Is this the Coyote tick?

ClemsonS197

forum member
Reaction score
Coyote donor motor in a Factory Five. My motor started to do this since I got the O2's connected. It used to quickly go away. Now it stays. It's definitely the drivers side. Pass side seems fine. Once you come off idle you don't notice any noise. Also, can't feel air coming from anywhere so I don't think it's an exhaust leak.

Thoughts?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That sounds like an exhaust leak, not the "tick," which is caused by a bad timing chain tensioner.

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
I have what I think is an exhaust leak coming from the driver side header area. I took it in and they did the tensioner TSB. The noise is still there. I will probably end up taking the header off inspect it and replace the gasket. That kinda sounds like mine but mine is real faint. Then again you pretty much have open headers.

Last edited:

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Hard to tell, but I would start at exhaust leak. What kind of header bolts and gaskets you use?

ClemsonS197

forum member
Reaction score
Hard to tell, but I would start at exhaust leak. What kind of header bolts and gaskets you use?

Header bolts are a mix of stock studs/nuts and grade 8 bolts. The header flange and tubes don't allow the use of all the studs.

The gasket is OEM Ford.

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
Took mine in for the clutch leak and I let them know the noise on the driver side was still there. We'll see what they say this time. Not trying to highjack your thread but they may be similar problems.

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
Smoke test the exhaust. It will be easy since you have the sidepipes.

The off idle response makes me think exhaust leak.

ClemsonS197

forum member
Reaction score
Exhaust leak at the block. Got new gaskets. Now which way are they oriented? Concave or convex side against the block?

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
Good to hear you got it fixed. I'm gonna bite the bullet and replace that gasket on mine. Anyone one know where to get them at a good price? My dealer will probably want to rape me.

Last edited:

ClemsonS197

forum member
Reaction score
Welp, thought I had it fixed but I don't.

So, here's where I'm at:

So I'm at a loss. The drivers side of my motor has a serious ticking. Originally I thought it was a gasket leak. But I guess not. Here's what happened.

Installed Factory Five headers and J-pipes. That went smooth. Drivers side sounds fine as shown in this video:

Then I pulled the FFR headers for the Stainless Headers. At first the motor only ticked at idle on a cold motor. Once it got some heat, the tick went away. Then they started to tick constantly. So I ordered new gaskets, pulled the headers and reinstalled. Now it still sounds like the video in the original post.

I pulled all the belts off the motor for a second to see if it was the infamous Coyote pulley tick and no change. So then I pulled the sidepipes off and just left the headers on and it's even louder. The drivers side also backfires like crazy.

The entire time I've had the radiator and cooling fan operational. So I wasn't running the motor dry. I also have no heater bypass so it flows coolant constantly.

Drivers side plugs:

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
Might be the tensioner recall. They did it on mine thinking maybe that's what it could be but not in my case. Main reason I traded it in. However on mine it sounded like a cracked header or gasket leak.

ClemsonS197

forum member
Reaction score
The issue was 2 bad spark plugs.

After swapping the coil over plugs from passenger side to drivers side with no change, I started to disconnect each individual pack while the motor was running. Cylinders 1 and 4 of the drivers side had zero change on the idle and tick. Any of the other 6 cylinders changed the idle to very, very rough. I figured there was issue with spark. I pulled 1 cylinder plug out and attached it to the coil pack. Grounded the plug against the chassis, started the motor, and nothing. Did this same with cylinder 4 and nothing. So I pulled cylinder 3 and it sparked perfect. So I swapped spark plug 1 to 2, 4 to 3 and vice versa and the rough cylinder issue moved to 2 and 3. Bad spark plugs. Chased my tail all weekend to find $10 worth of spark plugs ruined my to do list. Can't complain too much, at least it was a cheap fix.

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
Well that's good to hear. Could've been my issue but the dealer probably didn't even try to find little things like that.

2012Coyote

Fuggit.
Reaction score
Good to hear that's all it was. I was worried it was a #8.

On another note, that's about the craziest exhaust setup I've seen... 4-1-4? Its there a reason to this other than fitment?

ClemsonS197

forum member
Reaction score
Good to hear that's all it was. I was worried it was a #8.

On another note, that's about the craziest exhaust setup I've seen... 4-1-4? Its there a reason to this other than fitment?

It's Factory Fives lazy ass solution for exhaust. It's since been replaced. Check out my build thread.

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
How do you like your kit? I was dreaming about the '33 hot rod kit they make. That would be awesome with a Coyote motor.

Back