My car is shredding serpentine belts like no ones business...HELP!

MickeySaleen

Barricade
Reaction score
My car's setup consist of a saleen blower with a 3.6" supercharger pulley and a roush tensioner...all other pulleys are stock. Here is the short version of the story:

I drive my car quite hard most of the time and about 3 weeks ago, I was at a deserted u-turn so I dumped the clutch at 3k and spun the car around the turn (which I do quite frequently with no problem), only this time my serpentine belt snapped. I looked up online the correct size I needed as the part number on the belt was no longer visible. According to a few different threads on different forums and backed up by Brenspeed, I need a 108 3/4" belt with my current setup. I tried for two hours to fit that belt on and there was no way in hell it was fitting, definitely too small. I had a buddy cranking down the tensioner for all she was worth and there was no way in hell that belt was slipping over the s/c pulley. I went and bought a 109 3/8" belt and was able to slip that on and it was quite snug...didnt feel loose at all. After giving the car a little gas in second gear, the belt shot off the pulleys and was shredded. I went and bought another belt of the same size and it happened again when just giving it a little gas this time.

So now I feel like something else is wrong..it shouldnt be shredding belts this easy and I never had this problem before. Anyone have any ideas? Bent pulley maybe? Thanks in advance guys

Mickey

circusboy

forum member
Reaction score
check you crank pulley to see if it is separating. It just happened to me, but I was on the Dyno.

Sounds like your pullies aren't lined up

Forward Performance

Reaction score
You will never get it on if you are trying to put it on the blower pulley last... Wrap the belt around everything and put the last loop around the water pump pulley. Reason being the w/p pulley has a smooth rounded edge with no lip.

Once you do get it on, just let it idle, shut it off and look for abnormal wear to determine if it is rubbing on something.

Leland
My car's setup consist of a saleen blower with a 3.6" supercharger pulley and a roush tensioner...all other pulleys are stock. Here is the short version of the story:

I drive my car quite hard most of the time and about 3 weeks ago, I was at a deserted u-turn so I dumped the clutch at 3k and spun the car around the turn (which I do quite frequently with no problem), only this time my serpentine belt snapped. I looked up online the correct size I needed as the part number on the belt was no longer visible. According to a few different threads on different forums and backed up by Brenspeed, I need a 108 3/4" belt with my current setup. I tried for two hours to fit that belt on and there was no way in hell it was fitting, definitely too small. I had a buddy cranking down the tensioner for all she was worth and there was no way in hell that belt was slipping over the s/c pulley. I went and bought a 109 3/8" belt and was able to slip that on and it was quite snug...didnt feel loose at all. After giving the car a little gas in second gear, the belt shot off the pulleys and was shredded. I went and bought another belt of the same size and it happened again when just giving it a little gas this time.

So now I feel like something else is wrong..it shouldnt be shredding belts this easy and I never had this problem before. Anyone have any ideas? Bent pulley maybe? Thanks in advance guys

Mickey

Last edited:

MickeySaleen

Barricade
Reaction score
You will never get it on if you are trying to put it on the blower pulley last... Wrap the belt around everything and put the last loop around the water pump pulley. Reason being the w/p pulley has a smooth rounded edge with no lip.

Once you do get it on, just let it idle, shut it off and look for abnormal wear to determine if it is rubbing on something.

Leland

Thanks for the tip...however, do you think that is the reason I am shredding belt after belt? I think there is a bigger problem here..

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
+1 Also, check your belt tensioner. Most of us have gone through a couple of those.

Leland

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Are you running the Saleen 76mm plastic guided idler pulley next to the.power steering pump? if so check to make sure that idler pulley has not failed.

MickeySaleen

Barricade
Reaction score
Are you running the Saleen 76mm plastic guided idler pulley next to the.power steering pump? if so check to make sure that idler pulley has not failed.

I have not changed any pulleys besides the tensioner and the blower pulley...my car was originally stock without a blower and had the saleen o/d pulley setup. That was replaced when my blower was installed so im assuming the plastic idler is stock like that of a normal GT.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
+1 on making sure that the S/C pulley is one of the first to have the belt wrapped around it when putting the belt on. I used a lazer level to make sure each rib on all my pulleys were lined up, it sounds like something isn't lined up on yours. Are you running a tensioner extension arm like the Thrump_rrr one?

MickeySaleen

Barricade
Reaction score
I am running the Roush tensioner...I am not sure if it is any different size-wise than the stock tensioner...anyone know?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
You have an idler or some other pulley that's gone bad and is causing your belt failures. Pull the belt off and inspect all the pulleys/idlers/tensioner, everything. There is a smooth idler that is common to fail. We've had the same issue with some of the Whipple cars we've done.

MickeySaleen

Barricade
Reaction score
You have an idler or some other pulley that's gone bad and is causing your belt failures. Pull the belt off and inspect all the pulleys/idlers/tensioner, everything. There is a smooth idler that is common to fail. We've had the same issue with some of the Whipple cars we've done.

Thank you, Im going to start tearing into this thing in an hr or so and Ill keep yall posted

kenneth

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have not changed any pulleys besides the tensioner and the blower pulley...my car was originally stock without a blower and had the saleen o/d pulley setup. That was replaced when my blower was installed so im assuming the plastic idler is stock like that of a normal GT.

The plastic idler he was referring to comes with the Saleen kit, IF whoever did the install didn't swap them out you should have the regular pulley in place.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back