Just want to burn rubber

Mustangdale

Reaction score
I just got a bone stock 2013 gt convertible with the auto trans. This is a daily driver that sees a lot of stop and go to and from work, which is why I didn't get a manual (hate if you must). I really like it so far but it won't burn rubber (or whatever the kids call it these days) to my liking.

Not worried about quarter mile times, I just would like it to lay some black stripes about 30 feet long when I feel like it.

Did a lot of reading and searching about tunes and gears but most of the posts are about track times and actually going fast rather than destroying tires. I'm wondering if a tune alone will give me the desired result or if I need to put gears in it or do both.

I drive it a lot so I would like the option that affects drivability the least. Mileage isn't a big concern nor is tire expense. I take it autocrossing from time to time if that matters.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Get a 12v compressor. Pump the rear tires to about 45 psi and let it eat.

king_13

Reaction score
Shorter gears, and disable traction control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I thought the 6R80 had a really short first gear already? IMO gears aren't going to give you the results you're looking for.

There are tons of electronic nannies on the new cars. Traction control and torque management is way more technically involved than in older cars. A basic canned tune from a reputable tuner such as VMP or Lund will give you what you're looking for. Justin at VMP has spent a lot of time refining the 6R80 transmission tuning as well, and all that research has been incorporated into his tunes.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I find it funny that these boys dont know how to get a 400 hp car to burn rubber. My 3.15 auto car would easily blow the tires off when stock, now it just destroys them.

Mustangdale

Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback.

I was leaning toward a tune from bobcat or someone else around here but wasn't sure if that would make a big difference in grunt off the line or if you feel the improvement mostly in the higher revs.

Also, will a tune make it shift any harder?

To clarify, the car does burn rubber with all the nannies turned off, it's just that right now I am laying 5 foot stripes and I would rather lay 30 foot stripes and scratch second.

Thanks again.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The hardness of the shifting is almost infinitely adjustable via the tune. I have no idea who 'Bobcat' is. Most of the difference you will feel with a good tune will be off the line, although it will also pull harder all the way to redline.

Mine is a manual, not an auto, but I can smoke second and chirp third.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
Get just simple touring tires, decent road tire for highway but not for performance stand point and every where you go you will chirp them.

If not an everyday driver, use summer tires in the winter, you will break them free all the time under 40 degrees! Just don't drive in the snow with them as you will be stuck or lose control of the car and die

wckdgt

forum member
Reaction score
Are you trying to do a power brake burnout? Auto's won't do it because in the factory tune they "brake over accelerator" programmed into them. I had the same problem with mine, once I got my tune it was all good

Mustangdale

Reaction score
Glad to hear that the tune helps off the line.

Not trying to power brake but that is good to know.

I think I will try a tune first and see where that leads.

Thank you.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Most aftermarket tunes will wake up the throttle response and shift firmness in the 6R80's dramatically. Laying rubber will be so much easier with a tune. I tend to drive with the traction control and advancetrac on for daily drive as I can easily spin through first and second, part way through third, and chirp fourth on dry pavement when the nannies are turned off (on high performance all-season radials - Eagle F1 SuperCar Assymetric 275/40/19's on the back).

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I find it funny that these boys dont know how to get a 400 hp car to burn rubber. My 3.15 auto car would easily blow the tires off when stock, now it just destroys them.

So are you saying that those of us who have auto coyote Mustangs that struggle to break traction have issues with the car, or can't push the gas pedal as hard, or as good as you?

When I had my manual 2012, I raced a red 13, or 14 6r80 mustang at the track several times, and when I asked him why he didn't at least have drag radials, he claimed it wouldn't spin, and he also had a "tune" and obviously some exhaust. At that time, I really didn't believe him about his auto not spinning, and now that I own one, I can certainly believe him. I'm not a fan of spinning at all, but I'd like to be able to if I wanted to.

I have a converter and tune from Mike Rousch coming next week and hopefully it changes a whole lot. BTW my new 2011 auto 5,0 cannot hardly spin the tires, but it traps very similarly to my manual 2012 Coyote Stang I had, and that car could easily make quite a smoke show, especially considering it only had gears, axle back mufflers, and drag radials.

I'm glad your car seems to be pretty stout being able to do what others cannot, but I really don't think there can be much difference in drivers in an auto, and maybe your car has better tuning from the factory somehow?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I think a lot of the differences can be chalked up to pavement and weather (also elevation.)

My car burns the tires to cinders or hooks not bad depending on the day and surface I'm driving on.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So are you saying that those of us who have auto coyote Mustangs that struggle to break traction have issues with the car, or can't push the gas pedal as hard, or as good as you?

I know plenty of stock autos that will spin the tires, easily. Mine was stock all of one day before it had a tune on it. I blew the tires off of it leaving the dealership. Turn all the nannies off and floor it, if it doesnt spin then imo yes something isnt right. Maybe a weak factory tune, i dont know. At my local track there are a ton of stock coyotes, mostly older guys and women and they blow the tires off of them and run like 13.8 stock with 2.2-2.4 60's.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
launching on the track surface on radials after going through the water box....

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You have never been to my track, its easy to drive around the water box. There are plenty of family cars out there on street tires and they have no problem with spinning off the line.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back