell if you look at it from a macro scale most of our country is operating on a debt system from the $5hr worker to the corporate who take out business loans to purchase assets. as with many other things we have failed at finding a middle ground where we are borrowing enough to grow and/or enjoy our lives yet not being buried in debt.

I like your reference to wage slavery, I suppose you have taken a history class before?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
this is true for a lot of people, and not just with cars. hell if you look at it from a macro scale most of our country is operating on a debt system from the $5hr worker to the corporate who take out business loans to purchase assets. as with many other things we have failed at finding a middle ground where we are borrowing enough to grow and/or enjoy our lives yet not being buried in debt.

I like your reference to wage slavery, I suppose you have taken a history class before?

The famous company store and company money credits?

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I was a credit card modder until I blew my car up. Then I realized that I have a bunch of parts I owe money on and all I had was a blown motor. Now I try to use my cards more wisely. I'm still digging myself out of debt from that whole experience, but I won't be there again when its done. As much as I'd love to have a super fast car or a brand new car, the weight of the debt isn't worth it. My CC debt and the money I owe my parents for buying me a new engine causes me anxiety all the time.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back