Need some Lincoln Navigator Tech help

Grabber07'

The flying cheeto
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Question guys.... My brothers 2003 lincoln navigators headlight went out... it says HID on the back... D1RHID bulb Part # 66052. Need to replace it...Ford is trying to charge $670. Another Ford parts center said it may be the ballast...which is $280. Anyone know where he can get a replacement headlight low beam D1RHID bulb replacement. Its the lowbeam thats out, other than taking out a loan to do it? and how much are we looking at? That is just way too much money for a dang headlight IMO. We are currently searching salvages, but havent found anything as of yet.

Ford will not just sell the bulb, they say you have to buy the complete assymbly including low, high, and side marker..its the whole glass assymbly. Dont know why this is...anyone know?

EDIT..when my brother turns the key to the on position (without starting) the headlight works half the time, but as soon as the car is turned on the headlight goes dead. It seems that the bulb isnt all the way burnt out...due to it working partially...anyone have any ideas?

Grabber07'

The flying cheeto
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So no one has any ideas.... hehe I know its not a mustang...but I thought maybe at least one of us had owned a navigator at one point. Ill be patient and see if a closet navi driver will show his or her face and show some light to this problem
:popcorneat::victory:

travelers

Reaction score
I would check the voltage to see whats going on. And look at a wiring diagram to see if it gets it voltage form the same sourse when its started. You could also disconned the head lite start it then plug it back in and see if it comes on like it does without starting good luck

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
With it working and the car not started sound like a ballast issue to me. When the car is off, the voltage to the ballast is low. However when you start the car, the voltage comes up a couple of volts and the headlight doesn't work.

The ballast's job is to deliver a pop of high voltage to the bulb to ignite it and then steady state voltage keeps it going.

There may be an inverter involved here as well since most gas discharge tubes run on A/C voltage in steady state mode (like neon signs and fluorscent lights).

Check fuses and relays as well.

Hope this helps.

Grabber07'

The flying cheeto
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys... I think we will check the voltage this evening... also not sure if this is going to do any good, but we are going to switch the headlights tonight to see if that changes anything. Might confirm the ballast as the culprit

Grabber07'

The flying cheeto
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well my Brother took the headlight that wasnt working and put it on the working side and it works just fine... so it must be the ballast I presume... only problem now is he found one ballast on the working side... he just cant find the ballasts location on the side thats not working... anyone know the location.

Good find on the bulbs thump! but it looks like the bulps fine..its just not getting powered correctly I guess

Last edited:

Grabber07'

The flying cheeto
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tried cleaning the ballast with cleaner per another members request. Same problem on startup low beam does not turn on. But while the car is started if we turn the headlights off and back on both lights come on perfectly, but if we turn the car off and then back on light goes back off. Just want to confirm this is the ballast before dropping the cash on it. Does this sound like a ballast to you guys?

Grabber07'

The flying cheeto
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tried starting the car again and this time the drivers side turned on, but the passenger side did not (this has not happed before, the drivers side is the one thats been out this whole time). So this is making me think its something else besides the ballast. Any thoughts?

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
find a wiring diagram or use the owners manual and check all the relays feeding the HID ballasts.

travelers

Reaction score
You might try and run a new ground wire to the base of the ballast. It might be loosing its ground.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back