Hurst Shifter rattle fixed!!!!

hopesmasher

forum member
Reaction score
Im so freakin happy that I can barely stand myself. When I bought my car the Hurst short throw with the white ball was already on it. While I do love the shifter, whenever I would get over 4200 rpm or so it would "rattle". I read a ton of threads and heard a lot of different discussions about what it could be. To me it always seemed to be coming from the ball. So I bought a new ball from Speed Dawg. It came with an insert that fit my shifter. The ball is a bigger than the hurst but I dig it. As soon as I put it on I took it for a spin and no more rattle. That damn sound was drivig me nuts.
Pretty sure this falls under the tech thread but if not my appologies and feel free to move it.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
I have that shifter. It has a steel bearing instead of a nylon one. It is common for it to rattle at high rpms. If it starts to do it again this is what I did to quiet it down. I lifted both boots off from the inside of the car and gobbed some grease on top off the bearing. The hardest part is getting that bottom boot back on.

hopesmasher

forum member
Reaction score
very cool. Thanks for the info. If it starts up again Ill give that a shot.

classix_stang289

forum member
Reaction score
what about the damn wiggle! no matter what gear im in with my hurst shifter you can wiggle the damn thing side to side! i already checked that the chrome shifter handle is tight but there is loads of wiggle, not to mention the rattle. MGW SOON!

SUHleen

forum member
Reaction score
I think every shifter has a little side to side play, but that is just from my experience

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
I think it has that wiggle because the "H" pattern is in the transmission verses in the shifter in the old days.

300angryhorses

forum member
Reaction score
Resurrecting this because I finally stopped the rattle! I have a Hurst comp plus, and the rattle was driving me crazy. I just put RTV on the shifter handle where it bolts up to the shifter, and the rattle is gone.

Green Mamba

Reaction score
I lifted the boot and squirted a little Royal Purple on the Hurst's
mechanism, 2 years later and still rattle free. I also have that side to side play in every gear.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back