launch master wiring figured out for 5m's

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
started another thread because i figured those who looked at the other thread of mine might not be interested any longer.

after much head scratching and not being able to understand why i couldn't get 12v to the launch master, i finally got it figured. the lower clutch switch pedal is just a switched ground, not a hot 12v source. you can read a little voltage from the light blue wire to ground, but i believe it's probably a backfeed. when connecting the white wire for the launch master to the black wire of the clutch switch, it was impossible to get 12v...however the trusty volt/ohm meter revealed that the black side of the switch is a constant ground.

what all this means is that if you have a standard transmission, you can abandon the reed/magnetic switch set up completely. all that is necessary is to tap the solid blue wire of the launch master to the light blue wire of the clutch switch and eureka...a switched ground is available...just like the instructions call for.

works like a champ

1BADHRSE

forum member
Reaction score
What i am trying to figure out for myself is that if you are driving and decided to rev match, can you if your launch master is set to 3,800??? and you want to rev match at 4,500 per say???

I was thinking about wiring it into a switch in my SOS cup holder since I have 2 open???

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What i am trying to figure out for myself is that if you are driving and decided to rev match, can you if your launch master is set to 3,800??? and you want to rev match at 4,500 per say???

I was thinking about wiring it into a switch in my SOS cup holder since I have 2 open???

IIRC, the answer is yes. This is from MSD's website:

Note: The engine rpm must drop more than one third of the set launch limit in order to activate. For example, if the launch limit is set at 3,000 rpm, the engine speed must drop below 2,000 rpm in order for the launch limit to become active (one third of 3,000 rpm is a 1,000 rpm drop).

So, once you launch, the 2-step will not activate again unless your RPMs drop more than 1/3 of the launch limit.

Last edited:

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You sure about this?

no...my mistake....you quoted my post before i edited it...after reading your post. i was letting the rpm's drop too far while doing my little evaluation

however my motor cuts off when shifting over 6k anyway

1BADHRSE

forum member
Reaction score
Wow guys I appreciate that the response and it looks like I will be wiring it up just like you have stated rojizostang!!!!

Thanks a bunch puts my mind at ease!!!

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i would have taken some pictures, but i'm too old and my butt is tired from working upside down under the dash and wrenching my neck upside down.

anyway just tap the solid blue wire from the launch master to the light blue wire on the clutch switch and you're good to go...unless there's a different wiring scheme for different year models.

1BADHRSE

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 Manual... So I will check it out and let you know!!! Thank you for the help!

Back