Oil pump failure

JC SSP

Reaction score
Ryan when you can… please post itemized list of what parts you used. We should make this a sticky for future reference. Thx in advance.

short circuit

Reaction score

At 9:35. Explains that it doesn’t have excessive bleed off. Plastic OEM tensioner with fel-pro gasket seems to be the ticket. How does iron tensioner does not bleed off without any gaskets….

lwarrior1016

Reaction score

At 9:35. Explains that it doesn’t have excessive bleed off. Plastic OEM tensioner with fel-pro gasket seems to be the ticket. How does iron tensioner does not bleed off without any gaskets….
Machined surfaces. It’s a controlled leak just like a transmission valve body that doesn’t use gaskets.

In that video, the guy says the gasket on the plastic tensioner is only there for quiet start up.

ryanmc92000

Reaction score
Well, that guy may not be the brightest crown in the box because when those seals blow out, you lose a lot of oil pressure

moooosestang

Reaction score

he basically said if the oem tensioner has a torn gasket it won't cause a problem except noise on a cold start or did i misunderstand that?

SVT Rider

Reaction score
he basically said if the oem tensioner has a torn gasket it won't cause a problem except noise on a cold start or did i misunderstand that?
That's how I heard it. I don't quite agree with that assessment, but he's entitled to his opinion. I wish he would have backed it with the facts that brought him to that opinion.

ryanmc92000

Reaction score
I think it all depends, mine wasnt just a tear, it was blown out. Also he is definitely wrong cause its oil pressure behind that tensioner. If more oil is pushed thru than supposed too, you lose oil pressure. Then hiw bad seal break is, and if its 1 tensioner or both. It can greatly affect pressure

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I think it all depends, mine wasnt just a tear, it was blown out. Also he is definitely wrong cause its oil pressure behind that tensioner. If more oil is pushed thru than supposed too, you lose oil pressure. Then hiw bad seal break is, and if its 1 tensioner or both. It can greatly affect pressure
You should consider the condition of the rest of the engine before declaring him wrong. If your loosing oil pressure through the cam bearings and phasers and a little more than normal through the rod and main bearings, all due to high milage; loosing the seals on the tensioners would probably show up more than on a tight engine. Case in point. When I blew the seals out of my stock tensioners I still had 15 psi on my gauge at 800 rpm idle, hot with 5-30 Mobile 1. I did not know the seals were blown until I found then when changing cams.

ryanmc92000

Reaction score
Ill declare him wrong because he said it wouldnt, but it clearly does. Also any bearing ware would have metallic oil. Clear hint. Phasers would be very noisey. So he is wrong about his statement,

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I think this discussion has reinforced the need to install an aftermarket electrical oil pressure gauge in our cars. The OEM idiot gauge just doesn't give you any early warning of a problem with the oiling system.
Anything below ~25psi hot idle is insufficient to maintain proper VCT function and should raise a red flag. There could be any one or more possible causes, and a proper oil pressure gauge can help to narrow them down.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I think this discussion has reinforced the need to install an aftermarket electrical oil pressure gauge in our cars. The OEM idiot gauge just doesn't give you any early warning of a problem with the oiling system.
Anything below ~25psi hot idle is insufficient to maintain proper VCT function and should raise a red flag. There could be any one or more possible causes, and a proper oil pressure gauge can help to narrow them down.
Dino, what is typ oil pressure, with eng at normal temp...and say ur right foot into it, and 3000-6000 rpm ?

DieHarder

Reaction score
Dino, what is typ oil pressure, with eng at normal temp...and say ur right foot into it, and 3000-6000 rpm ?
I have aftermarket oil pressure/temp gauges and typically running 65 - 70 lbs at anything above idle when warm. Warm idle is about ~30 lbs. I don't see any change on the high end when I put my foot in it.

moooosestang

Reaction score
You should consider the condition of the rest of the engine before declaring him wrong. If your loosing oil pressure through the cam bearings and phasers and a little more than normal through the rod and main bearings, all due to high milage; loosing the seals on the tensioners would probably show up more than on a tight engine. Case in point. When I blew the seals out of my stock tensioners I still had 15 psi on my gauge at 800 rpm idle, hot with 5-30 Mobile 1. I did not know the seals were blown until I found then when changing cams.
That's less than half what i see at idle on a 60k mile motor, 50k all supercharged mileage. It's never been less than 30psi at a hot idle. If i lose half my pressure from blown tensioners that seems significant. What was your pressure at full throttle?

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Obviously, the point I was trying to make was lost. ryamc92000 stated he had zero oil pressure at idle. I believe there is more wrong with his engine than just the blown tensioner seals. When I blew mine I still had about 15 psi at hot idle. Cold start oil pressure on my car was and is at 100 psi. Normal, warm idle is about 35 and somewhere around 80 psi on the hiway. Shown here, my oil gauge is on the left.

6F44494D-64AB-4469-B1C6-D43CE1D21D97.jpeg

ryanmc92000

Reaction score
Well, car all back together and it runs great. I went with the melling pump with billet gears and bigger pickup, ford racing timing kit with felpro tensioner seals and oem phasers, new oem cams and updated style rockers and lash adjusters. Replaced vvt solenoids, pressure switch, and topped it off with steeda crank pulley and underdrive kit.

IMG_5094.jpeg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back