Lean Bank 1 Code solution

Jack14

Reaction score
I purchased a Roush 2007 Mustang roadster at Barrett Jackson this winter and got it through emissions testing here in Arizona, however a week ago today I got a check engine light. The code is coming back as Lean Bank 1 which I believe is the passenger side. I can't find any obvious vacuum leaks any ideas anyone has on where I should look will be appreciated. The car is a prototype and Roush has been able to help me with some information on the car but right now they haven't been able to give me a solution other than take it to a ford dealer. Car has 12,500 miles on it and drives fine no noticeable performance issues.

Appreciate any ideas or guidance.
Regards,
Jack

2007 Mustang Roadster.jpg

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Could be a number of things that throw that code. It is either actually lean on one bank or it could be the upstream O2 sensor starting to fail.
I would start with inspecting the sparkplugs and see if any one of the 8 does not look the same as the others. If you find one that is a bit darker, maybe has some deposits on it, you narrowed it down to the problem cylinder.
Looking at live data from the pcm can be useful in diagnosing a problem.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree. That car has sat around a lot more than its been driven. New plugs, new 02s (all 4), check the air filter. Drive it around. Its probably nothing.

Good looking car, I like the red / black.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Looking at live data from the pcm can be useful in diagnosing a problem.

This. Before you start replacing parts, do some datalogging as this will almost certainly pinpoint the problem. It's unusual for a failing O2 sensor to cause a lean code, but a short in the O2 sensor wiring could certainly do that.
Other possible causes are a vacuum leak, failing MAF sensor, clogged injectors, or a fuel delivery problem (clogged fuel filter, failing fuel pump). This is where datalogging will help you.
Since the car has sat around for a long time, the injectors could be gummed up so I'd just add a bottle of fuel system cleaner to the next tank of gas and see if that fixes it.

Jack14

Reaction score
thanks for all the feedback will try fuel cleaner and will see if I can get to the plugs will let you know what I find. I am new to the data logging process how do I go about that. I got the code read at the auto parts store. Car runs fine but will not pass emissions with the warning light on, I am good on emissions testing for at least a year but want to resolve the problem and learn how to diagnose issues with it myself. Car is a prototype Roush Roadster one of the first built so trying to sort out exactly what I have. Roush has been helpful but only recommending I take it to one of their certified Ford Dealerships. Prefer to at least do preliminary problem solving myself so appreciate your advice.
Regards,
Jack

Jack14

Reaction score
Another question, I am going to purchase a code scanner any recommendations on which one would be best for novice?
Regards,
Jack

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score

Jack14

Reaction score
MrAwesome,
Thanks will check it out.
Regards,
Jack

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
You can get an ELM 327 Bluetooth dongle that plugs into the OBD 2 port under the dash, and download a software such as Car Scanner to your smartphone that'll provide live data by connecting to your ELM 327. I have this combination and it works great. It'll also pick up DTCs.

Jack14

Reaction score
No luck so far with the fuel additive nor have I been able to find a vac leak. I attached a photo of my scan report going to try cleaning MAF sensor next. Any other ideas out there let me know.
Regards,
JackScan Report.jpg

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Probably isn't the MAF because that would trigger both banks since its the air inlet. Triple check those PCV valves for cracked fittings / any air leaks

Jack14

Reaction score
Thanks, the MAF location right down from the air filter doesn't have any wires going to it. I think it is just blank. Apparently Roush has it located somewhere else going to contact them again and see what they can tell me where it might be given it is supercharged. Will check as you suggested again but beginning to think I am going to have dealer smoke check it for me. Car is a prototype that was at SEMA when it was launched so not necessarily exactly like the 100 that were produced after it.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
It’s still in front of the throttle body and feeds both cylinders. The engine is still a Ford 3V it’s gotta be something on that one side.

Jack14

Reaction score
Talked to Roush and no MAF sensor between air filter and throttle body apparently built into the lower intake manifold they are going to call me back to help me locate.

Jack14

Reaction score
FYI they told me the same thing that it would show on both banks if it was MAF. going to see if I can read the mapping #s and give them to Roush to make sure map is correct.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
FYI they told me the same thing that it would show on both banks if it was MAF. going to see if I can read the mapping #s and give them to Roush to make sure map is correct.
This ^^
One bank only, cannot be maf.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Read this & this is indeed a special setup as what you're describing is a S197 that has a PCM that is set up to use Speed Density (a MAP sensor mounted on intake manifold DS of the supercharger to calculate air mass volume inside it) instead of a MAF sensor (MAF sensor mounted on MAF section just aft of the air filter & ahead of the TB to measure\calculate air mass flowing across it). So there wouldn't necessarily be a MAF sensor installed but both can co-exist on the same platform as well. FWIW, my FR Performance Intake Manifold on my 4.6L 3V has a mount for a MAP sensor molded into it...just not drilled out so running these 4.6L 3V engines using Speed Density thru a Spanish Oaks PCM is possible (have also looked at sample tune files thru HPTuners & have seen the settings\setup for Speed Density in there so it's possible).

Question, does the car start, idle, run & drive fine outside of getting the P0171 DTC? The focus should be directed as Macman45 has typed towards B1 due to the set DTC, which doesn't leave a lot of items to check for. But the 1 thing I would suggest is for you to use a scan tool that can display live data to then check the running FT's data when the PCM goes into CL to verify the P0171 DTC...both B1 STFT & B1 LTFT should be showing a much higher +% reading relative to B2 STFT & B2 LTFT. The reason why to check the live data is that you may have both B1 & B2 FT's showing high +% numbers but the PCM flagged\set B1 P0171 DTC due to it being a little higher thus closer to the threshold than B2 so the real issue may very well be across both banks.....the P0174 DTC code (B2) may still be pending instead of set.....you gotta think as the PCM "thinks" to make sense.....why it's always smart w\ these modern vehicles to check all codes (both pending & set) & live data either thru a scan tool or thru a datalog file to verify the actual issue(s) before going further to prevent unnecessary actions which will cause unneeded costs & frustrations when diagnosing these modern vehicles. Also is a good idea to check the Mode 6 data (the PCM self-check component test results data...especially the misfire monitor data) to see if the PCM is showing any cylinder "misfiring" on any\all B1 cylinders relative to B2 cylinders (if B1 cylinders are truly running lean the CKP sensor velocity pulses will be weaker & can show up as cylinder misfires relative to the B2 cylinders....another clue to help chase down the cause....if the MM is still enabled in the tune that is.... a cylinder doesn't have to be actually misfiring for the PCM to think it is a misfire due to the PCM using the CKP sensor signal to read CKP rotational velocity increases from a cylinder during it's power stroke to determine if a cylinder is firing\misfiring...incomplete combustion from an overly lean mixture can cause the same CKP signal effect as a real misfire....so you can pull coils\spark plugs & find nothing wrong w\ them).

Now you may have done all this already.....but we can't tell thru the info that is posted...………… Also what I've posted the ROUSH folks should have asked for any evidence of pending DTC's before saying what they said.....can be misleading...……

Just saying...……..

If SD & a vacuum leak is manifold related the engine idle speed usually increases due to the O2 sensors picking up the extra, unburnt O2 in exhaust that the MAP sensor can't pick up\measure due to no measurable change in intake manifold pressure post SC rotors (SC bypass valve is open during idle so no boost\positive pressure, only vacuum) thus why the original question I asked as to how the car is running, especially at idle....unless the actual leak is located on 1 (or more) of the individual intake runners at the intake\head mounting on B1. This is where I would recommend to get the intake system smoke tested for vacuum leaks as you said the key word...obvious.... Since this engine is SC'd there are more areas for a vacuum leak to appear than you may realize & this issue is most likely occurring only during idle. Also need to look at the O2 sensor's voltage output to see if they're operating properly.

Would be even better to datalog\use scan tool to look at data thru a full cold start thru to full hot idle (to view data transition from OL to CL to cover all the bases as if any vacuum leaks are present they're more easily found while the engine is cold vs when it is hot (thus the recommendation to perform smoke test on cold engine to verify\rule out vacuum leaks) & the FT data can help flag this during the transition from OL to CL when the O2 sensors start reporting to the PCM so the PCM starts controlling the fueling according to AFR setting instead of using OL fuel settings from the OL base cold fuel map. If the O2 sensors spike high +% STFT numbers right off the bat (they should go -% STFT numbers due to OL cold start fuel enrichment being applied) you have extra air in the system than what is calculated...a vacuum leak(s), short fuel delivery or MAP related issue....another way to verify a potential vacuum leak w\o having to do anything extra except read a scan tool\datalog…….

Sorry for the long posting but since you did say that you wanted to verify these issues yourself before you take it anywhere then you really need to get a good scan tool that can allow reading of the live data stream AND access to the PCM stored Mode 6 test results data. Any shop worth their salt is gonna do exactly what I've posted....for a shop rate of at least min 1hr labor time @ $85.00\hr-$120.00\hr but a good, decent scan tool will cost you less...some much less.

Hope this helps.

Jack14

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I am not a good enough mechanic to comprehend all the information you provided. The car is idling smoothly at 700 rpm and seems to run find although I have limited the drive time since the light came on.

I did by a blue driver and I have looked at live data and as well as mode 6 data. I have only one confirmed scan error which was the lean condition on bank 1. As fate would have it as I was doing a follow up scan (after becoming more familiar with the blue driver) the light went out. The confirmed error is still showing in my scan but perhaps it is the original one since I have chosen not to delete any until I understand more what needs to fixed.

I have attached reports from the live data scans but given my ignorance on the issues not sure I selected the correct items. Really appreciate all the help and I am learning as I go which would not be possible without help from everyone on here.

FYI the blue driver has a report that tells me when previous MIL or CEL codes have been deleted and it was done 296 miles ago I have put only about 187 miles on car so my conclusion is the previous owner deleted the prior to sending the car to Barrett Jackson. Knowing what I know now I would have scanned the car prior to buying it and I would have known. Expensive education.

some reason I am not able to upload excel files i made of live data. Will work on it.
Regards,
Jack

Attachments

• FreezeFrame-Feb_27_2020_12-33-49-PM.pdf
    98.6 KB · Views: 2

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Here is a thought: this came with a blower and probably some Roush tune, it is possible it was reflashed by a dealer or elsewhere, and maybe an incorrect tune was installed. Maybe see about doing a Datalog with Lito, its possible nothing is wrong but a wrong tune with a bad AFR, tossing the code. Lito can find out right away.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
No problem, Jack. We all start out the same way...……..
Thanks for posting the FF data as this is a listing of the conditions that the engine was under when the PCM set the P0171 DTC...….
If you look at both the B1 & B2 LTFT's you'll see that both banks were being affected (PCM is adding extra fuel due to O2 sensors reading unburnt O2 in exhaust to try to drive the STFT's back to switching around 0%) but since B1 LTFT is showing 13.3% vs B2 LTFT showing 10.9% the B1 result crossed the threshold to set the P0171 DTC before B2.
The engine was warm & under a light load ( 151*F, 39.6% calculated load% or torque w\ 19.2% throttle angle so still in CL\CT operation but RPM's are low @ 2731 w\ VSS @ 45 MPH) so looks like the car was being accelerated when this P0171 DTC occurred (spark timing advanced @ 38.5*).

What all this tells me is that your issue is most likely a fuel delivery issue when engine is put under a load (both B1 & B2 LTFT's % are too high +....should be much closer to 0% or slightly -% while PCM is in CL\CT operation) so the 1st thing I'd do is to change out the fuel filter (cheap, quick & needs to be verified good before going further) as the fuel rail pressure was 38.9 psi (should be closer to 39-40 psi) & you've just recently purchased this car so I assume that you wouldn't have any maintenance records on her.

This is just an example of what you can decipher what is happening from looking at the data thru a scan tool.....…………. The rest comes thru learning the PCM, how it operates & controls the engine systems & how all interacts.

The reason for the MIL light going out is most likely due to you not repeating the conditions that caused the MIL (this MIL is not a hard fault DTC) so after the PCM has seen the conditions cleared up for the next 4-6 drive cycles since setting the MIL it determined the issue resolved & turned the MIL off itself...…..don't take this to be a fix as it isn't so you should start by changing the fuel filter out then do a KAM reset to clear out the old learned data & then perform a full drive cycle, including a KAM 60\40 crank relearn to "refresh" the PCM w\ current learned data then recheck the live data to see where all is after KAM reset then go from there. To do a KAM reset w\o a scan tool just remove the - batt cable & leave it disconnected for approx 2-5 mins (or longer if you prefer) then hook it back up. This will erase the KAM (keep alive memory) of all learned data so now you can relearn the PCM to your driving habits in addition to PCM performing all component testing again to see if all will pass OBDII IM Readiness. I would do this & verify the fuel system to be sound before looking into the tune itself cause it could simply be a restricted fuel filter causing fuel starvation under engine load.....you'd need to verify this anyway prior getting retuned.....or at least you should......

Here is a copy of the Ford approved OBDII drive cycle to do all this. You have the right tool in hand to get good diagnostic data so don't be afraid to learn. Use it & use it often...……………..

Hope this helps you out.

Attachments

• drivecycleford.pdf
    24.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back