Last ditch effort, need help

Failborne

Reaction score
So been having a rough idle issue for the last two weeks, been trying to self trouble shoot getting advice from my tuner, even adjusting the tune a few times. I had the boss intake manifold, Accufab TB, and JLT CF CAI on the car for about 5 days before I put the BBK LT's and O/R X. Same tune. Started getting the rough idle after I put the headers on. I have taken the intake manifold off and reinstalledntondouble check everything... Checked all vacuum lines via smoke test, checked all connections. I ran the car for a couple days only with one upstream O2 sensor because I couldn't get B2 connected. Is there anything I'm missing to check or do before I spend money taking it to someone? Idle is bad enough to stall the engine at times, and what confuses me is it isn't all the time, sometimes she idles fine sometimes rough, seems to be worse when the heater is on. Thanks - Kris

Bud

forum member
Reaction score
Is the tune setup for no cats? Assuming you've done a KAM reset after you hooked the other O2 sensor up? Not sure if reflashing whipes KAM or not.

Also running 02 extensions or not? Any codes or logs give any clues of what the car is doing?

Failborne

Reaction score
Tune is for cat less X. No KAM reset was done also only code that tripped was the B2S1 heater when it wasn't connected (P0155). Also no extension was used for the O2 sensors. No logs yet just looked up how to data log the sct sf3 handheld I have.

Is the tune setup for no cats? Assuming you've done a KAM reset after you hooked the other O2 sensor up? Not sure if reflashing whipes KAM or not.

Also running 02 extensions or not? Any codes or logs give any clues of what the car is doing?

Tune is for cat less X. No KAM reset was done also only code that tripped was the B2S1 heater when it wasn't connected (P0155). Also no extension was used for the O2 sensors. No logs yet just looked up how to data log the sct sf3 handheld I have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Failborne

Reaction score
Soooo did the KAM reset....still Idling like crap it really sounds like the car is misfiring pulled plugs they look fine and no codes are tripping but it has popping noises in the exhaust and it feels like its missing when your in the car but pulls strong once above 1500 rpm. Probably just going to take it in or drop a thermite grenade on her....

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
I'd try a different tuner before I just dropped it off and told somebody to "fix" it. If you are running a BAMA tune that I see in your sig, no telling who put that tune together at BAMA. some of those guys are better than others but for the 5.0, I'd go with somebody else. Give Shaun@AED a call. He'll give you the time of day and actually talk to you about your tune/car.

Failborne

Reaction score
I can try a different tune, they have sent me 3 different revisions of the tune to no avail, After doing the KAM reset it sounded horrible at first start up and thought the car was going to shake itself loose, like a 572 on solid mounts running a .600 lift cam, she calmed down after about a minute. Not sure to the truth to the statement but i was told that the SCT SF3 can not data log to the laptop that i need the X3, if anyone can verify this for me that would be great.

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
I can try a different tune, they have sent me 3 different revisions of the tune to no avail, After doing the KAM reset it sounded horrible at first start up and thought the car was going to shake itself loose, like a 572 on solid mounts running a .600 lift cam, she calmed down after about a minute. Not sure to the truth to the statement but i was told that the SCT SF3 can not data log to the laptop that i need the X3, if anyone can verify this for me that would be great.

its going to do that at first as it is relearning everything.

As stated by Jewc75....do you have the 02 extensions in?

Try a different tuner. I believe you can get a tune through Steeda for $65, C&L is $50 - $100, and AED for $250.

Steeda and C&L are great all around tune.

AED is more personalized. Shaun will actually work with you and have you pull logs on your car. I went this route and even rented a dyno for an hour to do my logs for safety.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score

Not tune....................TUNER.

Call Shaun@AED. He'll get you sorted. Your "build" is nothing out of the ordinary so unless you messed something up, tuning your car is a piece of cake to an experienced tuner.

Last edited:

Failborne

Reaction score
Yes the JLT is installed correctly, I posted above that I am not using the O2 extensions and what is bothering me is that the idle was a little rough when i put the Intake, TB and Manifold on, ran it that way for three days beofre i could get access to the lift and do the headers, after i got the headers on is when the idle got real bad, but i meant Tuner when i said tune. Not sure and it might be a really dumb question b ut when i took the Boss Manifold off to double check things, the whole inside of it was layered with a thin film of fuel, i figured that would be normal but wasnt sure. Contacting Shaun today. Not that greatest at trouble shooting these cars thanks all for the help

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
can you switch back to the OEM TB?

There is a thread here where someone else was having issue with their Accufab TB.

Its a 10 minute job and worth trying.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
can you switch back to the OEM TB?

There is a thread here where someone else was having issue with their Accufab TB.

Its a 10 minute job and worth trying.

Don't eliminate the o2 sensors yet. You could have a bad one causing the issues. Is the check engine light on? If so, what is the code?

Check the sensor connections for bent pins as well.

If the car was running fine before the headers, I would start with the last thing changed before the issue occurred.

Failborne

Reaction score
No codes are tripped, the only code that has been tripped since the install was the P0155 when i could find the tie that was holding back the driver side upstream female connector. ran the car like this for 2 days till i was informed where i could find this tie, since then the car has been DTC free, Not sure if there is a way to test the O2 sensors but i dont really feel like buying new upstream sensors sicne they arent the cheapest thing to go out and replace if its not needed.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
No codes are tripped, the only code that has been tripped since the install was the P0155 when i could find the tie that was holding back the driver side upstream female connector. ran the car like this for 2 days till i was informed where i could find this tie, since then the car has been DTC free, Not sure if there is a way to test the O2 sensors but i dont really feel like buying new upstream sensors sicne they arent the cheapest thing to go out and replace if its not needed.

If there are no codes most likely the o2's are fine.

I would start with the other hardware pieces and get a tune that will work with the stock CAI. Install the stock TB, if the issue persists, install the stock CAI and upload the tune for that. If the issue persists there is some other problem that isn't standing out and would probably be best diagnosed in person or through some datalogs.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back