Car didn't pass VA emissions - Green cats in my future?

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Back in March, my car didn't pass Virginia emissions because not enough of the monitors were showing ready/complete. IIRC, I had 4/5 needed tests pass but O2 sensors were reporting not supported and that's what got me. I have cams, JBA long tube headers, & hi-flow cats which were installed in 2016 but I'd never had a problem passing emissions before. But I think VA has gotten more stringent about it apparently because my shop says I'm not their only customer with this problem all of a sudden. I did a lot of searching on this across a couple different forums and the most common answers are:
1) Your rear O2's are turned off in the tune so it doesn't throw codes
2) You need to do a proper driving cycle (10 min highway, 20 min around town) so the computer can complete its tests
3) The O2's are blowing cold (too much airflow so they can't come up to temp in time) - try having your tuner increase the amount of time for the O2's to warm up before testing
4) the O2's might not have enough of a output range to read properly - try using OEM NTK O2 sensors which have a wider range than Bosch

So far
- I cleared the computer and did a driving cycle, ~ 75 mi (no dice)

- Changed my mufflers back to stock because the only mod I'd done since the last time I passed emissions was a set of Borla touring mufflers which are more free flowing than stock. So, even though the cats are probably the restriction point in the exhaust I figured why not, mufflers aren't hard to do. Cleared the computer, another driving cycle (no dice)

- replaced the O2 sensors with NTK's, pulled the battery for 30 min, did another driving cycle ~45 mi (no dice)

- Contacted the shop back in March, said the O2's aren't turned off and they'd check with SCT. Didn't hear anything back for a few weeks, so while I was doing another driving cycle yesterday I stopped by the shop they'd have to look at the tune again to be sure but most likely the rear O2's ARE actually turned off. He also said SCT pretty much said they wouldn't help because as you guys might remember from the news a couple years ago they got slapped pretty hard by the EPA for helping customers circumvent emissions.

I also mentioned to the shop that I drove by one of those RapidPass roadside emissions boxes and failed, so they're fairly certain that regardless of what the computer says, what's coming out the tailpipe isn't in legal limits. They suggested Kooks Green Cats since they're EPA certified and would actually bring my emissions down so I won't have to worry about this anymore.

So, a set of green cats look like they're in my future. Anyone have any thoughts on them?

Kooks does make a green catted H-pipe for long tubes but it has ball & socket flanges, vs the JBA one I have has a slip-on joint. So it looks like I'll either have to get the JBA hi-flow cats cut out and the Kooks cats welded in, or switch the whole cat-forward system to Kooks.

I've never been horribly impressed with the quality of the JBA system (the ceramic is flaking off already) and the Kooks looks top notch, but we're talking $3k ($1400 for the headers (w/ ceramic coating) $1200 for the h-pipe, + tax) not even counting installation. Or roughly $800 for just the cats plus a couple hundred for labor.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
If you have no cats on the car, then the rear O2s are turned off for sure. If they were on, you would get a CEL with P420/P430, catalyst efficiency codes. And there are other items turned off emission's related. These cars have 8 emission monitors.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
If you have no cats on the car, then the rear O2s are turned off for sure. If they were on, you would get a CEL with P420/P430, catalyst efficiency codes. And there are other items turned off emission's related. These cars have 8 emission monitors.

I have Hi flow cats that came on the JBA catted H-pipe. Funny thing is when I data log w/ Forscan or Torque, I get readings off all 4 sensors, but there must be some way of hiding that from the emissions monitors to "turn" them off

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, there is a setting, well, actually it is in 2 places in the SCT software. The default value is 183, and that keeps all 8 monitors. SCT's recommended setting is 18. That gives me only 3 monitors with the rest as "not available". Not sure what number gives 5 monitors, but I had a tune like that for a while with only 5 monitors.
This is the easiest way in the tune to keep from getting a check engine light for whatever reason. Monitor doesn't run, no failure will be found, no check engine light comes on. ;)

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks :waytogo: I'll check w/ my shop to see what they've got in the tune right now.

Even if I can get the car to pass the emissions check this year and at least get my registration renewed I think I'm going to keep looking into getting the car to actually be emissions compliant. VA's getting stricter every year and I wouldn't be surprised if they start looking for specific tests, like the O2 to pass. Might as well get it so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks :waytogo: I'll check w/ my shop to see what they've got in the tune right now.

Even if I can get the car to pass the emissions check this year and at least get my registration renewed I think I'm going to keep looking into getting the car to actually be emissions compliant. VA's getting stricter every year and I wouldn't be surprised if they start looking for specific tests, like the O2 to pass. Might as well get it so I don't have to worry about it anymore.
That is why I did my build 99% factory stock parts. PA is tough on emissions, and I know it is closely monitored by the state. I used to have my PA emission license.
I do have aftermarket cats, but they are there and pass the visual part.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
That is why I did my build 99% factory stock parts. PA is tough on emissions, and I know it is closely monitored by the state. I used to have my PA emission license.
I do have aftermarket cats, but they are there and pass the visual part.
I'm also in PA, Pittsburgh to be exact. The reason I stopped running cat deletes is PA is indeed tough on emissions and despite the fact my car meets the PA state emission exemption requirements, the vehicle can still fail the visual part. So rather than take the risk of failing visual inspection, I reinstalled the "OEM" cats and spliced in the Pypes cut n clamp X mid pipe. Anyhow, I've thought about upgrading to aftermarket cats, but from my understanding, high-flow cats won't pass the OBDII emissions test. Therefore out of curiosity what steps do you take in order to get your aftermarket cats to pass the OBDII emissions test :shrug:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I'm also in PA, Pittsburgh to be exact. The reason I stopped running cat deletes is PA is indeed tough on emissions and despite the fact my car meets the PA state emission exemption requirements, the vehicle can still fail the visual part. So rather than take the risk of failing visual inspection, I reinstalled the "OEM" cats and spliced in the Pypes cut n clamp X mid pipe. Anyhow, I've thought about upgrading to aftermarket cats, but from my understanding, high-flow cats won't pass the OBDII emissions test. Therefore out of curiosity what steps do you take in order to get your aftermarket cats to pass the OBDII emissions test :shrug:
50 state legal AM cats "should" pass the pcm obd tests.
I am exempt, as I drive less than 5k. But I may exceed that some years.
At this point, I have 7 monitors complete, 1 incomplete. And that is a PASS on the plug in scan, and I pass the visual with my Magnaflow cats. ;)

1 Alibi 2

If not today, when ??????
Reaction score
I had Kooks high flow cats on my 11, they threw codes, tuner turned the 02's off, ( that was 9 years ago ). When I had to go to inspection, ( N.J. ) Kooks " green " cats got me through with no issues.
.........Info I came across while trying to reset my monitors:

Some things to consider, - cold starts matter more than miles driven, some monitors can't reset till after others reset before them. One posting suggested 1/4 tank or less of gas. It's a PIA, but you'll get through it,.............good luck..

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I had Kooks high flow cats on my 11, they threw codes, tuner turned the 02's off, ( that was 9 years ago ). When I had to go to inspection, ( N.J. ) Kooks " green " cats got me through with no issues.

Some things to consider, - cold starts matter more than miles driven, some monitors can't reset till after others reset before them. One posting suggested 1/4 tank or less of gas. It's a PIA, but you'll get through it,.............good luck..
1/4 tank of gas or less will keep the Evap monitor from running, and only the Evap monitor.
On my 2013, the Catalyst and O2 monitors will NOT run until the Evap monitor completes.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
50 state legal AM cats "should" pass the pcm obd tests.
I am exempt, as I drive less than 5k. But I may exceed that some years.
At this point, I have 7 monitors complete, 1 incomplete. And that is a PASS on the plug in scan, and I pass the visual with my Magnaflow cats. ;)
Would you mind posting an image and part # for the Magnaflow cats your running? Are they also safe to run with a S/C application or would the substrate material need to be metallic as opposed to ceramic :shrug:Like yourself, I also drive less than 5k per year and exempt but also concerned I may exceed that some years over others as well. Anyhow for what it's worth, I'd be very interested in considering the Magnaflows as a possible alternative to the stock cats ;)

Last edited:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
My magnaflow cats are not carb compliant.
Yes, I get P420/P430 codes with them.
I was not aware at the time of purchase, as my tumer had turned all that OBD 2 stuff OFF. I found all this out after I got SCT PRP and turned the emission stuff back on.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Are you still getting the P420/P430 codes or did you have your tuner disable some of the OBDII monitors in order to pass?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Are you still getting the P420/P430 codes or did you have your tuner disable some of the OBDII monitors in order to pass?
I am still exempt so it is not an issue.
You cannot just disable obd related items. Ford got pretty smart with dealing with tampering with the program. If I try to disable catalyst monitor, the car will never get "ready for testing". Monitors will either remain incomplete OR, it throws the codes anyway and you get a.check engine light.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Not to be a d!ck or anything like that, I will not be able to tell you how to beat the smog test. Here is why:

As far as SCT tuning goes, NOTHING has changed in the software itself. They did not remove any fetures or access to certain items.
What has changed is SCT put the burden on the end user. I had to sign an EULA and take a 20 minute online emission course and pass a quiz at the end.
This releases SCT from the emission modification reliability and places it on the guy at the keyboard.
I can answer questions but will not provide any info on how to make your car pass smog. This is why tuners refuse to turn stuff off in the tune.
Sorry, I hope you can understand.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I am still exempt so it is not an issue.
You cannot just disable obd related items. Ford got pretty smart with dealing with tampering with the program. If I try to disable catalyst monitor, the car will never get "ready for testing". Monitors will either remain incomplete OR, it throws the codes anyway and you get a.check engine light.

Not to be a d!ck or anything like that, I will not be able to tell you how to beat the smog test. Here is why:

As far as SCT tuning goes, NOTHING has changed in the software itself. They did not remove any fetures or access to certain items.
What has changed is SCT put the burden on the end user. I had to sign an EULA and take a 20 minute online emission course and pass a quiz at the end.
This releases SCT from the emission modification reliability and places it on the guy at the keyboard.
I can answer questions but will not provide any info on how to make your car pass smog. This is why tuners refuse to turn stuff off in the tune.
Sorry, I hope you can understand.

I completely understand your position, therefore no offense taken whatsoever. Being as SCT has put the burden on the end user as you mentioned, it's not even worth going through the hassle thanks to the EPA cracking down on aftermarket tuners in regards to enforcing stricter emission regulation policies. Despite having a 2006 GT model which has the older catalyst monitors, it's just as you said, the tuners hands are now tied by the EPA and appear to have no other choice but to refuse turning off catalyst monitors in their aftermarket tunes. Therefore until the time comes for when the "OEM" cats must be replaced, I'll just leave well enough alone by keeping the stock cats in place. That being said, thanks for taking the time to clarify and put things in proper perspective :waytogo:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
There is some wiggle room here, the EPA understands that there are special circumstances that require tuning to actually make the vehicle emission compliant. CARB certified parts are legal to use on public highways. It is not illegal to hotrod within the law. They know that. SCT I do believe is EPA certified because of this.

And if I would have read the fine print on my cats, I would have kept shopping! lol
I also have my 'race only' tune ready for the next track day. It is more about turning off the "safety features" then disabeling emissions stuff. There is really no extra power by turning stuf off. Its the cat temp protection, and similiar items that cut power to save the engine.

Last edited:

cavero

forum member
Reaction score

That's my understanding for most aftermarket cats too, which is why I'm looking into Kooks green cats. They're EPA certified so they should pass emissions

That manual says compression ignition, wondering if that manual is for diesels or if it's just a general one for all vehicles :dunno:

It'll top off the tank and keep driving it (evap hadn't completed on my test drive yet), but I think I'm going to need EPA certified cats. Wish I'd known about all this when I did the long tubes & catt'ed H-pipe, I would've bought the emissions legal ones the first time.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I use cat sims and have always passed obd testing. I first made my own electronic cat sims and wired them in for a couple years till they stopped working. Now I use big daddy’s cat sims with a 90* elbow. I have always passed smog. Right now I’m chasing a lean code but cats have never been an issue.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
There is some wiggle room here, the EPA understands that there are special circumstances that require tuning to actually make the vehicle emission compliant. CARB certified parts are legal to use on public highways. It is not illegal to hotrod within the law. They know that. SCT I do believe is EPA certified because of this.

And if I would have read the fine print on my cats, I would have kept shopping! lol
I also have my 'race only' tune ready for the next track day. It is more about turning off the "safety features" then disabeling emissions stuff. There is really no extra power by turning stuf off. Its the cat temp protection, and similiar items that cut power to save the engine.

Totally agree where your coming from. However there is a difference between "OEM" direct replacement parts which are CARB certified over certain aftermarket parts which are not considered as CARB certified/50 state legal. Although Kooks claims their "Green Cats" are EPA certified, doesn't necessarily mean they meet federal emission requirements nor does Kooks mention anything in their description about being 50 state legal. Therefore I'am not convinced they will pass all OBDII emissions testing.

That's my understanding for most aftermarket cats too, which is why I'm looking into Kooks green cats. They're EPA certified so they should pass emissions

That manual says compression ignition, wondering if that manual is for diesels or if it's just a general one for all vehicles :dunno:

It'll top off the tank and keep driving it (evap hadn't completed on my test drive yet), but I think I'm going to need EPA certified cats. Wish I'd known about all this when I did the long tubes & catt'ed H-pipe, I would've bought the emissions legal ones the first time.

Until Kooks can document their "Green Cats" meet federal emission requirements and are 50 state legal/CARB certified, it's all just a bunch of marketing hype claims. That being said, EPA certified and 50 state legal/CARB certified are not one in the same.

I use cat sims and have always passed obd testing. I first made my own electronic cat sims and wired them in for a couple years till they stopped working. Now I use big daddy’s cat sims with a 90* elbow. I have always passed smog. Right now I’m chasing a lean code but cats have never been an issue.
I recall reading some of your previous posts about the Big Daddy's Garage "mini cat sims" which function similar to spark plug non-foulers. If they indeed pass OBDII emission testing as they seem to have from your experience, I may consider these when the time finally comes for having to replace the "OEM" cats :shrug:

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back