How did you build your car?

myystanng

forum member
Reaction score
My advise is not to use credit of any sort. Search for deals on used parts and take your time building your car. And if you live at home build a huge savings account to use when appropriate and you will have much more come to blow later because of it. You'll never have another chance to save like you can right now.

Years ago I committed to a strategy of not saving one penny- I invest it all. And I've bout all my mods with the profits

2008-2009 thought me a thing or two about debt.

I would buy a car suitability modded already for penny's on the dollar....

lethe

V4g!n@ #er
Reaction score
I've used a cc for some stuff on a past vehicle but now everything is paid for in cash.

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
When I was in my 20s, I went into debt to finance car stuff. In my mid-20s, I started paying that debt off. In my late 20s, I paid it all off.

Now I'm in my early 30s, I have a small mortgage payment that I can make easily, and I took out a 2% loan to buy my car last year - it will be paid off in March of 2015. I am very fortunate and make a very comfortable living as well. I've only spent about seven grand in mods, (and $36K on the car) but I definitely do not go into debt to mod it. That's nuts. I also ensure that my 401K is maxed, my HSA is maxed, and all of my bills are comfortably paid before I spend money on the car. Plus I have a GF that I'm putting through medical school.

Go into debt up to your eyeballs to fund a car hobby is nuts.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
this is true for a lot of people, and not just with cars. hell if you look at it from a macro scale most of our country is operating on a debt system from the $5hr worker to the corporate who take out business loans to purchase assets. as with many other things we have failed at finding a middle ground where we are borrowing enough to grow and/or enjoy our lives yet not being buried in debt.

I like your reference to wage slavery, I suppose you have taken a history class before?

No, just someone who's aware.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I use credit card when I get incentives like cash back :)

Otherwise after expenses and bills I have plenty of the disposable income so I spend as I wish either modding my car or something else.

Also I try not to go overboard on things like if it's not worth it I wouldn't buy it regardless if I have the money or not. For example some mods are just expensive for no reason, if I can't justify it I don't buy it.

I also look for used parts and discounts when possible.

ChrisGT

Nice Shirt Bilkins
Reaction score
I dont know if I would agree with that. Im still in college, work an almost full time job, and my parents want me to stay at home. I think it would be dumb to be on my own and be in debt living paycheck to paycheck versus waiting another year or so and being better off starting to pay for a house. IMO renting is not something that I am interested doing when I have 1200 Sq. ft to myself.

I am 21 also, not 30 or 35.

In the same boat so I feel you on this. I get much more enjoyment by dropping a little cash on my hobby than pissing away money on rent. At least we get to keep the car and continue using it to work in. I don't plan on moving out right after graduation either... would rather have a nice safety net and buy a home well below what I could afford in a few years. Peer pressure says "get your own place, you pussy," but most of my friends who have their own places are broke.. or their parents pay for it.

I'm just over here like "I want an 800hp 3v lol"

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Wife just sent me this... Here is another problem...

IMG952242777779206_zps9f4103ff.jpg

mustangtcs

forum member
Reaction score
I buy old cars/trucks and fix them up and sell them. I use profit from the last one to buy the next one and when the profit margin is enough I take that cash and buy something I wanted, like my Kenne Bell I purchase this past summer. I used all profit and spent $0 of my own money. I do this with a lot of stuff. But I also purchased the Kenne Bell used. So really just wheeling and dealing. My car payment is just over a hundred a month because I only financed $5000. I put $10,000 down because I sold my foxbody and got $9000 for it. And guess how much I paid for the foxbody 2 years earlier..... $1200! I do all the work myself.

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
I work in the tool and die industry. I work for a company that takes in a lot of refurb work for Nissan and Toyota as well as we build all new dies for Q brand and Weber grill companies. I am welder by trade. Work anywhere from 55-85 hours a week. I simply have my build wrote down on paper. I start with the items needed first or bigger priced items. Once the extra cash is saved up, I order a part. Mark it off the list and put it up until I have more parts to go along with it. I have a 3 bedroom 2 bath house that I rent but have a good friend as a roommate that I split bills with. No car payment. Just insurance and household bills and cell.

TimMcc

Reaction score
Just cash here. Large incomes and bonuses between the wife and, we've been pretty lucky in our careers. Hard work pays off.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Borrow as much money as possible. When the economy collapses because of out of control government spending, O-care, collapse of the petro dollar, etc you won't have to pay any of it back.

Buy some beans and bullets with that borrowed money too though.:thumb2:

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score
If I could afford it, I'd spend thousands on my car. My income has been fairly modest over the past year so my only mods have been some suspension pieces and most of it used. Also, I have a son heading off to college next year that I'm going to help out in any way I can, even if it means selling the Mustang.

For the young guys that live at home I say live it up while you can as long as you're kicking some money back to mom & dad for rent and food.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I don't see how using credit to buy mods is different then the credit/loan that was used to get the car in the first place. Credit has to be paid back, so it's def not the free ride the OP seems to mistake it for.

On a more "real" note, credit may be the only way some guys can afford to get to that place where they hear the exhaust sing and the rear tires break traction sitting in the only seat in the world where they feel whole. If you pay it back, who the fck cares if it's bought with plastic.
The differences are in how you view that credit, how extensively you use it, and how you handle it.

Buying on plastic because it's a convenience that you can pay off in a couple of months is one thing. Letting it sit there costing you big finance money every month because you're barely paying the principal down is financial suicide. That was a sucker's deal to get yourself all wrapped up in even back in the days when you could count on your job being rock-solid stable and annual raises were all but guaranteed.

For about the first 20 years out of school - my degree and my marriage are both date-stamped 1970 - I know we didn't put any car expense on credit other than the purchases of the cars themselves. And I built/rebuilt engines, swapped powertrains, and upgraded suspensions pretty much when I wanted to or needed to because something broke (big hint here - learning how to do all of the work that doesn't require major machine shop equipment is huge in more ways than one). We didn't even hold a major CC to put automotive parts expenses on until I was almost 40, and to this day I'm a cash customer when it comes to gas, entertainment, and most of the smaller car-related expenses.

I still won't carry a CC balance on automotive parts, online track day registration fees, or the few diagnose & repair tasks that I've farmed out over the last year or so. I can see three sets of tires (likely Michelins) and one set of wheels (18x10" or wider) happening in the near future and even though I'm mostly retired I won't be financing any of that.

What I hope for you younger members is that you can manage to get your houses paid for and your kids educated/married off with a few years of good paying employment still ahead of you before you retire. Don't let being "car-poor" get in the way of this. Not having those expenses will go a long way toward seeing you through any lean times later in life. Never mind how I know this, just take my word for it.

Norm

Last edited:

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Car is paid off. (2 years 10 months)

I purchase everything in cash/debit card.

I've learned from my mistakes that I made when I was younger.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back