Just added 40 series Flowmasters

RadStang

RADstang
Reaction score
I just installed Flowmaster 40 series axleback mufflers, have a FRPP CAI and am running a Brenspeed tune and now my car is REALLY missing under WOT. Do I need another tune since I added the axlebacks???

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
I just installed Flowmaster 40 series axleback mufflers, have a FRPP CAI and am running a Brenspeed tune and now my car is REALLY missing under WOT. Do I need another tune since I added the axlebacks???

certainly shouldn't. No other mods ? Just mufflers ? Try putting the stockers back on, I guess then you'd know, but I never heard of a misfire from axle backs b4.

Miracle

"Shall not be infringed"
Reaction score
What does it actually sound like? Especially with aftermarket mufflers, what you THINK may be a misfire, may just be nothing at all.

A video maybe?

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
For sure do not need a tune because of the mufflers. Do you feel the "miss" or just hearing it??

ayabrego

Sprayed yaaa
Reaction score
Are you sure its missing? Or is it back fire I know its two different things but I dont think you would be missing because of muffler

+1 for video

RadStang

RADstang
Reaction score
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough, I had originally put a FRPP CAI on, for that I needed a tune that I got from Brenspeed, so.... It is axle backs PLUS a CAI. After adding the axlebacks, at WOT, it acts like it is cutting out, especially from 2nd to 3rd at about 4,000-5,500 RPM. Sorta like the over-rev limiter.

Liberty911

forum member
Reaction score
Congrats on tech thread of the day. And here's your sign. I see this thread as having a home in Pitstop very shortly.

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
if it is misfiring it should throw a code

yes it will.....are you getting any CELs....are you paranoid and making something out of nothing?

So you havent tuned the car since adding a FRPP CAI and the mufflers? What kind of FRPP CAI is it, 85mm Bullitt or the 90mm

Wicked Pissah

forum member
Reaction score
i made a post a while back about this, i also have flowmaster axel back not sure if there 40 or 50 series, but my car is completely stock besides a short throw shifter, and when ever i rev it in any gear over 4500 it sounds like its hitting the rev limiter,like a big power loss, and it just farts around...maybe its our mufflers, in the thread i made the topic of clogged cats came up.. but now that i see this, prolly just the mufflers..

RadStang

RADstang
Reaction score
yes it will.....are you getting any CELs....are you paranoid and making something out of nothing?

So you havent tuned the car since adding a FRPP CAI and the mufflers? What kind of FRPP CAI is it, 85mm Bullitt or the 90mm

No, I was hoping that re-installing the original Brenspeed tune that was made for just the CAI (which is the Bullitt 85mm) would make the sensors recognize the increased airflow out the backend. I am not tech savy so don't fully understand all the cars computer related stuff.

RadStang

RADstang
Reaction score
i made a post a while back about this, i also have flowmaster axel back not sure if there 40 or 50 series, but my car is completely stock besides a short throw shifter, and when ever i rev it in any gear over 4500 it sounds like its hitting the rev limiter,like a big power loss, and it just farts around...maybe its our mufflers, in the thread i made the topic of clogged cats came up.. but now that i see this, prolly just the mufflers..

Thats almost exactly what I am experiencing... at about 4500 RPM it is like the rev limiter is kickin in....

Wicked Pissah

forum member
Reaction score
i was on the high way last night trying to get a better idea of what it sounded like so i kept it in third gear at about 4500K and the check engine light started blinking and i had to accel. i think the blinking check engine light means a missfire somewhere.. i dont know how to check codes.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
i was on the high way last night trying to get a better idea of what it sounded like so i kept it in third gear at about 4500K and the check engine light started blinking and i had to accel. i think the blinking check engine light means a missfire somewhere.. i dont know how to check codes.

use the tuner Luke,,,,, it has a code reader. Then you'll have to interpret the code, but at least you'll have a place to start.

waldogt07

forum member
Reaction score
Thats kind of crazy....I have the Flowmaster 40 series and have never had a problem like that and I have many more engine mods than a cold air intake....I have had my Flows on for about 3 years now...I know that they do have a more raspy old school sound when you rev the engine.....maybe it is just something you are not used to yet....Hope you find out what it is if it is even anything....Keep us posted...

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
Thats kind of crazy....I have the Flowmaster 40 series and have never had a problem like that and I have many more engine mods than a cold air intake....I have had my Flows on for about 3 years now...I know that they do have a more raspy old school sound when you rev the engine.....maybe it is just something you are not used to yet....Hope you find out what it is if it is even anything....Keep us posted...

it aint the muffs, the OP swapped in a cai, a tune and FM's.

Wicked Pissah

forum member
Reaction score
yea i checked the plugs, all good there, im thinking now its gotta be the coilpacks. it only acts up when the car is warmed up, so i think when the coilpacks are under load( fast accel.) they cant produce enough power, so they crap out. i dunno wich one it is though,i should just replace them all with high performance coilpacks

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
I wouldnt be so quick to jump on the coil packs....is the car throwing a misfire code? If not check the back on the manifold where the CMCV control box is, there are a set of metal acuator arms that control the CMCVs, make sure your wiring harness isnt laying on it or there isnt anything in the way of those arms moving....COPs will run you $60 a piece from Ford or near $400 for a new set.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back