Lean Bank 1 Code solution

GlassTop09

Reaction score
1 more item to add:

Look at your 2E line on FF data....PCM is not commanding EVAP CPV to open due to fuel tank level being above 85% full (EVAP monitoring is disabled until the fuel tank level gets < 85%) but look at line 32....EVAP system pressure is showing -0.310" H20. This is close but really should not be showing a negative number....should be 0.000" or a positive number so you also may have a potentially leaking EVAP CPV (or VMV if 05-06 MY) on your car's EVAP system (which is another source of a vacuum leak). It is a used car (2007 MY.....13yrs old) & most don't pay this any attention due to the only thing drawing any attention to this is the MIL...……..

Just another example of the power of using that scan tool to find stuff breaking before it can potentially leave you stranded so you can fix stuff proactively instead of reactively reducing the cost of ownership...……...

FYI...……………...

PS--Just looked at the OBDII DTC code listings & the P0171, P0172, P0174 & P0175 DTC's on Ford's 2007 MY OBDII System Summary Sheet all correspond to PCM detected fuel delivery issues....not necessarily vacuum leaks so the P0171 B1 System Too Lean DTC is the PCM detecting a low fuel delivery problem on B1 (FF data showed the problem was also occurring on B2 as well...…common fuel delivery to both banks thru a single fuel line usually found when engine is under a load which the PCM does check for proper fuel delivery to calculated air mass in this scenario...the high +LTFT% numbers relative to the calculated air mass flow indicates a low fuel delivery condition exists). Now a vacuum leak can be involved w\ this DTC (actually pointed 1 out from the FF data) so you do have to account for them.

Just thought I'd post this for anyone interested...……...

Last edited:

Jack14

Reaction score
GlassTop09,
Thank you so much I actually made a note to have the dealer change out the fuel filter. I am embarrassed to say that I am old coot and I got rid of my ramps and jack stands so all i have left at home is a floor jack and not to keen about crawling under the car to change the fuel filter with just the floor jack holding it up. Car is so low that I can't really get under it to see what I am doing without jacking it up. I was going to change the fuel filter myself but I figured out it is under car on drivers side protected by a plate the needs to be removed. I have some experience changing fuel filters under car but it was on our son's 91 raptor so it was easy to get underneath it to see what I was doing.

As I think back after reading your comments I thought the fuel PSI was on the low side and the light came on the day I exercised the car more aggressively than I had prior to light coming on. Given it is 13 years old and only has 12,500 miles on it the car sat around a lot. On the scan car was in the garage and I was revving it up a little with no load. Makes sense to me that when I was driving the car aggressively the extra load with less than ideal fuel delivery would cause a the light to come on. Hope that is the issue. Thanks again really appreciate the education.

FYI my first Mustang (first car I owned) was a 70 Boss 302 bought it brand new off the showroom floor for $3400 with money earned working in steel factory in heat treat department made $7000 that summer between my sophomore and junior years in college only needed $2000 to get me through the year. Actually delivered Pizzas in that car while going to school. Loved the car but the sad part of the story is that when the gas crisis came along in 74 and we had gotten married I traded it in on a 74 Pinto! Big mistake but live and learn.
Regards,
Jack

GlassTop09

Reaction score
FYI my first Mustang (first car I owned) was a 70 Boss 302 bought it brand new off the showroom floor for $3400 with money earned working in steel factory in heat treat department made $7000 that summer between my sophomore and junior years in college only needed $2000 to get me through the year.

Now I'm jealous!
:biggrin:

My 1st car was a white '63 Chevy Impala SS 2-door hardtop w\ brown bucket seats, center console shift, Powerglide automatic w\ a transplanted '71 Chevy 350 350 HP V8 w\ iron 2.02 heads from a truck w\ dual exhaust (30" glass packs) that my older brother gave to me as a present when I was 15 yrs old (just got my B permit driver's license but my parents wouldn't let me drive it until I passed driver's test & got my full driver's license when I turned 16). Now this was a classic but I always wanted a '69-'70 Mach 1 w\ 428 CJ & 4-speed Toploader manual trans or a '73 Dodge 340 Duster w\ A88 4-speed manual & 8 3\4" rear axle but my folks were die hard GM fanatics so my Dad thought I was sick in the head & a heretic for wanting anything outside of a Chevy or Oldsmobile but especially a Ford...……….wouldn't help me w\ getting any car on my own if it wasn't a Chevy or a Olds! Wouldn't help me work on any car of my own.....told me if you can drive it you can fix it yourself, meant it too as he bought me my 1st full set of Proto mechanics tools for my 16th birthday then told me that his tools were off limits & stay out of them...………..but he would always be watching over my shoulder to see if I was learning right & would get them lectures about how to do stuff correct if he saw me making a mistake...………..

Ah the good old days!!!!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back