Longtubes on a paxton coyote

Fosters

forum member
Reaction score
I need to get some exhaust work done on my car - 2013 gt auto with a paxton, stock pulley, 3c converter and an offroad x pipe. I wanna get long tubes, and from the reading in here it looks like there is no difference between the 1 3/4 and 1 7/8; and that Pypes are among the few that have a stepped header design that follows the correct firing order... Which other companies do that - does BBK do it? I've tried to look at a few dozen pics on a half dozen websites to compare the tubes order and I get lost :insane:

Reason i ask about BBK is the availability of getting them ceramic coated. I live in AZ, and I have enough heat as it is, any more I can get out from under the hood makes me happy. If not, what does the coating usually cost? Also, have you guys wrapped the headers on yours? Is there enough room - considering how much trouble people are having with the steering shaft?

Last but not least, are there any gains to be had with an axle back, even on an FI car? I would like to keep the car fairly quiet, and I'm not fully convinced a set of mufflers would add much...

Feel free to benchrace dyno results afterwards, car made 570 to the wheels as it sits now. :D

Last edited:

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
I live in AZ and am FI at 650 to the wheels and run Kooks non coated long tubes and have no heat issues.

I'm a 3v though if that makes a difference

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
what does the coating usually cost?

I paid $220 for ceramic coating my LT headers at Jet Hot. They do a bunch of headers for OEM's, and they'll take care of an individual as well. I used the location 30 minutes from my house in NC, so that was a drop off / pick up price. They have other locations as well, and you can ship.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I need to get some exhaust work done on my car - 2013 gt auto with a paxton, stock pulley, 3c converter and an offroad x pipe. I wanna get long tubes, and from the reading in here it looks like there is no difference between the 1 3/4 and 1 7/8; and that Pypes are among the few that have a stepped header design that follows the correct firing order... Which other companies do that - does BBK do it? I've tried to look at a few dozen pics on a half dozen websites to compare the tubes order and I get lost :insane:

Reason i ask about BBK is the availability of getting them ceramic coated. I live in AZ, and I have enough heat as it is, any more I can get out from under the hood makes me happy. If not, what does the coating usually cost? Also, have you guys wrapped the headers on yours? Is there enough room - considering how much trouble people are having with the steering shaft?

Last but not least, are there any gains to be had with an axle back, even on an FI car? I would like to keep the car fairly quiet, and I'm not fully convinced a set of mufflers would add much...

Feel free to benchrace dyno results afterwards, car made 570 to the wheels as it sits now. :D

Aside from the starter, and cabin heat, there's really not much to worry about with the heat imo. On another note I've put headers on 3 different Mustangs with good results on fitment, and performance. I'm currently looking hard at JBA's headers because of the price, and the quality seems good too.

I'm sure Kooks, AR, SW etc. are really nice, but I think the world needs to quit feeding companies that charge that much for a simple set of headers. And for the heat, I usually just wrap the header tubes near the starter and or anything that may be heat sensitive, and it's worked fine for me on several vehicles so far.

Fosters

forum member
Reaction score
I live in AZ and am FI at 650 to the wheels and run Kooks non coated long tubes and have no heat issues.

I'm a 3v though if that makes a difference

Cool, good to know.

I paid $220 for ceramic coating my LT headers at Jet Hot. They do a bunch of headers for OEM's, and they'll take care of an individual as well. I used the location 30 minutes from my house in NC, so that was a drop off / pick up price. They have other locations as well, and you can ship.

Right on, thanks!

Anyone know which of the cheaper brands besides pypes have the headers stepped according to the firing order? And any gains from the axle backs?

CMK720

forum member
Reaction score
I have pypes LT's on my paxton car and have had zero issues.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I don't know if there's anything out there, but I bet if there was a "fair" header shootout for these stangs, companies like Kooks, AR, SW wouldn't be too happy competing with companies like BBK, or Pypes, when there isn't 2hp difference.

Fosters

forum member
Reaction score
Bringing this back up from the dead a bit, I'm gonna be buying the headers soon and had another question. The pypes X pipe, looks like it's a 3 piece design for the normal one (with factory manifolds), does that design work, if you take out the forward pipes, with their long tubes? or is it a whole different pipe altogether?

I have a gibson offroad x, which is a one piece design, but my boss has a Pypes and he's not happy with how it fit - we had to account for about an inch of gap on the driver side to make it work and even now it's leaking a bit... he'd be much happier with my pipe, and I'd be happy if I had to spend 300 bucks less for a midpipe (why on earth is a short x pipe 300 bucks in the first place??)

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of ARH headers. Only type I'll run.

Affordable powder coating in Phoenix did my ceramic coating. Turned out great. Zero issues with it.

DesertStang06

forum member
Reaction score
I'd say the big player names are all good bets.
But FWIW either buy em ceramic, or immediately get em coated.

I went regular stainless, and have been having toasty toes since.

Underwood temps went up as well.
But they still look amazing.
But SS radiates heat.
At least mine did.
A 3v if it really makes a difference

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I installed JBA titanium ceramic coated LT's and mating JBA catted H. Under hood temps dropped 40 deg F. Part of that is from the coated LT's...and part of it is from not having OEM cats at the bottom of the eng bay. The new high flow cats sit below the seats. Oem cats would hit 1850 deg F @ 6 krpm with blower on.

I can push my fingers down hard on any of the 8 primary's.... within 2 mins of shutting the eng off.

Last edited:

usafimj

Reaction score
I put Stainless Power LTs with catted x pipe and they fit great. Removed the starter, engine mount brackets,

travelers

Reaction score
I had my ARHs ceramic coated at Swain which is a heavy ceramic coating. Not cheep but really works.

Back