Methanol Injection, who's using it?

Al Guapo

forum member
Reaction score
Decided to throw caution into the wind and just do it.

Just ordered the snow stage 2 kit from American Muscle. I'm very excited to see what kind of gains this will get me!

Why?

Not exactly a dyno king with 400/420 @9psi, 14 degrees, 11:5 A/F (92 degrees in August)

I hear detonation on 80+ degree days. Especially with partial throttle.

If anyone is using methanol please tell me your experiences.

After this mod I may have to start thinking about ditching the stock tires and driveshaft.

95ragtop

forum member
Reaction score
Detonation is no bueno man, especially if you're hearing it at partial throttle. Do you have an intercooler? I have no personal experience, just what my Tuner has told me. He suggested to only use it to cool and not use it solely as an octane booster because if the pump fails then you are still using the timing programmed. Where is you're iat sensor and you're maf?

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Many many threads on this. I have used it for 2 years now and love it.

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
do a search.. I did a complete write up on it a few months ago..

The tuners for some reason decided not to raise the hp at all for me though =-/.. but at least I shouldn't blow up.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
I don't run methanol on my mustang but I have on other cars.

Using a 50/50 mix, and a progressive spray up to 11psi, I gained ~15whp from just having the spray turned on (not tuned for it, 1.8L supercharged 4 banger). I think you made the right choice going with meth injection. No real reason not to use it.

Whatever you do, don't buy the "boost juice" or whatever they sell. Find a local race shop and just buy meth from the pump. Where I am, it costs about $7/gallon (a little high).

5.SLOW

Reaction score
has anyone had probs of meth getting inside the throttle body electronics and messing it all up and making the butterflies hard to open?

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
has anyone had probs of meth getting inside the throttle body electronics and messing it all up and making the butterflies hard to open?

Not specific to the S197 but between my close friends and I, we've easily clocked over 100,000 miles on supercharged motors with the methanol injected after the MAF and before the TB. Never one problem with the TB sensors.

One thing that may be of concern to some people is that meth injection tends to strip the "coating" on the rotors in a lot of superchargers. I've been told it is a teflon coating for heat, I've also been told it is for noise. All I know is that it does come off (first hand experience) but that most people say it's not a big deal.

It's also important to not go over the 50/50 recommended mix. Over 50% methanol, you will need to start compensating for the extra fuel provided (tweak your tune).

A 50/50 mix of water/meth would raise your octane rating by about 25% (based on the octane of the gas you are using). It will not work, however, for race gas that is already a higher octane than the 50/50 mix. Methanol has an octane of (R+M)/2 of 119.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back