Help with my Audio ideas

XJCasper

forum member
Reaction score
2005 Mustang GT

After the stereo thread with pass1over, started raising new questions for my plan. Stuff I wanted is out of stock. Plus I have stuff from old projects. I want your 2 cents.

What I have:
Factory spots: 4 Kicker KSC68
Amps: JL 500/1
Sub: Kicker 12" CompR
Was gonna disconnect the factory 8"s

The JL amp cover is beat and too large to hide in the car. The mini Fosgate amp looks too
neat to hide. I am OCD about matching companies and components when it comes to stereo.
I have been looking at picking up new amps from Skar Audio and selling the JL. They are cheap. Have not found negative reviews yet. YouTube reviews say: yes they are cheap, but you get what they promise.

The debate:
Install 6 1/2 midwoofers or 2-way speakers in the factory 8" locations. What do y'all think?

Sell the JL and pick up 2 of these 3 amps Skar amps to be displayed in the back:
https://www.skaraudio.com/products/rp-75-4ab-car-amplifier

https://www.skaraudio.com/products/rp-800-1d-car-amplifier
OR
https://www.skaraudio.com/products/rp-1200-1d-car-amplifier

What do y'all think?

Thank you
Jason

Huberoy123

Reaction score
I installed 6.5 speakers in the factory 8 locations. I highly recommend doing that. I installed 2, 12 inch subs in the trunk. Don't know much about the skar brand, but they are gaining popularity.

XJCasper

forum member
Reaction score
I installed 6.5 speakers in the factory 8 locations. I highly recommend doing that. I installed 2, 12 inch subs in the trunk. Don't know much about the skar brand, but they are gaining popularity.
Did you build or buy a spacer for the fitment?

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I have read a lot of people that replace the door subs with a 6.5 mid range speaker instead and put subs in the trunk. They all seem very pleased with the setup.
I am usually OCD about stuff like that, but I ended up with stuff from everyone! LoL The amp was free (Kenwood), the subs were the best depth/price (Kicker), and the 5x8's were about same spec as other 2 top brands, but about $25 cheaper (Rockford)

I just don't see what the issue is with subs in the doors? I'd rather not have my subs in the trunk. They're further away, take up valuable storage space and those boxes are super heavy.

Huberoy123

Reaction score
Did you build or buy a spacer for the fitment?
I used DIY adapters I built, using plastic cutting boards. Made templates from cardboard and cut the plastic. Mounted the speakers and screwed the adapter in. I was able to reassemble the factory cover. Got the idea from a post on allfordmustangs.com. it may still be there.

Huberoy123

Reaction score
I have read a lot of people that replace the door subs with a 6.5 mid range speaker instead and put subs in the trunk. They all seem very pleased with the setup.
I am usually OCD about stuff like that, but I ended up with stuff from everyone! LoL The amp was free (Kenwood), the subs were the best depth/price (Kicker), and the 5x8's were about same spec as other 2 top brands, but about $25 cheaper (Rockford)

I just don't see what the issue is with subs in the doors? I'd rather not have my subs in the trunk. They're further away, take up valuable storage space and those boxes are super heavy.

I was also reluctant to put subs in the trunk because of the loss of space. However, it wasn't an issue because the rear seats fold down. I carry a pad to cover the area, and there is a lot of space for occasional use. I love the sound of the subs in the trunk. Never could wrap my head around the idea of the subs in the doors. The boom, boom was missing. The 6.5 are better in my opinion.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
The boom, boom was missing. The 6.5 are better in my opinion.

The boom boom is missing because the stock subs/amp SUCK. I was blown away at the difference in a pair of properly powered, real 8" subwoofers. There is way more boom boom in my car now than there ever was.

I would rather be immersed in my sound (speakers around me) than having half of my sound coming from 4 feet behind me. I built a sub box for my '03 F550 crew cab, goes behind the back seat, passenger side. It's so weird having all the bass come from way back there, I much prefer it up close.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Okay, ill be the first to say it. Fuck SKAR audio. If you want the real products buy Sundown. SKAR is a cheap copy and cant come up with anything themselves.

Huberoy123

Reaction score
The boom boom is missing because the stock subs/amp SUCK. I was blown away at the difference in a pair of properly powered, real 8" subwoofers. There is way more boom boom in my car now than there ever was.

I would rather be immersed in my sound (speakers around me) than having half of my sound coming from 4 feet behind me. I built a sub box for my '03 F550 crew cab, goes behind the back seat, passenger side. It's so weird having all the bass come from way back there, I much prefer it up close.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back