So tired of my 06 Saleen S281 eating belts ready to get rid of

DieHarder

Reaction score
After scanning these pics appears you have an alignment problem where the back edge of the belt is hanging off of one of the pulleys and has definitely stressed and even chunked out part of the belt in places. I'd pay close attention to where the belt rides on the idlers; check all of the pulleys for alignment and if necessary look at making up some spacers for the idlers to realign the belt so it's not riding off of the edge.

In my own case I had a belt issue caused by a blower and alternator mount misalignment. Took a bit to work out but it's good now.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
To my personal experience with this cogged belts they are not a good choice for blower application. My Goodyear Gatorback was finished after 10.000 km.
Have you checked all idler pulleys? These wear at one side is often a misalignment or too much play in an idler.
I changed all idler bearings at 40k mi at my 4.6l, 3 out of 5 (or 6) were gone. One too much play, 2 more made grinding noises, Canada brand, so no cheap stuff, very disappointing.

The depicted... 'cogged belt' looks like an accident waiting to happen. Didn't know they even existed before I saw those pix. The cogged belt looks like you took a ribbed belt, and cut notches out of it. You end up with less meat on the cogged belt.

JC SSP

Reaction score
When I think S/C and cogged belt... this is what comes to mind. As far as I know, these don't slip but make a very cool whine!

OIP.jpg

AHaze

Reaction score
After scanning these pics appears you have an alignment problem where the back edge of the belt is hanging off of one of the pulleys and has definitely stressed and even chunked out part of the belt in places. I'd pay close attention to where the belt rides on the idlers; check all of the pulleys for alignment and if necessary look at making up some spacers for the idlers to realign the belt so it's not riding off of the edge.
Now with the pictures, I'd agree there's a pulley alignment and/or condition issue.
I took the initial statement by the OP that the belt was being "chewed up on the inside" to mean the belt was showing excessive wear on the ribbed surface, but it appears that by "inside" they were referring to the back edge of the belt.
The first thing I would check for alignment is that backwards facing alternator.

GriffX

Reaction score
When I think S/C and cogged belt... this is what comes to mind. As far as I know, these don't slip but make a very cool whine!
The other "cogged" belts were invented from Goodyear as Gatorbacks and now they are Continental Elite. They produce a bit less noise but don't last long and are not good for blower application.

JimC

Reaction score
Looks like this pulley is misaligned and biting into the edge of the belt. It appears to be riding the inside track, and there looks to be a slight bend in the belt

alignment.jpg

Edqe

Reaction score
Looks like a worn pulley. Like it’s sitting too far into the pulley itself and rubbing on the inner walls.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score

View attachment 90752
This I do recognize. Notice the pulley also is cogged. Done that way so they interlock. There is very little chance they could slip. On the OP's 'cogged belt', it doesn't interlock with anything, esp the ribbed inline pulleys.

'Normal' ribbed belts have the ribs inline with the belt.....and ditto with the mating pulley's.

On a sidenote, the belt used on my 2010 Roush M90 is actually a 8 ribbed belt, with 2 x ribs cut off. That was the only way to get a correct length belt. Nobody makes a 6 rib belt of the correct length for the M90 blower setups. Story I got was they turn the 8 rib belt inside out, and run it across a mandrel, and slice 2 ribs off....then flip it back.

moooosestang

Reaction score
Never lost a belt on my 06 with the whipple in 50k miles. I recently change it to a rpm belt which took some adjustment of the whipple sliding pulley to get right since these belts do not stretch. I think your blower isn't aligned properly. Belt slip isn't going to fray the inside edge like that. I still have the stock tensioner! If you are power shifting then disregard. Power shifting is hell on belts with a blower.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Yes, but Power shifting is the only way to get the true BEST speed and E/T out of your car! LOL Wreaks havoc on tyranny's too...

DL Harris

Reaction score
Never lost a belt on my 06 with the whipple in 50k miles. I recently change it to a rpm belt which took some adjustment of the whipple sliding pulley to get right since these belts do not stretch. I think your blower isn't aligned properly. Belt slip isn't going to fray the inside edge like that. I still have the stock tensioner! If you are power shifting then disregard. Power shifting is hell on belts with a blower.
No I don't power shift at all. I have tried one of those RPM belts and also one of those fleet runner belts with the same results. It's possible that my supercharger is misaligned. If only I had a reputable shop to get it checked. I don't have much confidence with the dealerships near me. I really appreciate your feedback and advice on fixing my issue.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd agree, alignment is likely the cause, seen it posted here many times in the last 15 years.

I see you're not far from the TX boarder, maybe some of the Texas guys can suggest a performance shop to check it for you.

DL Harris

Reaction score

In my own case I had a belt issue caused by a blower and alternator mount misalignment. Took a bit to work out but it's good now.
The depicted... 'cogged belt' looks like an accident waiting to happen. Didn't know they even existed before I saw those pix. The cogged belt looks like you took a ribbed belt, and cut notches out of it. You end up with less meat on the cogged belt.
The Gates squilled and chirp constantly . It was so embarrassing on start ups and cruising. They along with other brands of belts didn't last. No noise with the Gatorback but like you said it is a thinner belt compared to the Gates. Thank Thanks

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Definitely looks like something is contacting the belt. Alignment looks fine according to the pictures.

moooosestang

Reaction score
No I don't power shift at all. I have tried one of those RPM belts and also one of those fleet runner belts with the same results. It's possible that my supercharger is misaligned. If only I had a reputable shop to get it checked. I don't have much confidence with the dealerships near me. I really appreciate your feedback and advice on fixing my issue.
loosen all the bolts holding the blower on just a little and see if you can wiggle it one way or the other, tighten them back up and take it for a test drive.

DL Harris

Reaction score
Definitely looks like something is contacting the belt. Alignment looks fine according to the pictures.
I had a few mechanic buddies of mine look at my setup and they noticed that the belt is not running in the center of the tensioner pulley but more to the inside. Haven't decided what my course of action will be yet. I may take the suggestions of doing an upgrade to my tensioner setup.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back