Desperately need nitrous wiring help. Anyone with experience please help!

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I think I made a mistake buying a used Nitrous kit for my 2007 Mustang GT. The person I bought the kit from is zero help because he claims he bought the kit from someone else and never installed it on his car because he changed his mind and decided to go turbo instead.

First it's a Nitrous outlet plate kit with Induction Solutions solenoids and purge. The bottle itself is ZEX so it's kind of a Frankenstein setup. I have no clue who made the wiring harness but that is where I am having issues. According to the Nitrous outlet website the relay/wiring for their plate kit is as follows:

30 Goes to 12V source (battery)
85 Goes to Ground
86 Goes to WOT switch and then to arming switch
87 Goes to N20 & fuel solenoids with a ground coming out between them

Now when I started inspecting the wiring harness I noticed that the relay box was very hard to read so I unplugged the harness connector from the relay itself and inspected the relay prongs for identification which was much easier to read. But here is what I discovered:

30 is connected to a black wire that turns into red and black wires which connects to the solenoids. There is a red and black wire on a small c-connector between the solenoids which I assume is for ground but has a very short reach (the solenoids are connected directly to to the plate).

85 is connected to a blue wire that is connected to a small c-clamp at the end which I assume is for the ground.

86 is connected to a red wire that turns into a brown wire and ends at a micro wot switch

87 is connected to a green wire which turns into a large red wire with a larger c-connector at the end which I assumed was for the 12 volt battery (positive)

So according to the Nitrous outlet diagram the 85 and 86 are correct but the 30 and 87 are wrong. It would be easy enough to use needle nose pliers to reverse the two so they match the Nitrous Outlet diagram. But that leads me to a few questions:

1). Is there any scenario where the cabling could be correct the way I received it? I am going off Nitrous outlets diagram but I don't know if it in fact is their cabling harness or relay.

2). If I someone did wire this incorrectly to the relay then would that have possible caused damage to the solenoids, relay or wires themselves when they tried to use the kit?

3). The diagram on the arming switch says one connection is for keyd 12V source. Do I cable this through the firewall and directly to the + terminal on the battery? Or is there somewhere behind the dash people tap into?

Last edited:

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
i-want-to-use-the-relay-to-turn-on-or-off-with-the-car-how-do-i-hook-that-up-connect-lead-or-pin-86-to-the-cars-ign-or-acc-circuit-12-volt-relay-wiring-diagram.bmp

30 goes to the battery that feeds it with power
87 will go to the object you are wanting to turn on
86 is the source of power that activates the relay and turns on the object
85 is where the relay grounds out to

Above is proper method

1.Technically, 30 and 87 could probably be swapped and would still function, just not sure if its proper or if it could have negative effects.
2.not sure, someone else can chime in on this
3.You could wire number 30 directly to the battery, or an always on switch since the relay will be open and not draw power whenever the relay is opened. Or wire into a wire thats only active when car runs, just depends on location/amp draw.

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I think I'm going to rewire it so it's correct (30 to power source) and then hope and pray when the kit is tested for the first time.

JonT

forum member
Reaction score
I used a relay for my nitrous kit so I can use a RPM Window switch. I forget the exact wiring but if you're using a WOT switch, test it before you connect it to the relay. That way you know it's the correct wire and working properly and that the relay is working properly. The first relay I used was messed up some how, so I had to return it and get a new one. It will help you when it comes time to wiring the relay.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back