Inexpensive headunit?

Kaldar142

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been dying to use my iPod in my car but I hate all those fm transmitters and whatnot.

I would rather upgrade my headunit, so what options do I have for a plug n play headunit that won't break the bank?

Needs to be itouch compatible and a decent upgrade from the stock base model headunit

Btw I'm a super noob with audio stuff lol

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
i dont know what the other guy wants to pay but i want i touch screen with gps and dvd that isint going to crap out and all i seem to get with that is like a grand

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i dont know what the other guy wants to pay but i want i touch screen with gps and dvd that isint going to crap out and all i seem to get with that is like a grand

Are people scared of ebay or something? You can basically steal those things there. AVIC units are going for $5-600 brand new. Hell, I might pick me up one now that I'm thinking about it.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Kaldar142

Reaction score
Are those all quality headunits?

Do they make plug n play harnesses for them?

Although I wasn't looking for something like that maybe in the 200 range, I don't need something fancy just an upgrade from stock that I can use my iPod with

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you're looking to spend $200 you can get a quality head unit for that price. But you are not going to get GPS, touch screen, DVD, etc like what pieperez said he was wanting for that price. Just hit the Crutchfield web site and shop around. There is plenty of stuff there.

Kaldar142

Reaction score
Well now that I think about it, I would make great use of the GPS.

I'm thinking of getting that valor headunit, nice price to it

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ya know, in all honesty, it really isn't a bad unit. Sure, it isn't a big brand name. But seems to have most if not all of the same features as something costing a lot more. The ONLY thing I would investigate is the availability of updates for the navigation system. It looks as though it has NavMate software. Which is the same software used by Chrysler. Used to be made by Visteon but they discontinued it and it was picked up by Horizon Navigation.
I looked on their web site and they have updates for the Valor Nav-2 and the NVG-670W, but I did not see anything for the NVG-606W. Before you commit to it and take the chance of getting stuck with something that getting updates for is going to be a pain in the ass or rediculously expensive, you might want to give Horizon a call

Personally, if it were me I would probably consider spending the extra $150 and get that Eclipse AVN6620. Or better yet, look around on ebay and see if you can find a Kenwood DDX7015 or DDX8015 for cheap and then buy the Garmin Navigation add on unit and you will probably come out about the same on money spent.

Last edited:
Back