MT82 Shifts High RPM

Geo2JZ

forum member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this doesn't belong in tech but I didn't really feel it should go in Mustang chit chat. If I'm wrong please move it.

I have only owned my car a few weeks and so far I love everything except the poor shifting. It is a bigger problem now that the car revs over 7500.

The only modifications I have done relevant to the shifting are

Pedal assembly spring removal
Barton Shifter Bracket

Both things certainly helped. I didn't get the shifter as I dont have a problem with the shift throw but does it help otherwise? I feel like the main problem is related to the clutch/clutch-hydraulics. I have read a lot of threads and some people say the shifting will be poor until you get a twin disk. Then I see other guys that claim they bang gears fine.

Now I can get it to shift at high RPM if I shift it slow. When I say slow I dont' mean full on granny shifting but not how I'm use to. My other cars shift very well so I'm not use to having to slow down so I don't miss/lock out of the gear.

Another thing I have noticed is as the RPMs pass 6000 the shifter starts to pull/tighten up. Is there a torque damper or something like that available for these cars?

Anyway the questions I have are

Will the short shifter help further in what I'm describing above even though I already have the bracket?

Will changing my transmission fluid help? I read some suggested Redline MTL.

Am I screwed until I get a twin disk?

When shifting at 7000 the problem is less apparent. I could even wot shift the 1/2 and 3/4. Third I could speed shift it lifting.

I'm going to the track on Sunday for the first time. Hopefully I don't spend all day missing gears.

BTW other mods not that it matters are

Boss 302 Intake Manifold
Air Aid Intake
Mail Order Tune
Magnaflow Off-road X pipe
Magnaflow Axle backs
BMR Lower control arms and relocation bracket
BMR pan hard adj bar

422whp/376tq

onebadgsx

Reaction score
Stainless steel clutch line and good dot 4 synthetic fluid will do wonders. But it all boils down to poor clutch design.

I good single disc will make it disappear completely

Geo2JZ

forum member
Reaction score
Cool well I will try that next (the line and the fluid). Do you recommend I change the trans fluid at same time?

When the cluch is done or when I get tired of the bullshit I will get a McCloud twin disk. I guess that is the best one and I plan to put a blower on it soon anyway.

JDos1

forum member
Reaction score
A good fluid definitely helps. I'm running Amsoil MTG. Also a shifter will be a great improvement. I'm running an MGW and love it. All notchy shifting that I was having disappeared after I installed it.

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
Install an MGW shifter.

All my shifting issues went away when I did that. Fluids, clutch lines, "brackets" and all that are popular (and relatively expensive) non-solutions.

onebadgsx

Reaction score
Stock shifter here with upgraded bracket, ss line and upgraded fluid fixes everything but the clutch itself.

djniknala

forum member
Reaction score
It is a two fold problem. First it's the GT clutch at high rpm. It was never designed for that high RPM shifting. The pressure plate is a little weak when compared to the Boss PP or any good aftermarket single disk. Second is the remote shifter. As the engine torques at high rpm(think momentum not torque) the gates become somewhat of a moving target. You can help eliminate this by new motor mounts or torque limiters. The clutch line, dot 4 fluid and shifter bracket(which I have done) all help but don't eliminate the root of the causes IMO.

Geo2JZ

forum member
Reaction score
It is a two fold problem. First it's the GT clutch at high rpm. It was never designed for that high RPM shifting. The pressure plate is a little weak when compared to the Boss PP or any good aftermarket single disk. Second is the remote shifter. As the engine torques at high rpm(think momentum not torque) the gates become somewhat of a moving target. You can help eliminate this by new motor mounts or torque limiters. The clutch line, dot 4 fluid and shifter bracket(which I have done) all help but don't eliminate the root of the causes IMO.

Thank you for the response. I think I'm just going to get a clutch next then at the same time do those other mods. Like I said it is the ONLY thing I do t like about this car.

Who makes a torque limiter for this car? I checked AM and didn't see one.

djniknala

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you for the response. I think I'm just going to get a clutch next then at the same time do those other mods. Like I said it is the ONLY thing I do t like about this car.

Who makes a torque limiter for this car? I checked AM and didn't see one.

CHE makes the only torque limiters I know of but I would also do motor mounts so that the torque limiters aren't doing all the work.

DTL

forum member
Reaction score
Changing motor mounts was the "magic bullet" that eliminated my lockout / difficult shifting problems. I also did a MGW shifter, pedal spring delete, braided steel clutch line and good fluid (which all helped), but the mounts made all the difference.

Wile E. Coyote

Reaction score
Good info, its a shame ford didn't put more thought/research into the MT82. I have heard of guys needing a full transmission rebuild with less the 10k on the odometer.

5PointOHNO

forum member
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm just lucky, but I shift damn near 8000 as fast or as slow as I want. I'm clearing the traps @ 133 (best) and 132 MPH (several times). My setup is entirely stock and I have boiled the fluid once in the burnout box after hotlapping the car a few too many times.

I don't expect the clutch to last forever with my HP level, but I wouldn't expect it to burn so quickly at 420+ RWHP either. Interesting.

The only thing I have ever done to my drivetrain was the ford service bulletin for the fluid in early 2011.

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
Has anyone here had a different brand short shifter prior to having the MGW?

I installed the Barton 2 post bracket yesterday and I am pretty impressed with the results. I used to have notchy shifts about 80% of the time during normal driving and now with the bracket, it's down to about 10-15%

I will be installing my streeda SS this coming week and hope it will put it exactly where I want it. If not I will pull the trigger on the MGW.

Nick

Wile E. Coyote

Reaction score

I installed the Barton 2 post bracket yesterday and I am pretty impressed with the results. I used to have notchy shifts about 80% of the time during normal driving and now with the bracket, it's down to about 10-15%

I will be installing my streeda SS this coming week and hope it will put it exactly where I want it. If not I will pull the trigger on the MGW.

Nick

Let me know how it works out for you, I'm looking for a S.S. too

JDos1

forum member
Reaction score

Nick

Not a shifter itself but I did have the Barton single post bracket, the difference between it and the MGW was stupid. I was still having tons of notchy 1-2,2-3 shifts with the bracket, and it's nearly eliminated with the MGW. The only time I have a notchy shift is 1-2 when the trans is really hot in stop/go traffic.

Geo2JZ

forum member
Reaction score
Yup already did that. Went to track today in one pass missed 2 gears. Second pass shifter super slow and it went in at 7500. Third pass shifted fast at 6800-7000 and they went in.

You guys gave me some things to try. First is going to be the CHE parts, clutch line, and fluid.

If that doesn't work twin disk.

Last edited:
Back