Let's talk helmets...

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
(Before anyone says it, I searched, didn't find suitable answers to my questions, also everyone that roadraces/autocrosses knows that we are required helmets so I am pretty sure I have the right section)

Anyway......

Everyone's favorite subject, safety gear, buying that really expensive gear that could save your life one day.

What set-up (helmet, gloves, boots, suit, nomex, etc.) are you guys running?

I am starting to get some of my stuff together for the upcoming season and am looking for some feedback.

I found a deal on a site that is selling an HJC Motorsports AR10-II for $299.99 and as an incentive are giving a free set of Puma Pro-Fit gloves with the helmet. I checked into both, the helmet is $299.99 alone, the gloves are $119.99 by themselves. The helmet I was originally looking at was the Bell Sport but now I see this deal and it sounds great but as they say "if it sounds too good to be true..." I looked around and couldn't find a lot of people using an HJC Motorsports helmet but the general consensus is that the HJC is a quality piece, I read the review on racinghelmetguide.com and it was very favorable.

So the sum of my questions is, should I pull the trigger to get a new helmet and a free pair of gloves? I need a new helmet as my SA2000 helmet is no longer good and I can't borrow my friends anymore.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
This is the one I got, 80 bucks...
51+KL0u+wEL._SL250_.jpg

http://powersport-superstore-inc.amazonwebstore.com/HJC-CL16-HELLION-MC5-XXL/M/B002RPJON0.htm

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
Frank, how do you like the quality of the HJC? I have honestly just never heard of the company, I know they are made in Korea but that is about it. Its a good looking helmet and the AR10-II was compared to the great Bieffe Predator, not a bad thing to be compared to.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I haven't found any issues with it, comfty inside, rated fine for the next 5 years I believe, and good price, can't find anything wrong with it, doesn't hurt my head or anything lol

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a HJC as well, nice helmet for the price, found mine on ebay For $65 shipped. Its dot and snell approved.

p_87111.jpg

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score
Bell Apex. Got it for $70 on ebay.

Anyone know of any decently priced helmets that have HANS mounts on it.

Arai helmets w/ HANS are $5000!

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
Like most things in this hobby, your intended end-use is important.

The helmet that fdjizm linked to would not pass tech at most of the events I attend. It's rated as a Snell-M2010 helmet. The year is fine, but that's an M-rated helmet; it's a motorcycle helmet, not an automotive helmet. Automotive helmets carry a Snell-SA rating (which can pass a fire-retardant test), and they're almost always higher priced (though some are in the sub-$200 range). Anyway, check the local clubs and sanctioning bodies you hope to run with before purchasing a helmet.

If you like, there's a nice write up on automotive helmets here.

BTW, I drilled my own helmet for my DefNder. If you're uncomfortable doing the job yourself (it's not rocket science), you can often get a speed shop to do it for you for free (if you purchase the helmet with them) or a nominal cost. All you need to do is buy the posts for your particular head-and-neck restraint; you don't need to buy the pre-assembled helmets.

Best,
-j

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
I have a HJC as well, nice helmet for the price, found mine on ebay For $65 shipped. Its dot and snell approved.

Snell approved to what spec? For what we do, or at least open-tracking, an SA rating (2005 is still legal, but the 2010s are out) is mandatory. If it doesn't have a Snell SA2005 or SA2010 sticker affixed to the inside of the shell, under the lining, it just ain't legal, and you're NOT going out on track... At least for the four organizations I run with, anyway.

As to Zexford's original post, from the head down:

Pyrotect SA2005 helmet (5% tint visor)
Sparco Ice Balaclava (single hole)
DefNder head-and-neck restraint (the original baby-puke green one!)
OMP "FIRST" FIA 8856-2000 driving suit
Sparco Tide gloves
Sparco Ice nomex socks
Sabelt high-top shoes

Coupled with:
Simpson 5-point latch/link harness
Ultra-Shield road-race seat
Autopower rollbar (with custom floor reinforcement plates: THANKS PHILOSTANG!)

All that, together, creates a very survivable package, that got me through an offset-frontal wreck bad enough to bend S197 frame rails at both ends of the car.

Invest in the safety gear, and remember: "If you have a $5.00 brain, buy a $5.00 helmet..." As far as helmets go, your best bet is to go to a proper race shop that is a stocking dealer for a variety of brands, and try them on until you find the one that has the proper fit, and the minimum impact on vision. Not all here are created equal! A short, narrow eye-port that chops your side peripheral vision is as dangerous as a helmet that's too loose. If you're constantly turning your head to see things, inside the car and out, then it's a good chance you'll miss a mildly important peripheral cue, like the corner worker frantically digging out the yellow flag as you whiz by the stand at 120mph fat, dumb, and happy, not realizing that there is a wreck just around the next corner, with debris scattered EVERYWHERE. I've been in exactly that situation, and seeing the sudden burst of motion in the flag stand let me check up well before adding to the carnage. Also, make sure that the helmet fits your own personal head to a tee. A helmet that's too tight will not only give you a headache wearing it, but will NOT distribute the force across your entire skull in the event of Bad Things happening. One that is too loose is just as dangerous, and under high G loads, can float around, altering your vision area unpredictably. I had to order a different size of cheek pad for mine to really get it to fit right, but fit right it does.

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
15.17.3 Helmet
All drivers are required to wear an approved a properly fitted and secured helmet while
on track. Helmets must be approved by Snell and carry a sticker of Snell 2000 (
SA2000) or better newer*. Ratings other than that of “SA” (Special Application), i.e.
“M1995, M2000”, are not acceptable. *Alternatively, helmets with an FIA certification of
8860-2004 or newer, or an SFI label showing the rating of 31.1A, 31.2A, or 31.1/2005 or
newer are acceptable. It is strongly recommended that any helmet sustaining any
substantial impact be replaced.
Note- the minimum helmet standard starting January 1, 2012 will be: All drivers are
required to wear a properly fitted and secured helmet while on track. Helmets must be
approved by Snell and carry a sticker of Snell SA2005 or newer*. Ratings other than
that of “SA” (Special Application), i.e. “M2000, M2005, or CMR2007”, are not
acceptable. *Alternatively, helmets with an FIA certification of 8860-2004 or newer, or
an SFI label showing the rating of 31.1/2005 or newer are acceptable. It is strongly
recommended that any helmet sustaining any substantial impact be replaced.

Those are NASAs rules, IIRC SCCA is not much different. SA2000 helmets are out, now you need a SA2005 or SA2010. M rated helmets are and always have been out and not legal to wear on the track. My old helmet was a SA2000, rather than getting a SA2005, I am going to skip right to SA2010 just so it stays legal longer. I plan to get a HANs down the road, but I have no quams about drilling and mounting the pads myself.

Last edited:

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score
I did what SGD suggested and went to a race shop that sold a variety of helmets and tried several on.

The low priced one did exactly what SGD said - the eye slot was so small it restricted my vision. I ended up with a Bell Racer Series BR-1

http://bellracing.com/helmets/racer-series/br-1

Not cheap but I figure that if I ever need it then it was worth the money.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Yea mine says m2005-snell on the inside, always passed tech at e-town and atco.
really no need to get anything else personally.

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
Yea mine says m2005-snell on the inside, always passed tech at e-town and atco.
really no need to get anything else personally.

Atco and E-Town see a helmet and just ok it but for road racing you need a specific helmet to race.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
ive been getting away with my m2005 helmet for a while, but i would like to get a proper one eventually. im essentially using a dirtbike helmet

1099451185_6jnyV-L-1.jpg

Red06GT

forum member
Reaction score
I have Pyrotect open and closed face helmets SA2005
Simpson STD.19 SFI 3-2A/5 double layer suit
Simpson long cuff SFI 3.3/5 gloves (racing)
G-Force short cuff SFI 3.3/5 gloves (open track days)
Simpson single hole balaclava SFI 3.3/5
Simpson shoes (can't remember style)
Nomex socks (can't remember the brand)
I've been using a Pyrotect collar but will move to either a Hans or Safety Solutions neck restraint this spring. I missed out on the Hans discount in December...:dunce:

The groups I run with do not allow "M" Motorcycle helmets.

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I just pulled the trigger on the HJC helmet with the free puma gloves, if anything it saves me $120 for the gloves. Still wondering what type of suit to get.

Chim-Chim

Will drive for food
Reaction score
I've got a Pyrotect (Bell) SA2005, also. They were the best value out there a while back. Not sure how they stack up now, but I have been very happy with mine.

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
Last summer I bought a Pyrotect SA2005 Carbon Fibre full face helmet from their Ebay clearance site for half price. I have an open face SA2000 helmet that I like better, but some organizers (PCA) demand an SA2005 or newer. Both fit properly and are light and comfortable.

Cheyne

Reaction score
I use a Bell Sport - SA2010. I had to buy a new helmet this year and I have used Bell Sports in the past and like them. They are a little heavy, but I don't mind. I also use a HANS device which is now that H&N devices are mandatory in the SCCA for road racing. I got it from Pegasus Racing. It was $279. The paint job by Oktane Visual was another $350. My HANS was $995 for the Pro Quick Disconnect version. My daughter uses a HJC Si12 from Safe Racer and it was $400.

6718434723_cb242ffec2.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back