Maxium Motorsports Cage Install - S197

Rygen

I can break any motor!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I finally finished installing this cage and thought I would share the write up I did, I took my sweet ass time doing it...but have a few tips....

I finally started installing the cage this weekend. I did do a few weeks of prep for this though. Here is the info on the cage:

Packaging

It came well packaged, and I had it shipped to Excessive Motorsports. Not bad for $707 shipped for a NHRA legal cage.

cage3.jpg

Prep & Paint

1. 2 coats primer
  2. 2 thin coat - satin black low sheen metal paint
  3. Wet sand - 800 grit sand paper
  4. 1 thin coat - satin black low sheen metal paint
  5. Wet sand - 800 grit sandpaper
  6. 1 thin coat - satin black low sheen metal paint

I allowed 36 hours between coats. Last coat had 3 days before I touched it. Its got some dirt from my hands on it.

*TIP1: When you paint it, mask off the cylinders for the front and rear bars. As you can see, I did it for the front, but not the rear. It was damn near impossible to get them off the rear after I got them on. I had to pull them off, and hit it with 3 different grit sand paper, then ultra fine steel wool on them along on the inside of the rear bars in order to allow them to slide easily over them.

cage1.jpg

cage10.jpg

Day1

Install

First step was removing all the interior. Note you do not have to take out the center console, I did because Mike@Powerhouse put a cool light that is lit when I'm running my race tune for the 4r70. However, I wanted to change the LED out for it so that is why its out now.

After removing the interior, you have to remove the stock ford support brackets. Ford one is on the left, MMS one is on the right.

cage6.jpg

cage7.jpg

You have to use washers if the clearance on the front of these is more than 1/8. I used them on mine just in case, it was pretty close.

*TIP2: Get a good chisel for this project. My car had an ass load of sound deadening material that I had to chisel away for these and for the rear bars. I used a 1 1/4 chisel and it make quick work of it.

*TIP3: Use a socket extension on these as the seat belt units always get in the way. Just made it easier.

Second step is to test fit the cage in, so you can trace around the rear two mounting plates with a sharpie. You need to trace around it so you know where to chisel the sound deadening material off. I did this and tried to leave the cage in the car, mistake. I scuffed it up pretty good and couldn't get a good position to do the chiseling. So took it out again.

Once that was done, its time to put the cage in the car, and bolt down the cage to the support brackets. I haven't bolted it down yet, but here are some more pics of it inside the car:

cage9.jpg

cage11.jpg

cage12.jpg

cage13.jpg

cage14.jpg

That is all for today, will continue again tomorrow. That will include center punching for the rear and front points and bolting it down. The rears bolt to the wheel hub, so be prepared to have the car on jack stands and remove the rear wheels.

Day 2

[Sorry for the cheap camera phone pics - will get better pics later]

Couldn't spend the whole day on this as I have family coming over for a cook out. Also taking my time. So had to to put the whole cage in, mark holes for drilling and then take it out.

First step was torquing down the support braces. The instructions say "if the holes don't line up, you may have to widen them". Well that was the case with mine. The bottom bolt, closest to the center of the car was the issue. Pissed me off and I didn't want to drill into that thick support brace.

So I started by finding an optimal bolting order, these two worked best for me...

cage15.jpg

Once I got these in, I did the other top bolt. Then after I got them in, I put a towel down and with a rubber mallet, hammered the corner down so that last bolt would clear the bolt hole.

cage16.jpg

Once I did this to both sides, I was able to get this bolt in...

cage17.jpg

Next step was to bolt the rear points in, and the front points. This was for a test fit so you can do the center punch. So here it is again in the car..

cage19.jpg

cage20.jpg

Used the center punch for the holes, and a sharpie on the front to mark it off as you have to do some chiseling again on the sound dead material. You do have to use a sharpie on the corner hole under the bar, as you can't fit the center punch under it. It's also noted in the instructions.

cage18.jpg

Next up was to drill the holes for the rear wheel hub for the rear two points. You have to take the entire cage out again for this part. But according to the directions, this is the last time you do the in/out maneuver.

I ran into a snag cause I don't have a 7/16th bit. So I did the holes with a 5/16th bit for now, so I can continue to the next step. I will hit the hardware store later today or tomorrow to get the bit.

After that you need a friend to help you. You hold the mounting plate under the wheel hub, and have someone with a sharpie fill the holes so you know where to drill. Pictures summarize this...

cage21.jpg

cage22.jpg

This is where I had to stop. I have family coming over for a cook out so have to get cleaning up, get drinks, etc. You can see above picture that once you have it marked, you drill em out.

*TIP4: When you drill these out, put them under a block of wood. I know this is obvious to some, but the instructions show them drilling on what appears to be a concrete floor. When I drilled these, at 90% of drill time, it suddenly gives and slams down. Luckily I had a block of wood under mine. Otherwise you might have had a drill bit flying across the floor.

Rygen

I can break any motor!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Day 3

3rd and final day. This involved cutting rear interior, the final bolt in of the cage and putting the interior back in the car. First was

Had to finish drilling the holes into the support brackets for the rear bars. Ended up putting on gloves as the metal shards actually were digging into my hands as the drill flipped them out.
cage24.jpg

cage25.jpg

You need to place the front plate above the lines to project them as you drill down.

cage26.jpg

Even with a high speed circle saw and fine teeth, our interior still frays really bad.

cage27.jpg

MM does provide a PVC tube to use as a template for drilling the holes in the rear interior.

cage28.jpg

I ended up using a dremel tool to clean it up, and using black door trim to wrap around the cuts to clean them up (pics pending on those).

cage29.jpg

cage30.jpg

Warning: Be very careful and make sure you double check where you drill. I had two bolts out of the whole project that didn't line up perfect. My dumb ass ended up shredding the threads.

I had to re-thread the bolt holes. The bolts 3/8 but the threads are metric. So I tapped it for 3/8 and ended up using two bolts that didn't come with the kit that are 3/8th threads.

cage31.jpg

I used a hole saw 1/4 wider in diameter than what the directions said. This gave me more play when I was finalizing the install. Once the rubber trim was on it, it actually looks quite clean.

cage32.jpg

Just vacuumed up a bit as metal shavings and rubber from the chisel got everywhere.

cage33.jpg

Final Product

Some pics with my good camera. Note that the flash makes the bars not match however under normal light, the paint is a very close match and looks good in the car.

Overall I really like the cage, build quality is good, and fitment is pretty good too. The door bars fit perfect, I have 2mm of clearance with the doors so quite happy.

The instructions are also very good that come with the kit, and they give you plenty of extra washers. I will definitely have swing outs made by a professional later this season.

cagefinal1.jpg

cagefinal2.jpg

cagefinal3.jpg

cagefinal4.jpg

cagefinal5.jpg

cagefinal6.jpg

Rygen

I can break any motor!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The other thing I like about this kit is the rear bar is at an angle, this lets me put the seat all the way back and lean it back too. I'm 6'1 and I've been in cars with cages that are completely vertical and it sucks as you can't lean the seat back at all.

So kudos to MM for that design.

Last edited:

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Great write-up!!! That came out really clean..Damn thing looks like it belongs there..This will be my winter project but Im not doing it myself, lol..

Rygen

I can break any motor!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How much does it all weigh?

I weighed it in at 95lbs on my scale, but just noticed that my POS scale is off by 18-20%. So I plan to call MM and ask them directly.

Rygen

I can break any motor!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Great write-up!!! That came out really clean..Damn thing looks like it belongs there..This will be my winter project but Im not doing it myself, lol..

Thanks man. It wasn't bad, just take your time and keep track of all the bolts and where they go.

+1

Great job!!!!

Thanks man. I'm finally legal, now I can't get booted anymore like I did at FFW Norwalk back in 07.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks man. It wasn't bad, just take your time and keep track of all the bolts and where they go.

I am not the most "mechanically " inclined to put it lightly.:popcorneat:.I can sell a snowball to an eskimo, but I leave the car stuff to the only 3 mechanics/tuner that touch my car..which is why I havent had as much as a hiccup in 3 years of ownership:beer::beer:..knocking on a big peice of wood right now..

Rygen

I can break any motor!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well its your call. Either way this cage is a great value. Its not really mechanical, just nuts and bolts and keeping track of shit. Well there is having the balls to cut your interior and use a hole saw on it. That was a little scary. LOL.

Rygen

I can break any motor!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thats the next step. I have to have the rear points welded in from underneath to make them NHRA legal. Will be scheduling that one probably the week after next. I may also have the front two points welded in too for piece of mind.

Last edited:

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
Really nice install rygen! I almost bought this same kit for my car a few months ago also. Defintely gonna try it myself when the time comes. Thanks for taking your time on the pics and tips.

graygt07

forum member
Reaction score
looks good...i did mine over the winter. I wish the bars with there kit was removable. My car is my dd so on the front brackets under the car i welded nuts to them and now i just install the bolts from the top when i am going to the track (15 minutes) and then take them out when i get back.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Very nice write up man. Thank you.

I weighed it in at 95lbs on my scale, but just noticed that my POS scale is off by 18-20%. So I plan to call MM and ask them directly.
That's pretty hefty. That might have just made up my mind for me on whether or not I was going to go with mild steel or chromoly.

Thats the next step. I have to have the rear points welded in from underneath to make them NHRA legal. Will be scheduling that one probably the week after next. I may also have the front two points welded in too for piece of mind.
Have the rules changed? Bolt in used to be legal provided you used the correct size and diameter of bottom plate with the specified bolt size and pattern.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back