Need Audio Help

06Stang

Saleen Supercharged
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm gettin kinda tired of the stock audio on my car but I know absolutely nothing about car audio. I have an Alpine touch screen deck replacing my Shaker500. I just want to upgrade the speakers/subs for better sound. What can I get and do I need to do an amp or something?

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
you should be fine with any set of speakers you get. it really comes down to how much you want to spend. im pretty sure that the stockers are all 6x8. 2 on the door, 2 in the rear deck. you wont need an amp for the interiors, unless of course you really want to start pushing it. and a single 12" sub in a sealed box with a 3-400 watt 1 channel amp would be ideal for the bass if you wanted it

benvaldi88

forum member
Reaction score
I use to do car audio installs all through out high school and a little into college.. what kind of sound do you want? Loud bass or something that sounds good? also what type of music you listen to plays into what type of speakers ur looking for

06Stang

Saleen Supercharged
Reaction score
I listen to mostly rock. I just want clear loud good audio. I love the stock bass I dont want a sub box or anything. Basically just sound the same as stock but clearer and crisper and better at louder volumes and maybe a bit more bass.

Kinda confusing.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not confusing at all. It's just like modding the car.

Figure out what you want out of the car. In this case, you want better sound for mostly rock music. Lot more mids and highs and less bass. I'd start off simple and replace the door and rear package tray speakers. They don't have to be crazy expensive; I got 4 Pioneer 3-way speakers for $120 and they sounded fantastic.

That's the simplest solution for what you are looking for. At the sake of someone writing a novel on car audio on here, I recommend going to crutchfield.com and doing some reading there. They have solid info and it's very well laid out for those who want to learn.

06Stang

Saleen Supercharged
Reaction score
Yeah looking for something like just replacing the door speakers and rear deck speakers and maybe the door subs. I dont want an amp or a sub box or anything. I'm not gonna be bumpin 2pac and leanin back and shit. Just some loud clear sound and some good bass.

06Stang

Saleen Supercharged
Reaction score
Oh and thanks a lot for all the quick replies and all the help everyone. I know its been discussed before.

Drex

forum member
Reaction score
Already stated, depends on how much money you want to spend. I replaced
My door and rear 6x8"s with Boston Acoustics and it made quite a difference.

06Stang

Saleen Supercharged
Reaction score
I dont want to spend a lot really. Not a huge audio guy. Rather throw more at performance. Something mid range maybe? I'm guessing I cant go too high range without the amp or anything.

Drex

forum member
Reaction score
06Stang said:
I dont want to spend a lot really. Not a huge audio guy. Rather throw more at performance. Something mid range maybe? I'm guessing I cant go too high range without the amp or anything.

Me too. I spent $120 per pair and installed myself. The mods and highs are greatly improved. Go through Crutchfield since they supply the wiring adapters. Those alleviate a big PITA step.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
2 Rockford Fosgate P1S48 subs - $120
Rockford Fosgate P400.2 amp - $150-$200 (depending where you shop)
Pioneer TS-A6872R 3-way speakers - ~$50-$75/pr (depending where you shop)

Now I just personally like RF and Pioneer stuff. There are other brands available; some more expensive, some less expensive. But I don't think that's bad way to spend $375-$500. This stuff is in my car as well; I don't recommend equipment that I wouldn't use.

Last edited:

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They pretty much have it summed up in a nutshell , as bigwilly said they have tons of products that are good for the money it kinda just comes down to personal preference . Me personally I like kicker and have had real good luck with them ....... BTW kicker makes a " free air " sub to replace the 8" door subs and FWIW IF you do decide you want to do a small sub (1 -10"/12" ) in the trunk go with a sealed box over a ported box the sealed will give you a " cleaner & crisper " hit as where the ported is more suited for deep bass and rap music . It's been a bit since I really dicked with audio shit but still know a few things .....I think lol

jroc07gt

its orange not yellow!!
Reaction score
just go ahead and install the headunit first. i got a feeling the alpine will have better sound than the stocker. you will be amazed how much just a headunit change will make.

06Stang

Saleen Supercharged
Reaction score
Headunit is installed. Sounds good but I think it could sound a lot better. Not quite happy with it as it is. I even did the bypass so I can watch DVDs as I drive. It's been over a year with the headunit and I've never watched a DVD on it...but its nice to know I can if I wanted to.

benvaldi88

forum member
Reaction score
Boston acoustics sounds good and i've had infiniti kappas before and those really sound good for rock music

adamstang

forum member
Reaction score
i used to be an installer for a car audio plce locally, i got to hear all sorts of speakers and my favorite were the infinity kappas or the infinity refrences. and ill 4 speakers are 5x7s. and the shaker comes with the 2 mids (8s) in the doors as well. i disconnected mine and put the infinity kappas all the way around and some infinity perfect 10s in the trunk and it sounds perfect. i also have the kenwood8120. never heard anything better!

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score
ive installed a shit load of audio and worked for the top audio installation store in south africa and ive come to this conclusion of best speakers per cost: 1) Rockford Fosgate, best quality at an "affordable" rate 2) Infinity, a little expensive but close to rockford in SQ 3) Kicker. although kicker is my third choice, i personally think its YOUR best option. mainly because of its cost. A low range RF costs the same as middle of the range kicker, but the kicker will outperform.

If you dont have shaker audio, i would suggest replacing your 6x8's with some kicker co-axial, or if you want to put some effort in, get a 6x8 component set and mount the tweeters. (not too sure if kicker has 6x8 component sets tho). Wire the speakers directly to the head unit and use crossovers, or the built in one in the HU.
Easy install, no extra amps, plenty of good sound. speaker baffles will complete your install and are essential for clear sound reproduction.

06Stang

Saleen Supercharged
Reaction score
$1400 for the Shelby upgrade? No thanks. I was looking to spend less than $200.

I was looking on crutchfield and onlinecarstereo.com and I couldnt figure out which ones to go with that fit my car. Did the car fit guide and it showed the ones that'll fit. None in Kicker or RF for the front speakers unless I was dropping $200 on just the fronts.

Back