Lash adjuster question

Zach Baumann

Reaction score
I am in the middle of rebuilding my 3v and about 2 years ago I replaced the lash adjusters and rocker arms. Now when I’m putting the lash adjusters back in some are rock hard and ooze out a bit of oil while some are softer and squeeze down to prime. Are the hard ones bad? Or the soft ones bad? Or are they all okay?

Last edited:

SVT Rider

Reaction score
The lash adjusters have a check valve in them and should be rock hard when filled with oil. If they bleed down with pressure, then the check valve is not doing its job.

Now, that said, since you mentioned these are new ones, did you soak them in oil and bench bleed them by hand until hard before installing? If not, then they could still have air in them which would bleed down like you are seeing.

SVT Rider

Reaction score
Actually, I just re-read your first statement. It sounds like these lash adjusters are 2-years old, so they should have been purged by the oil from the engine. It sounds like the soft ones are suspect bad.

SVT Rider

Reaction score
Yeah, I would suspect those that bleed down with pressure are not doing their job correctly.
I am curious. How many of the 24 are soft and squeeze down to prime?

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
When the lash adjuster has no oil in it you can push the plunger in and it will spring back out. Put it in a cup of oil and pump the plunger a few times to force the air out and draw oil in. When full, remove the adjuster from the container of oil and try to push the plunger in. Do not block the hole in the end of the plunger. It should take more than 5 seconds but less than 25 seconds to push the plunger in. Oil should come out through the plunger and not the hole in the side of the body. I have read elsewhere that 10 to 15 seconds is a good bleed time.

Zach Baumann

Reaction score
When the lash adjuster has no oil in it you can push the plunger in and it will spring back out. Put it in a cup of oil and pump the plunger a few times to force the air out and draw oil in. When full, remove the adjuster from the container of oil and try to push the plunger in. Do not block the hole in the end of the plunger. It should take more than 5 seconds but less than 25 seconds to push the plunger in. Oil should come out through the plunger and not the hole in the side of the body. I have read elsewhere that 10 to 15 seconds is a good bleed time.
So if when I press the plunger down and oil comes out the small side hole I need to replace the lash adjuster?

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I would add, it is the time it takes to collapse the lash adjuster that determines whether it is good or not. Not just where the oil comes out.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back