More Tuning Questions - Unlocking Converter When Off Throttle?

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
I slapped my first self-written tune on the '05 yesterday. Decent results so far, but I've got a few areas to improve on. My question: One of the things I really liked about the default Brenspeed tune that came with the kit was that I could let off the gas whenever I wanted and the converter would unlock. This made passing, scooting up hills, etc very effortless and nice- I'd just let off the gas for a second, tap the gas and have the RPMs climb quick.

Now, the damn converter stays locked almost all of the time. It's a bit annoying as it feels like I'm lugging the engine. All of the converter/trans settings were copied over from a default Paxton/Vortech non-IC'd tune.

Looking in Advantage, I would assume that I need to modify the "Trans Converter Unlock (2-5)" tables under Shift/lock Schedule > Torque Converter. However, the lowest TP available in these tables is 50 (or greater depending on the gear). I'd assume that I'd want to select 0 TP and make the MPH very low (but, TP doesn't go that low in these tables).

Right below this section I found the "Torque Converter MSA" area, with the "Trans Converter Unlock (1-5) MSA". These tables appear to be ALREADY set up to what I'd want, assuming they do what I'd expect- for 0 TP, the converter unlock is set to 21.5 MPH across the board. Should I lower this to 1 MPH or something?

Any help/feedback is greatly appreciated, as always. Thanks!

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
I'm kind of thinking I'm going to have to figure this one out on my own. LOL

So here's what I'm going to try:
For the "Trans Converter Lock MSA" tables for gears 2,3, and 4 I set a value of 127 MPH for 0 TP.
For the "Trans Converter Unlock MSA" tables for gears 2,3, and 4 I set of value of 1 MPH for 0 TP.

By my thinking, this should make the converter unlock at 0 TP at any speed...meaning as soon as I let off the gas, the converter will unlock and NOT lock back up until it reaches the next TP threshold.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
This seemed to have worked. Now I'm ready to start slowly adding timing in. :D

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back