MT82 - issues with 4th

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
One of the main reasons I'm switching to aftermarket clutch is the high rpm lockouts, I'm just tired of it. 4th seems to be the worst of them though. Anything above like 4500 and it'll grind, if I let it wind down, it shifts fine. The 1-2 shift got better with the MGW, but it still isn't the easiest of shifts. I notice it TONS more after driving my T5 yesterday, every shift with that car is like butter compared to this one.

However, I noticed something weird. Clutch in and car rolling, I can pull the shifter handle back into 4th, and then go a little further to where I can feel like gears riding on each other or interfering. 4th is the only gear this happens in. Every other gear when you pull it back, it stops against a solid stop and you can't go further. But not 4th. What's going on here? Is this the shift fork in that gear going out or what?

If it was my T5, it feels like the shift stop bolt isn't adjusted far in enough. But AFAIK, there's no adjustment like that on an MGW shifter.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Internal, most likely a bent shift fork on 4th.
Grinding can be from a clutch issue, or worn syncronizer because of a clutch issue.
Sorry, just a new clutch wont fix all of it.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I was expecting / hoping the clutch to fix the high RPM lockouts stuff. This issue with fourth gear I had no dreams of just a clutch fixing it.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
The shift stops may not be correctly set on the shifter. That said, I agree with Juice, there are internal issues afoot. May be a good idea to have it gone through with some upgrades before putting that Exedy Mach 500 in. There after you should be golden. beefcake racing has some MT-82 options through Calimer. They send you the new tranny and you send back the core.
https://www.beefcakeracing.com/model/mustang/2011-2014-mustang-s197/drivetrain/

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
moved to tech huh? I thought it got deleted, lol.

So I noticed something else while driving around the other day and experimenting. It only seems to grind on high rpm shifting when going 1 - 4 (I have skip shift still enabled). If I high rpm shift from 3-4, it goes in just fine, no grinding, and I Don't have to wait for it to come down.

I've never really had a manual apart, but is this because they're on different shafts or something? Maybe I just need to have PBD disable skip shift? But I really like it on my DD to be honest.

mustangGT90210

Reaction score
I've never really had a manual apart, but is this because they're on different shafts or something? Maybe I just need to have PBD disable skip shift? But I really like it on my DD to be honest.
That may be the first time that has ever been said about skip shift!

I am a bit confused as to why your skip shift should even be in the equation when talking about high rpm stuff. I only ever get skip-shifted when I'm just puttering around. I don't have a good grasp of the system, but it seems like if you're at 4500rpm in 1st gear, skip shift should not activate?

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
LoL, I know .... I'm a bit odd. Why do people not like it?

There's more to the equation than just rpm's. You can be at a high rpm and skip shift still activates. It has to do with how quickly you are accelerating through the gear, not just the rpm of the gear. If that makes sense.

Is there maybe something involved with that system that could be going bad or failing and causing this issue?

jimmy120

Reaction score
I was expecting / hoping the clutch to fix the high RPM lockouts stuff. This issue with fourth gear I had no dreams of just a clutch fixing it.
Do you have a short throw shifter or factory?

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Do you have a short throw shifter or factory?

MGW race spec shifter

The issue with 4th is still there, but it's a lot better. I was driving it home the other day without using the clutch pedal (I get bored sometimes, and it's good practice, lol), and I cannot get it into 4th without massive grinding and interference. I'm pretty sure the synchros for 4th are gone, or on their way out.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
MGW race spec shifter

The issue with 4th is still there, but it's a lot better. I was driving it home the other day without using the clutch pedal (I get bored sometimes, and it's good practice, lol), and I cannot get it into 4th without massive grinding and interference. I'm pretty sure the synchros for 4th are gone, or on their way out.
I find it practically impossible to shift these newer cars without using the clutch.
I can shift a toploader 4spd clutchless easy.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I can get any gear to go smoothly, except 4th. It just grinds and you can feel the shifter like bouncing off the gears. It doesn't feel good.

Haven't tried with the T5 in my '66, but I might next time I have it out.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Most any older (non-electronic controlled, no skip shift, etc.) synchronized manual transmission if you match engine speed with rpms it will easily shift into the appropriate gear without depressing the clutch. I am not familiar with the MT82, but have a lot of experience with Tremec's and BW T-5s, they will all do this soft gear engagement.

My .02 cents... change fluid in tranny and readjust shifter engagement/stop (especially in 4th gear). If not resolved, then synchro or bent fork or something else internally is the issue.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
fluid was changed about 8k ago. Clutch was done about 3k ago to Exedy unit, which helped out with some of the problems. I don't think there is any kind of adjustment stops on an MGW shifter. I've driven this car many times before without using the clutch, it performs just as any other manual trans I've shifted without a clutch does.

There's just something wrong with my 4th gear, I think it's the synchros.

I was thinking of having PBD disable the skip shift feature to see if it's something with that causing an issue. It really only happens bad when I try to go from 1st to 4th quickly at higher rpms and without giving it literally a second or 2 in-between the 1-4 shift.

I can go from 3rd to 4th quick, high rpms and it doesn't grind.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Yes disable the skip shift and see if that changes anything.

Also, I am very familiar with Hurst and Pro 5.0 shifters. Unfortunately, not MGW or any other type of MT82 shifters...

I looked up MGW and there is a throw adjustment.
MGW SHIFTER INSTALL 2005 2009 MUSTANG - YouTube
Go to 7 minute mark

Also went to the MGW website. Never knew there was a reverse lock out feature.
MGW Aftermarket Racing Shifters (mgwshifters.com)

Not sure if this will help, but anything other than dropping a tranny and doing a rebuild is worthwhile trying.

Last edited:

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Fourth gear also just steals totally different than all the others when going into it. With the car stopped, engine off, every other gear if you pull back as hard as you can, or push forward as hard as you can there's like a physical stop you can feel. But that's not the case for fourth you can just pull it back and then it feels a little squishy.

I'll try to upload a little video of what I mean, you can definitely feel it, I don't know if you can see it in the shifter handle. My wife could definitely feel the difference when I showed her. But I don't know anyone else near me with a 6-speed GT car to see what their fourth gear is like

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back