K&N Cold Air Intake - No tune required

Hcbr929rr2

forum member
Reaction score

Not to be an ass, but I read it, then I read through the 4 pages of comments on it, and half the comments are saying the same thing I am, in no way shape or form does that test change anything, they ran three runs with the factory filter, waited 30min, then 3 runs with the K&N filter (heatsoaked....) with all my experience around dyno's and tuning I would honestly bet money that if you dyno'd the K&N first then dyno'd the factory filter after waiting 30min you would see opposite results, they both flow almost exactly the same, the winner is always going to be the one that dyno's first, just my .02....

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
Not to be an ass, but I read it, then I read through the 4 pages of comments on it, and half the comments are saying the same thing I am, in no way shape or form does that test change anything, they ran three runs with the factory filter, waited 30min, then 3 runs with the K&N filter (heatsoaked....) with all my experience around dyno's and tuning I would honestly bet money that if you dyno'd the K&N first then dyno'd the factory filter after waiting 30min you would see opposite results, they both flow almost exactly the same, the winner is always going to be the one that dyno's first, just my .02....

Wile probably true, it still proves the drop in filter is a waste of money.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Its only a waste if youd rather keep throwing a paper filter in your car.

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score

Pretty much a non issue with the low amount of mileage I drive. I guess if you're doing an air filter change every year or something then it might save you money... Regardless, my point was focused on the performance aspect, not the lower TCO of the washable filter.

Hcbr929rr2

forum member
Reaction score

agreed, this is all I was getting at, I too see it as a bit of a waste if I see no performance gain from it, but I guess if you live in an extremely dusty area, or you put miles on your car like crazy and are buying new filters all the time then it may make some monetary sense to be using the K&N filter

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The AEM intake doesn't require a tune, either. While it did nothing for power (AEM claims a peak gain of 8 horsepower, which could be a rounding error in my opinion), it did help somewhat with throttle response.

It's a nice mod if you don't want to void your warranty.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back