installed Pypes O/R X Pipe OMG !!!!!

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
OK
I have Ford Racing stingers
Car sounded ok
After the Detroit rockers installed, I knew that they needed better exhaust to breath
I still want to go turbo when funds allow it, so I bypassed headers and just went with a full x pipe.
Well good news No drone on the highway, thats a relief

Bad news I never knew what rasp was, Im 54 years old, my last real v8 was 69 Dodge Coronet 440 6 pack.
I was more into bikes and boating the last 35 years, we did build a Pontiac GTP , but that was a six cylinder and i installed headers with no cat.

I was really hoping to get back to the sound of my old RT or at least the Old 67,69,70 Mustangs we built with small blocks and headers.

But this sounds like a frickin Ricer WTF

Will I get used to this ( I donno )
The car does run a lot stronger with the mid pipe and a tune, But man it sounds like SHIT.

Does everyone put up with this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Silverrider

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, get an h pipe and you will like it a lot more.. I have lt's, o/r h pipe and frpp stingers, and I am going to weld in some m 80 pypes I think.. sounds good but a little trumpet around 2600 rpm's

keoni1984

Homicidal
Reaction score
Does everyone put up with this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL, yeah, pretty much. Go with a H-pipe, it won't sound as raspy.
I was doing the same as you (modding in preparation for a turbo). The obnoxiously loud and raspier o/r x just made me decide to pull the trigger on the turbo kit that much sooner.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Only time I have rasp is at 2500rpm, it can be anoyying if I linger in that range but I don't stay there much I actually like how it sounds sometimes going by an overpass lol.

Was going to put some resonators in the over axle pipe but I think I am happy with it.

b00stedgt

Reaction score
Leave the off road x pipe and put the stock mufflers back on. It isn't over bearingly loud and has a hallow pitch like the old 302 with longtubes and flowmasters

Sprayer84

forum member
Reaction score
The o/r x with any chambered muffler is really going to piss you off. I have the o/r x with stingers and I love it. Could use a pair of short resonators at times though.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
I went with an H pipe for this reason. I'm willing to give up 1 or 2 HP for what I consider a better sound.

Last edited:

ebrow21

forum member
Reaction score
I had that o/r x with cams in my 06. I had aftermarket mufflers as well, waaaay too loud. I put bullitt mufflers on it, quieted down and sounded great.

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
Only time I have rasp is at 2500rpm, it can be anoyying if I linger in that range but I don't stay there much I actually like how it sounds sometimes going by an overpass lol.

Was going to put some resonators in the over axle pipe but I think I am happy with it.

fdjizm Thats what I have it sounds funny, maybe its trumpeting im not sure, it comes on at about 22 to 2500 RPM
I have never heard anything like it before, I found my self shifting early to avoid it on the way home, maybe ill get better millage this way lol

Leave the off road x pipe and put the stock mufflers back on. It isn't over bearingly loud and has a hallow pitch like the old 302 with longtubes and flowmasters
Bummer no stock muff available

O/R H Pipe

/end thread.

That may be it
Need to look at an H pipe then
Funny on AM and all the other sites seems like the sell the x pipe 100 to 1 over the H pipe. Didnt see many wrote ups on the H pipe being preferred?

Last edited:

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
Fuck,now I worried. Just purchased some LTs and OR X. This will be my first OR X so I may have to ditch my Roush axelbacks for some Macs or Magnaflows.

06TORCHEDGT

forum member
Reaction score
I had the pypes off road h with stingers and I liked them, I changed out the h section with a x pipe piece and I love them! If you want to go to the h pipe I still have my h pipe section. PM me if youd be interested in it, it bolts right up no modding!

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
Fuck,now I worried. Just purchased some LTs and OR X. This will be my first OR X so I may have to ditch my Roush axelbacks for some Macs or Magnaflows.

Yea this whole X Pipe thing Sucks

So you think changing the axle back to magna flows will help?

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
I had the pypes off road h with stingers and I liked them, I changed out the h section with a x pipe piece and I love them! If you want to go to the h pipe I still have my h pipe section. PM me if youd be interested in it, it bolts right up no modding!

Pm coming
But you really like this noise at like 22 to 2500 RPM???
Maybe I need to post a video
maybe its just me

Roush05

forum member
Reaction score
Pm coming
But you really like this noise at like 22 to 2500 RPM???
Maybe I need to post a video
maybe its just me

I have bbk ceramic longtubes with an o/r x and I personally like it a lot. Here's an acceleration vid before I put my cams in:

Back