need help! are 2012 and 2013 mustang brakes the same?

martin_nj

czesc!
Reaction score
so i need new calipers on my 2013 base gt model and my gf has a 2012 gt premium model

here are the caliper pics >

CfPzvh.jpg

oS2yth.jpg

at first glance they look different, but keeping in mind that i'm taking pics of drivers and passengers i think the part numbers are similar enough that it should work?

visually the caliper looks identical to me from the outside....

thoughts?

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
i dont see any reason why they would be different...considering that almost every part between the 2 years is swap-able

martin_nj

czesc!
Reaction score
that is an awesome deal weather_man, thanks for the link.

unfort my GF needs her car back so I don't want to wait until next thurs for shipping =\

NAPA has them for 65 each + the cores guess i'm stuck with that route

martin_nj

czesc!
Reaction score
just to follow up - I did go with the rousch take offs and they fit fine on the '13

so yes '13 and '12 brakes are the same shit

why ford would stamp a diff part number on them is beyond me

martin_nj

czesc!
Reaction score
that is the only thing that makes sense..

still though if i were ford i would cross reference the shit out of those part numbers to make my techs and dealer's lives easy

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
you track the car and you bought the base brakes? they're barely adequate for street driving, imho. Even the Brembos need a line, fluid and pad upgrade for track duty.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
you track the car and you bought the base brakes? they're barely adequate for street driving, imho. Even the Brembos need a line, fluid and pad upgrade for track duty.
Agreed. I have a 2011 GT with the 14" front Brembos and a 2013 GT with the base 13.2" brakes. WOW. Big difference... huge. I tracked the '13 once.... once.

If you track your car hard I would budget some $ for a Brembo upgrade. Get a set of take-offs from an '11-up GT or GT500 that is "upgrade" to a BBK. I have seen these sell for $600-1000 (like this one on eBay). Worth every penny.

And then do like 5lho said - add better lines, pads, and fluid. And possibly even brake ducting up front.

Good luck,

martin_nj

czesc!
Reaction score
thanks all for the input!

the 14" kit will require different wheels and sadly the budget just isn't there for all that

my current setup is >

new calipers from a '12 are in
new rotors
raybestos st43 pads
SS lines
brake duct kit
1mm ti shim

this is just the front i'm talking about i haven't looked at the rear really and am assuming it will be fine

i dont have any more track days setup this year but i'll be sure to log how well these perform next year!

also i will HOPEFULLY be running on slicks but again, that damn budget keeps sticking its ugly head up hehe

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back