Moser? Strange? True-trac and C-clip eliminators?

rayS197

Reaction score
After a sad day at the track last Friday and the one wheel burnouts etc, I think its time to address the issue. I been reading a lot of posts and it seems most on this forum went with the Moser C-clip axles and the true-trac diff. Im sold on the True -trac and while Im there Im thinking of upgrading the axles. I have some questions about axles and c-clip eliminators. Mosers are steel and Stranges are alloy which are lighter and strong? Strange has a complete package, axles, studs, C-clip eliminators and you can reuse the ABS reluctors. The person I spoke with at Strange stated the C-clip eliminators are streetable and the days of leaking are long gone. My question is should I do the eliminators? advantages or disadvantages and when does it become a concern for safety at the track?? Here is the kit from Strange I am looking into (Top one). :hi:

http://www.strangeengineering.net/newprod/FordAlloyWEB.html

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Did you just post in another thread about using RP and additive? Put additive with RP and the clutches won't grab (one wheel peel) because RP already has friction modifier in it.

I can tell you I have a trutrac and really like it.

rayS197

Reaction score
Yep I bought the modifer, lube, gears, bearing kit, etc and had a shop do the install. They said it wouldnt hurt with the modifier so.. The shop has done a lot of installs and sells RP. you may be right. Too late now.

Tre06GTP1SC

South Texas Death Ride
Reaction score
I have Strange Pro race 33 spline axles with c clip eliminators and their heavy duty diff. Haven't had any issues, but as a Disclaimer I have not run the car hard nor raced it yet with this setup. And as tmcolegr suggested you will have to do some fab'ing on the stock axle housing register

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Axle retainers are always safer than C clips but they are not required until you are turning in the 9's. I decided to just go with Moser axles and the Trutrac when I did mine. With an auto the odds of breaking an axle at my power levels just didn't warrant the added expense of going with the eliminator setup.

Earl

rayS197

Reaction score
I would encourage anyone considering using Strange Engineering C-Clip Eliminators to review this thread

http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45952&highlight=C-Clip

I have Strange Pro race 33 spline axles with c clip eliminators and their heavy duty diff. Haven't had any issues, but as a Disclaimer I have not run the car hard nor raced it yet with this setup. And as tmcolegr suggested you will have to do some fab'ing on the stock axle housing register

Yeppers! I read your thread yesterday morning and knowing my luck I wont be one of the lucky ones to just bolt up the kit with no issues.

stang67gt

wrench turner
Reaction score
Axle retainers are always safer than C clips but they are not required until you are turning in the 9's. Earl

Actually its required when running quicker than 10.99 in the 1/4 or 6.99 in the 1/8 or anytime running a spool.

niner555

forum member
Reaction score
With having disc brakes in the rear, do they not basically act as axle retention devices? I mean, sure, if the axle snapped right at the flange, I could see where the wheel could potentially come off, but a break at that point seems highly unlikely due to the fillet. Seems that when an axle breaks, it is always towards the spline side?

Just sayin'......

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
Ray, I used the Strange eliminator kit and had no problems like addressed in other threads. Went togehter no problem. My car was a late 2005 build, 2006 model.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Ray, I used the Strange eliminator kit and had no problems like addressed in other threads. Went togehter no problem. My car was a late 2005 build, 2006 model.

Mine also. Might be one thing I was lucky with when it comes to my car. Mounting plates bolted up true and the axle tubes are solid welded at the ends. After reading the other threads on them I feel I need to take the whole thing apart and reevaluate. There is no way something can go smooth for me and not for others. LOL

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Mine also. Might be one thing I was lucky with when it comes to my car. Mounting plates bolted up true and the axle tubes are solid welded at the ends. After reading the other threads on them I feel I need to take the whole thing apart and reevaluate. There is no way something can go smooth for me and not for others. LOL

I have done 4 sets of Strange Engineering's C-Clip Eliminators and all 4 were a bitch. Not due to issues with Strange Engineering's kit, but because of inconsistencies with Ford's manufacturing process.

• NONE of the axle housings were manufactured to the same tolerances.
  • NONE had the end flanges welded continuously as I posted in my thread.
  • NONE were machined to the same dimension and all had to have further massaging of the axle housing
For those of you that haven't had any issues, I would question your inspection process (nothing personal) or suggest you go purchase a lottery ticket as you were one lucky Mofo!!

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
  • NONE of the axle housings were manufactured to the same tolerances.
  • NONE had the end flanges welded continuously as I posted in my thread.
  • NONE were machined to the same dimension and all had to have further massaging of the axle housing

I have a few questions. When you say none of the housings were the same tolerance, is that refering to the massaging at the axle ends?

On the register that locates the brake caliper bracket, how important is it for this to be machined perfectly flush at the face, like you said a file would work. Or even being handy with a grinder would work, as it seems to me as long as it doesn't bottom out on the bracket recess and you have enough to allow the o-ring to seal it's good.

The amount left after cutting the axle tube specified a max amount of protrusion not a minimum. I didn't see any reason for this portion to protrude at all so why not cut is flush with the larger register?

The portion of the flange that is not welded. I have a welder so I did weld it. However this does not effect the way the O-ring seals against the inside of the flange. Nothing a little RTV couldn't fix as a precaution. It's not like it's sealing off high pressure oil. It's splash at best at that location.

No offense was taken just looking for your thoughts as I feel I may have over simplified the install when I did it.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I have a few questions. When you say none of the housings were the same tolerance, is that refering to the massaging at the axle ends?

On the register that locates the brake caliper bracket, how important is it for this to be machined perfectly flush at the face, like you said a file would work. Or even being handy with a grinder would work, as it seems to me as long as it doesn't bottom out on the bracket recess and you have enough to allow the o-ring to seal it's good.

The amount left after cutting the axle tube specified a max amount of protrusion not a minimum. I didn't see any reason for this portion to protrude at all so why not cut is flush with the larger register?

The portion of the flange that is not welded. I have a welder so I did weld it. However this does not effect the way the O-ring seals against the inside of the flange. Nothing a little RTV couldn't fix as a precaution. It's not like it's sealing off high pressure oil. It's splash at best at that location.

No offense was taken just looking for your thoughts as I feel I may have over simplified the install when I did it.

All 4 of the axles I installed Strange Engineering's C-Clip Eliminators on had the exact same issues which I documented in this thread

http://s197forum.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=C-Clip

Keep in mind when I assemble a component that doesn't meet the manufacturer's specification, I do whatever is necessary to correct those issues so they are within recommended specifications. Will it work being out of spec?? I don't know.

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
All 4 of the axles I installed Strange Engineering's C-Clip Eliminators on had the exact same issues which I documented in this thread

http://s197forum.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=C-Clip

Keep in mind when I assemble a component that doesn't meet the manufacturer's specification, I do whatever is necessary to correct those issues so they are within recommended specifications. Will it work being out of spec?? I don't know.

Yes I read the thread, just thought you might have more input after doing a few more.

Back