mustang vs mustang/camaro

Jay Dee

Reaction score
Will a 05-10 mustang (with the basic bolt ons - cai/tune/exhaust/4.10gears) beat the new mustangs and camaros in the 1/4 mile???

funmoneypit

forum member
Reaction score
Will a 05-10 mustang (with the basic bolt ons - cai/tune/exhaust/4.10gears) beat the new mustangs and camaros in the 1/4 mile???

With all the above mods I was about 300rwhp so I really doubt it considering the 5.0 is about 365+rwhp. It all depends on the driver though. I don't know what the new Camaro has to the rear wheels but I doubt it is much less.

3vs197

forum member
Reaction score
eh depends on what your talking about. a very well driven fully bolted 05-10 will be a race e.t. wise for a new stock 5.0 sure. The 5.0 will trap higher though.

HEMI LOL

The Feast and The Famine
Reaction score
ive got similar BPUs and i can get away from a L99 camaro SS.(automatics). they are totally nueterued by torque management in stock form.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
and 05-10 lightly modded can beat an auto SS, not the manual SS, and no chance again the 5.0 unless significantly bolted on.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I've seen a guy hot-lap his Auto SS and run 14.0-14.1 all night here in Vegas, just couldn't break into the 13's on his stock tires. My S197 stock ran 13.9-14.1 on stock tires, and I'm a manual. My best 60' stock was 2.19. The SS was 2.3+ 60'. Can't remember what I trapped stock, but I'm pretty sure it was right around 100, the SS was trapping higher.

I've only seen a couple stock manual 5.0's and 1 auto run at the track. The manual's weren't impressive, they couldn't keep them planted, but were trapping around 108-110. The one auto made a 13.6 pass, but I never got to see his slip and the mph display was malfunctioning, it showed a trap of 360mph lol. Maddd wheel spin for him, I guess LOL.

A lightly modded S197 with a good tune has a fair chance of putting the hurt on a SS. They're such heavy piles, and the S197 torque is far easier to control. You spin or miss gears on the track, your E/T is gonna suck nuts and you may not be crossing that line first if we're talking who makes the finish line first. Even on street tires I roll 13.6's at the track with 2.5 60' lol.

Bench racing, no. A lightly modded S197 shouldn't beat a SS or Coyote. Real world, what happens at the track is another story. Driver skill plays huge. According to Car & Driver, 05-10 S197 is slower than the SS or Coyote, by a good margin. What you could run against a buddy's SS or Coyote at the track, is iffy.

Last edited:

MetalObsession

forum member
Reaction score
The last time I went to the track, I saw Camaro SS's run in the 14's and atleast one of the was a Manual. It is definitely possible to beat them under the right circumstances.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
I went to the track with a new 5.0 that had CAI exhaust and tune and he was running 14s. No clue how to drive it. His best at the end of the night was a 13.8

ubeenbit

forum member
Reaction score
I have a new 5.0 with x, cai, and my tune. Dyno 425 rwhp. On radials at the track i better be one of the first ones to run to have any hope of traction. My best run off the street was my first run ever in the car 12.6@114 2.0 60ft hitting the rev limiter and wheel hop like crazy.

I have been beat to the finish plenty of times because i cannot get traction on radials. Diesel trucks, hondas, mustangs, lots of slower vehicles that do get a good 60 ft. It is hard playing catchup on a quarter mile track.

Funny thing is afterwards when it is roll racing some of those same people who witnessed the very poor track times come to play and usually leave with frowns or make excuses on why their car did not perform correctly Cars that are trapping 115+ I am beating from a roll.

Point is if the driver cant drive or get traction you can and will win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
dont the new camaros weight about as much as the USS Intrepid?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I belive they are 38,000 lbs with a 1/4 tank of fuel.

06Mach1

forum member
Reaction score
I heard the new Camaro is so heavy, it has its own gravitational force. This may help it at the drag strip.

swat 79

forum member
Reaction score
eh depends on what your talking about. a very well driven fully bolted 05-10 will be a race e.t. wise for a new stock 5.0 sure. The 5.0 will trap higher though.

This. You can run similar times in a well driven bolt on 3v, but you're trap won't be the same, save a few examples (I believe a couple of people on this site have run mid twelves with a 109+ mph trap, with bolt ons).

All it takes is a cai/tune to keep up with an auto ss, they're not quick and don't trap high at all (On the fast list, the majority of the traps are right around where a 2010 gt traps). To run with a manual ss, you can run faster times but will more then likely not trap as fast.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
The s197 is no featherweight. Its just not as big of a battleship as the new camaro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back