iPod integration

Tungsten06

forum member
Reaction score
I really hate to bring this topic up again, but Ive been through old threads and looked at different products and it all seems a little confusing. I was going to get an aftermarket head unit, but the ones with all the features I want got pretty expensive.

All I want is to be able to listen to Pandora and my iPod through the radio. I dont care about controling anything but volume from the stock radio and I would prefer to be able to charge the iPod when connected. Most importantly I want a device that is strictly plug and play.

Can anyone recommend something that meets that criteria? Some products list being compatible with 07+, but I'll find threads stating they work on older model Mustangs as well. Some models mentioned in old threads have been discontinued or updated. Just need a little guidance.

Tungsten06

forum member
Reaction score
I've been eyeing that unit. But having a volume knob instead of buttons is a big thing for me.

I was thinking of something more like this:

http://pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=387&CategoryID=36

I'm just really unsure of what products are sure to work. Seems like a lot of descriptions I find are kinda vague. I'll replace the HU if I need to, but it seems like using a cannon to kill a fly in my case. If I can find a way to hardwire my Iphone I'll be happy.

Irishman

Ricer
Reaction score
Do you have a car charger now? If so I have been using the motorola t505 and has worked great. It is a bluetooth wireless fm transmitter. Its nice because you can just take it with you to any vehicle, no wires and the battery life is around 3 weeks. It also allows you to take and make phone calls if you ever wanted to get a phone that does it all. Another cool thing is it has a built in speaker that is pretty loud so you could listen to your movies and music louder. They are pretty cheap at newegg.com around $50.

Tungsten06

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have a car charger now? If so I have been using the motorola t505 and has worked great. It is a bluetooth wireless fm transmitter. Its nice because you can just take it with you to any vehicle, no wires and the battery life is around 3 weeks. It also allows you to take and make phone calls if you ever wanted to get a phone that does it all. Another cool thing is it has a built in speaker that is pretty loud so you could listen to your movies and music louder. They are pretty cheap at newegg.com around $50.

I'll check that out. Not sure if my iPhone will stream music via bluetooth though. I've actually been using a FM transmitter for months, but the quality is horrible and it seems I can't find a clear station. That or a station I think will work gets horrible interference a few miles down the road.

Irishman

Ricer
Reaction score
The nice thing with the t505 is it picks the station for you. The quality is pretty good too. I love mine and take it with me from car to car.

bcb06gt

Reaction score
I went the cheap route. Added the device that plugs into the CAN-bus in the back of the radio. Uses Ipod cable with RCA jacks and charges the Ipod (this is based on the cable you buy separate). Mine was about $75 total. Everything is controlled fom the Ipod (Iphone in my case).

I know I posted model and links and previous threads.

bcb06gt

Reaction score
I've been eyeing that unit. But having a volume knob instead of buttons is a big thing for me.

I was thinking of something more like this:

http://pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=387&CategoryID=36

I'm just really unsure of what products are sure to work. Seems like a lot of descriptions I find are kinda vague. I'll replace the HU if I need to, but it seems like using a cannon to kill a fly in my case. If I can find a way to hardwire my Iphone I'll be happy.

That is FM integration. You want the true Ipod cable integration via RCA connectors.

Tungsten06

forum member
Reaction score
I went the cheap route. Added the device that plugs into the CAN-bus in the back of the radio. Uses Ipod cable with RCA jacks and charges the Ipod (this is based on the cable you buy separate). Mine was about $75 total. Everything is controlled fom the Ipod (Iphone in my case).

I know I posted model and links and previous threads.

Found it. PAC AAI-FRD04. I just always hate tapping into the stock wire harness. Electrical stuff I'm not very confident about.

I saw you mentioned Brand Motion as well. It looks to be an entirely plug and play setup, but at $130 AND $30 for the cable just to be able to charge the ipod I may just go with the PAC unit. I'm surprised there isn't more of a selection of these things on the market.

bcb06gt

Reaction score
I have been having mine for 2 years now. Cable to charge Iphone/Ipod is $10 on Ebay. Amazon has a good price for the pac unit.

RideThePony14

Reaction score
ISIMPLE TRANZIT I got this for my car for $70!!! It is a universal iPod/iPhone/mp3 player integration kit. It took me about an hr to install, hardest part was splicing in a power source to the power source above the radio. Sound is great plus it charges your iPod/iPhone while you use it an yes you can use pandora with it. Great investment, you can get it at any electronics store or online.

Here's mine in action:

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw0Pm1syXUk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

bcb06gt

Reaction score
ISIMPLE TRANZIT I got this for my car for $70!!! It is a universal iPod/iPhone/mp3 player integration kit. It took me about an hr to install, hardest part was splicing in a power source to the power source above the radio. Sound is great plus it charges your iPod/iPhone while you use it an yes you can use pandora with it. Great investment, you can get it at any electronics store or online.

Here's mine in action:

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw0Pm1syXUk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I thought those were FM type devices? The Pac one is not FM.

RideThePony14

Reaction score
All you have to do is plug in the harness into the back of your radio(into the antenna port) then plug the antenna cable into the harness. When you turn on the iSimple is cancels out the radio frequency on the set channel leaving a not static sound then you play your iPod and the music plays through your speakers without frequency issues. If you watch my video you can see and hear the process.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score

Tungsten06

forum member
Reaction score
So I've been incredibly lazy and just got around to putting this in yesterday. Really simple install. The hardest part is figuring out where to mount the box and run the wires and trying to cram everything behind the radio. I mounted the box with some velcro in the glovebox for easy access and have the connector for the Ipod coming out from under the passenger side of the center console. I'd post pics but I can't upload anymore to the site.

Sound quality between this and a FM transmitter is just night and day. No more interference, hissing, and having to crank the volume way up just to hear whats playing. Text info shows up on the radio. Some functions can be controlled through the radio buttons such as artist and album, but there is also a function to control everything through the iPod to allow for things like Pandora.

Definitely worth it if you can scoop it up with a Crutchfield coupon. A little more than a lot of the FM transmitters out there, but WAY cheaper than swapping out the entire radio. All in all I give it 4/5 iPods.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back