Intermittent Tiny Rattle

Crocket

Reaction score
Hi I have already asked this question a month ago had 2 responses of witch I have already checked
down shifting from 4th to 3rd tiny rattling sound and also when getting on it in 3rd I also get it
it sounds like it is coming from passenger rear some times I can drive 100 miles everything is fine
and then it starts again for the rest of my ride I live in the mountains and use 3rd gear a lot it is driving me crazy
any ideas?

Miker

Reaction score
Can you replicate it in any other gear?
I had a rattle that would only happen after my car had fully warmed up. Turned out to be a muffler hanger that was rubbing the rear bumper support. The exhaust grew about 3/8ths of an inch when hot. To me the rattle sounded like it was coming from the rear deck or inside the rear side panel. Vibration noises can be hard to pin down. I was lucky to find it.

Crocket

Reaction score
It might have something to do with the exhaust that is what I have been thinking since it started happening
but I have gone all over the exhaust every thing is tight and all looks good

MrBhp

Reaction score
When you checked the exhaust was the car sitting on all four tires? Or jack stands?

moooosestang

Reaction score
It might have something to do with the exhaust that is what I have been thinking since it started happening
but I have gone all over the exhaust every thing is tight and all looks good
you will need to check it when hot. As was mentioned the exhaust will move rearward a lot when hot. A lot more than you'd think anyway. try loosening the exhaust clamps when cold and sliding everything more foward if you can, then retighten. See if it changes anything.

Crocket

Reaction score
it was on a lift at at a ford dealer getting my inspection I know the mechanic we checked it out together

crjackson

Reaction score
Turned out to be a muffler hanger that was rubbing the rear bumper support.
I’m having a similar rattle myself. Started after removing the driver’s side axle-back and reinstalling (it wasn’t installed correctly and had one of the J-Hooks not installed into the hanger eyelet).

After correcting that issue, I have now created a very annoying rattle that sounds like it’s coming from the rear deck. I’ve had no luck at all curing this so far. I repositioned everything and the rattle stopped for 2 days. I thought I fixed it, but it remains.

I feel your pain OP. Good luck. I’ll try again when the weather warms up.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back