Need help identifying a noise (video inside)

xkape

forum member
Reaction score
This just started today. But, it's very annoying and gets louder when turning. Figuring a belt but, I've never heard a belt make this noise so...

You can definitely hear it in the video but, in person it sounds like someone is using a dremel in the distance.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bjEaRkCcuw8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/bjEaRkCcuw8

killr3v

Hector G.
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad pulley. Put a long screw driver or a pry bar up to each pulley so you can listen

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
99% sure it's a rotaing component. Take the belt off and start it to make sure. There should be no noise with the belt off.

How is the fluid level in your supercharger?

xkape

forum member
Reaction score
99% sure it's a rotaing component. Take the belt off and start it to make sure. There should be no noise with the belt off.

How is the fluid level in your supercharger?

could be low.. I just put all that aluminum tanks in there the last few days. Had to use a turkey baster to pull the liquid out and then put it back in after the install. Didn't lose a whole lot of coolant but ...... wow.. glad you guys make me think of different things!! I did lose quite a bit of power steering fluid. Didn't think it was enough to matter.. maybe it was?

Went to O'Reillys as well.... car refused to make the noise for the guy. As soon as I leave.. it did it again... all the way home. I did show him the video though and he was questioning the alternator?

Last edited:

chandlern

forum member
Reaction score
If it gets louder when you turn and you lost 'quite a bit of power steering fluid' have you checked and rechecked the ps fluid level? Had a similar noise in my 05' sounded like the blower was low on oil, turns out the ps pump was toast.

chandlern

forum member
Reaction score
Good place to start....then follow the advice of others above. Noise wasn't there before changing tanks, correct? You lost a bit of ps fluid in the change and now you have the mystery noise? Does it only make the noise when the motor is cold?

Edit - the blower will take a specific oil, atleast my whipple does, don't just top it off with whatever is laying around follow the maker's instructions. Kind of a non issue because the tank change should not affect its oil level....

Last edited:

xkape

forum member
Reaction score
just got back from O Reillys... freaking PS fluid :facepalm:

Put it in there and nothing.. whole way home.. nothing.

chandlern... to answer that questino though... it only did it when warmed up

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back