Murphy Oil Soap

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
1991.jpg

My uncle came over the other night and wanted me to look at how shiny his truck was. He told me that he had washed it in Murphy Oil Soap. I'll admit, it was very shiny compared to how it usually looks after he washes it. He's not much on detailing his stuff, he's in his 70s. Maybe waxes once a year, etc.

But anyway, I was just curious if anyone else has ever heard of using it on cars? The damn thing almost looked like it had been waxed after just washing it. I'm sure I won't be doing it, but I don't know if I should tell him to stop or not, lol. I wouldn't think I could be a good idea.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Don't know about the Murphy's but I have a similar story. When I was 16 I bought a 1970 Chevy truck from my uncle. I was two tone orange and white with the orange on top, white in the middle and orange on the bottom. Well the orange was faded really bad. Now keep in mind this of course wasn't a clear coat paint job I can't remember what the paint used from the factory was back then but it was factory paint. One day I was at my pappa's house and was telling him that someday I wanted to get the truck painted because it was faded so badly. He says I can fix it so I say well go ahead. He goes inside and gets a bottle of Soft n Scrub and washes the hood with it. It freakin looked like brand new paint when he was finished! Funny how the old guys know these things. LOL

Edit: Daniel, I ordered some BFWD the other day and I've never used it before. My plan on my black 2011 GT is to wash with the citrus wash, then clay then apply the BFWD by hand as I dont have a porter cable. Does this sound OK to you?

Last edited:

Cooter

forum member
Reaction score
Never heard of the Murphy's Oil Soap before. I knew a guy that would wash his old copper colored F150 with Mop n Glow. That thing would shine like a new penny when he was done. It was impressive. The truck was like a late 70s F-150 but was a repaint.

May have to try the Murphy's on one of these ambulances.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Edit: Daniel, I ordered some BFWD the other day and I've never used it before. My plan on my black 2011 GT is to wash with the citrus wash, then clay then apply the BFWD by hand as I dont have a porter cable. Does this sound OK to you?

Yep, it's easy to use. Just remember to wait for a day before you put on a second coat.

I'm really blown away with how good his truck looks. Even a few days later it's still shining like crazy.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I wonder what the paint would look like if you washed it in vegetable oil, maybe canola oil would be better?

I've done some searching and it seems that quite a few people are doing this. The Murphy Soap, not the Canola oil, lol

His paint isn't oily feeling at all, it's just really shiny.

Like I say, I don't plan on doing it or anything, but I just wanted to see if any of you guys had ever heard of it. This was the first time I've ever heard of such a thing, myself.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
There are also a lot of threads talking about how awesome "this product" or "that product" is but neither of us would ever use it.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I've already seen the results and it looks great. But I'm not doing it to one of my vehicles (they're already shiny enough, lol) I'll stick to what I know is good for them. I'm sure my uncle just poured some in a bucket. I doubt he measured or anything, lol I didn't see anything about the actual ratio anywhere, though.

Cooter

forum member
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I might just give it a try on the ambulance at work tonight. Could be interesting!!

I never found anything about dilution ratio's either. I read through all those threads.

Last edited:

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Give it a try and report back. I really was hoping to find some info about the long term effects of using it somewhere, but so far, nothing.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Does it bead water like wax? I might just try this on my son's Mazda.

---
- Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk, bitches!

That I don't know. I should have spray tested it when he had it over at my house. I may try it on my dad's old ranger if I get time this weekend.

mpf

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think the stuff has any lather to it, never liked the cleaning power on household stuff. I bet the 'shine' doesn't last long....it certainly has no polishing agents in it...

Redwolf

Reaction score
I heard of this a while back from a friend who knew someone that did this with similar results described. I was very skeptical seeing how someone was using something made for hardwood floors on a painted car. So, I first researched the ingredients after I found them.

Lauramidopropylamine Oxide is used in laundry detergents and palmolive hand soap are the most common uses. Sodium Tallate is used in hand cleaner and bar soap. The other ingredients are preservatives/stability and "scents". Based on what I found, I won't be using a household cleaning product on my car. I am sticking to car washes and quality sealants/waxes. They have worked the best.

mds08

forum member
Reaction score
Murphy's Oil Soap has been used for years. I use my Suburban in it and it shines like new money. It will not make lots of bubbles. I have washed the Stang a few times with it. It does work great! I have a friend of the family who is in his 80's and after he washes his cars he sprays WD-40 on everything but the wheels,then lets it sit for a day or so,then just re-washes it again. It looks awesome. He has an old Caddy and a conversion van and you would swear the paint looks like a new car. He never uses wax. Its funny the things you learn from the elder ones. People even wiped their cars down with keresene years ago or use furniture polish on the finish.

Back