Need a new clutch- what else do I need

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
also its a good idea to replace the pressure plate bolts & flywheel bolts & pilot bearing. part numbers:
1R3Z6375EA - Flywheel
F6ZZ6379AA - Bolt (6)
N808969S100 - Bolt (6)
4r3Z7a508AA - Slave Cylinder
F6ZZ7600A Pilot Bearing

How crucial is it to get these parts with 30k miles on the clock? I have the CF/DF, Fidanza aluminum f/w, and new OEM slave cylinder sitting here, but no new bolts or a new pilot bearing.

Royb

forum member
Reaction score
How crucial is it to get these parts with 30k miles on the clock? I have the CF/DF, Fidanza aluminum f/w, and new OEM slave cylinder sitting here, but no new bolts or a new pilot bearing.

well depends on your tolerance for things. The reason your supposed to replace the bolts is a design - they are made to go in once & lock and when they are removed a small part of the bolt thread gets knocked down thus the reason the shop manual calling for new bolts. I didn't replace mine the first couple of times & used red locktite (factory replacements come with threadlocker already on) . I think the most important thing is the torque sequence and torque lbs. The bolts & pilot bearing are really good insurance.

I've got 36k & the oem slave is wore out - it wont fully engage under throttle so as long as I'm there I might as well change the disc,pressure plate & flywheel - I'm looking for stock pedal pressure, no noise, no chatter this time.

fordracing

12.84@108 1.89 60' N/A
Reaction score
Hey guys
Does anyone make a trans shield for our cars? or a transmission blanket? I'm getting ready to put a clutch in mine this winter as well and would like the added saftey of a shield incase the pressure plate comes apart.

rog06gt

Mash it!!!
Reaction score
I plan to put a new clutch in the car this winter, and want to begin researching them now. Looking at Centerforce, Spec, or Fidanza; likely the Centerforce unit with factory flywheel.

What else should I be looking at? New slave cylinder? Are there any specifics that I need to know before I purchase a clutch? I mean, will any '05+ clutch work with my trans?

Thanks.
Tom, I have the Centerforce DF and had the original flywheel resurfaced, it was in excellent shape...
If I was to do it again I would go with a Spec 2+ or 3+ low pressure option.
I'm not happy with my Centerforce, it is noisy, it will occasionally slip in 2nd gear (Twin screw torque) I tried to install a 1 piece driveshaft (alu) and I had some vibrations, one of the main source of vibration is the Centerforce clutch assy, ie; only at very high rpm under high load...

I don't think a new slave cylinder is required unless yours is very noisy.
Also get new flywheels bolts, torque them to Ford spec, you will have to do some search on those...
Cheers

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Go ahead and get a new pilot bearing. They are cheap ~$20 and a lot of times they get damaged during the swap. I just had a Spec 2+ installed and changed everything, clutch, flywheel, slave, bolts, and pilot bearing. I would hate to have to go back in to replace something inexpensive. I only had 15K on my car at the time.

Randy

Last edited:

tom281

Warp Rider
Reaction score
Tom, I have the Centerforce DF and had the original flywheel resurfaced, it was in excellent shape...
If I was to do it again I would go with a Spec 2+ or 3+ low pressure option.
I'm not happy with my Centerforce, it is noisy, it will occasionally slip in 2nd gear (Twin screw torque) I tried to install a 1 piece driveshaft (alu) and I had some vibrations, one of the main source of vibration is the Centerforce clutch assy, ie; only at very high rpm under high load...

I don't think a new slave cylinder is required unless yours is very noisy.
Also get new flywheels bolts, torque them to Ford spec, you will have to do some search on those...
Cheers

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I'm starting to lean towards a Spec clutch since that's what a local shop uses.

Clay

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
rog06gt that is strange, I have absolutely zero noise or chatter or slip with my Centerforce DF. Most other people don't experience those issues (from what I've read).

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Go ahead and get a new pilot bearing. They are cheap ~$20 and a lot of times they get damaged during the swap. I just had a Spec 2+ installed and changed everything, clutch, flywheel, slave, bolts, and pilot bearing. I would hate to have to go back in to replace something inexpensive. I only had 15K on my car at the time.

Randy

That's a good point. Now to find where to get them. Much appreciated.

rog06gt

Mash it!!!
Reaction score
rog06gt that is strange, I have absolutely zero noise or chatter or slip with my Centerforce DF. Most other people don't experience those issues (from what I've read).
Hi Clay, Yes it does seem strange but it is the honest truth, it is rather noisy (more than expected) and inconsistent in noise.
The slipping is occasional, if the car (warm tires) does not have enough momentum (speed) while I shift 2nd and floor it (at approx 4000 rpm), either the tires will bark on a smooth asphalt or the clutch will slip for 700-800 rpm on grippy asphalt until the clutch rpm catches up the engine rpm...
I should have listen to my installer, he wasn't keen on my choice based on his previous experiences...
***I think Thumprrr has experienced it doing a burn out...
***18" tires and relocation bracket helps a lot, on my 20" 2nd would just spin to oblivion...
*** I don't think that N/A or Centri would be a problem...
Cheers

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back