Magnum XL wiring with Bowler harness

DBcooper

Reaction score
I’m finally getting around to putting a magnum XL in my 2005 GT. The Bowler harness has 6 wires to hook up. Red goes to 12 v switched power and black goes to engine ground. These are for the reverse lockout solenoid. There are 2 red and brown wires which splice into the 2 wires going into the reverse light plug on the factory harness. The instructions say there is no right or wrong way to hook these in.

The last 2 wires are for the vehicle speed sensor. 1 is used for 40 pulses per revolution and the other is used for 16 pulses per revolution. Does anybody know which one I should use?

Also. There are 2 wires from the factory harness going into the plug in for the vehicle speed sensor. One is blue and yellow and the other is white and red. Does anybody know which one I need to tap into? Or do I use both? I’m fairly confused.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Magnum has 12 holes per rotation, so you need to use 16.
MT 82 has 34, so 40 is for that.
You will need to correct the speedo based on that.
I ended up with 12.63 holes set in my tune to get my speedo accurate.

DBcooper

Reaction score
Magnum has 12 holes per rotation, so you need to use 16.
MT 82 has 34, so 40 is for that.
You will need to correct the speedo based on that.
I ended up with 12.63 holes set in my tune to get my speedo accurate.

Thank you. Do I take the 16 pulses per revolution output from the bowler harness and solder that to both of the wires on the factory harness going into the plug for the vehicle speed sensor?

DBcooper

Reaction score
Or can I just plug the vehicle speed sensor from the factory wire harness into the magnum xl?

Shokwave2010

Reaction score
I’m finally getting around to putting a magnum XL in my 2005 GT. The Bowler harness has 6 wires to hook up. Red goes to 12 v switched power and black goes to engine ground. These are for the reverse lockout solenoid. There are 2 red and brown wires which splice into the 2 wires going into the reverse light plug on the factory harness. The instructions say there is no right or wrong way to hook these in.

The last 2 wires are for the vehicle speed sensor. 1 is used for 40 pulses per revolution and the other is used for 16 pulses per revolution. Does anybody know which one I should use?

Also. There are 2 wires from the factory harness going into the plug in for the vehicle speed sensor. One is blue and yellow and the other is white and red. Does anybody know which one I need to tap into? Or do I use both? I’m fairly confused.

Shokwave2010

Reaction score
Hello I have the same car 2005 Mustang GT with a Roush supercharger just installed the Magnum XL 6 speed transmission works really well did the backup wiring sensor as well biggest problem I have since I installed the new transmission is I have a terrible exhaust drone in 6th Gear now what are you running for exhaust I have long tube headers high flow cat x-pipe and MRT over the axle exhaust which I'm thinking of changing the mufflers on the back end from the cats back

DBcooper

Reaction score
I wanted to update this thread in case anybody in the future runs into the same problem I had.

I technically could have extended the wires on the factory harness for the vehicle speed sensor (the factory harness isn't long enough to reach the plug on the magnum XL). Plugging the factory VSS into the magnum XL would have gotten the speedometer fairly close (it was already about 5 mph off before the swap). However, hooking the factory VSS into the Bowler harness allows you to fine tune the speedometer via the mobile app.

There are 2 wires going into the factory vehicle speed sensor - 1 is dark blue and yellow and the other is gray and red. The gray and red wire is not needed - just clip it and tie it off. The dark blue and yellow wire needs to be tied into the purple and yellow wire from the Bowler harness (16 pulses per revolution).

Clip the backup light plug on the factory harness and connect the 2 wires from that into the red and brown wires from the Bowler harness. It doesn't matter which wire goes where - either way will get the job done.

Run the black wire from the Bowler harness to the ground on the motor mount, and run the red wire to the SJB in the cab to a fuse that is only hot when the switch is on. This will get your reverse lockout solenoid hooked up.

DBcooper

Reaction score
Hello I have the same car 2005 Mustang GT with a Roush supercharger just installed the Magnum XL 6 speed transmission works really well did the backup wiring sensor as well biggest problem I have since I installed the new transmission is I have a terrible exhaust drone in 6th Gear now what are you running for exhaust I have long tube headers high flow cat x-pipe and MRT over the axle exhaust which I'm thinking of changing the mufflers on the back end from the cats back

I currently have 1 3/4" kooks long tube headers and kooks off-road H pipe with Borla Touring mufflers. I also have Quicktime Performance cutouts on the H pipe. I have a little bit of drone at certain highway speeds, but it hasn't gotten any worse with the new transmission.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back