"Low Oil Pressure" on startup

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
What did your low oil pressure on startup turn out to be?
I did everything suggested from the 3/20/2013 post, and even have a new engine in there, but it still does it. I really do not think it's just the gauge, as the engine sounds "dry" for a few seconds, and the smooths out right as the oil pressure starts coming up. It's unnerving, for sure, but I literally haven't touched the car other than to move it around the garage from time to time. I am still having the issue where one side of the engine cuts out after running for a few minutes. My plan is (once it starts getting warmer), to pull the engine and put the original split piece cam lockouts back in. Unfortunately, with the turbos the way they are, I simply can't do it from inside the engine. The whole damned thing needs to come out.

If that makes it run normal, I'll start working on the oil problem.

(damn... just realized it's been 5 years. can you tell I've been very disgusted and too busy with work and life to mess with it??)

sman247

forum member
Reaction score
those sensors go bad fairly often. I had that warning come on, turned the wiring to the connector had melted away

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
those sensors go bad fairly often. I had that warning come on, turned the wiring to the connector had melted away
Mine is definitely old an a POS... but how could affect the sound of the engine? It smooths out as soon as the gauge starts registering pressure.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Can you remove all of that oil bypass/filter/etcetc stuff and see how it runs with a ford filter spun on to the factory location?

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I haven't bothered, just due to the way it sounds before the pressure comes up.
You replaced the engine but can’t be bothered to check oil pressure mechanically?
The noise could be from your tune and some adder settling out.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
You replaced the engine but can’t be bothered to check oil pressure mechanically?
The noise could be from your tune and some adder settling out.
At exactly the same second the oil pressure gauge starts reading? I doubt it.

I don't have an external gauge, but it would be a good thing to have anyway. Any recommendations?

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
At exactly the same second the oil pressure gauge starts reading? I doubt it.

I don't have an external gauge, but it would be a good thing to have anyway. Any recommendations?
Literally any gauge, it is ridiculous this thread is 4 pages deep and how ever many parts changed and this hasn't been done.
It doesn't even need to be permanently installed.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
Couldn't the noise come from out valve train, the lifters, since they are hydraulic and operate off of oil pressure?

I know when the oil pressure in my car was low at idle the car was noisy...and the noise came from the valve train.

The two things I know function off of oil pressure in our engine is the lifters phasers. Your phasers may be locked out so it sends the nice would be lifters.

Could be piston slap, but normally that continues until heat is built up in the engine.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back