Need Tire help

Visuvious

forum member
Reaction score
Okay My car is currently at the shop having some work done to it. When I get it back I should be around 500rwhp. Right now I am running 20x8.5 wheels with 255 rear and 245 front. I just ordered a pair of 20x10 for the car and they should be here next week. I called discount tire and a couple of other places and no one has the Nitto I want. Everything is back ordered and nobody knows when they will come in. I was looking to get some 555r's 305/35r20 because I need some meat back there. Since there is such a wait the guy gave me a couple of options and even offered to knock some money off because I couldn't get what I wanted right away.

the other two choices he gave me were

Pirelli PZero Nero 305/30ZR20 or

Nitto Invo 295/35ZR20

Any thoughts on this would be great :)

Meikol02

Reaction score
Depends on your speed.

I replaced my PZero Rossos (275/40ZR20) with that size Invo. On the street, the Invo grip at launch much better, but track the grooves in the road more and float at high speeds. Huge difference at 150+ but most people don't go that fast. The Invos are better in the rain too.

There are also 2 different Invo compounds, but thy don't tell you that (most probably don't know/care) one has a 200 treadwear and a lower speed rating, the other a 220 rating. I expect the softer compound is the reason for the floating at high speed.

I like to run the Texas Mile, so I care about the higher speed and will probably try another brand next.

Visuvious

forum member
Reaction score
Depends on your speed.

I replaced my PZero Rossos (275/40ZR20) with that size Invo. On the street, the Invo grip at launch much better, but track the grooves in the road more and float at high speeds. Huge difference at 150+ but most people don't go that fast. The Invos are better in the rain too.

There are also 2 different Invo compounds, but thy don't tell you that (most probably don't know/care) one has a 200 treadwear and a lower speed rating, the other a 220 rating. I expect the softer compound is the reason for the floating at high speed.

I like to run the Texas Mile, so I care about the higher speed and will probably try another brand next.

I don't see myself going over 150+ the fastest I will probably get it is just in the 1/4 and it wont be that fast. Do you think the 220 compound would be better for my application?

Meikol02

Reaction score
You will probably have the same issue I had, and that is supply. Really, I doubt there is that much difference. The lower the rating the stickier they should be, but probably not worth worrying about at 1/4 mile speeds. The difference in the speed rating is like 20 MPH on the top end.

I understand the NT05R tires are great with a 0 treadwear rating as long as you never drive in the rain.

Visuvious

forum member
Reaction score
Good info thanks :) we don't get to much rain here but it does happen. I'm running Michelin Pilots now. Would it be a good idea to just change all 4 tires out? Or just put what I need on the rear?

Meikol02

Reaction score
Funny I was thinking of trying the Pilots II's next.

Since you are going staggered anyway, as long as the front's are good, I say just change the rear. I have had three sets of rear tires and one set of fronts. FWIW, most of the guys that run DR's do so only on the rear.

I keep expecting to see a post that says "He...I mean I don't need any new tires"

joebazan

forum member
Reaction score
I just recently added a supercharger and running the Nitto Invo's (255/35/20 fronts & 295/35/20 rears) and not real impressed at launch. Severe tire spin thru 1st and 2nd gears and not really even nailing the pedal either. I plan on trying the Nitto 555R's this summer, sounds like I better order them now??? Running 20's severely limits our choices, I heard the Mickey Thompsons may have a 20" Drag/Street Radial coming out this Spring due to high demand, and my tuner told me the MT's blow the Nittos away FWIW... but the Invo's do ride really nice and quiet when I'm not driving like a fool :thumb:

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Tirerack.com has the BFG KDW II in a 295/45/20 and various other sizes in 20". I don't know how well the tire launches at the track though. I've got 255/35/19 in front and 275/35/19 out back. I plan to find out how well they launch this summer, but I've heard others say that it's terrific in the rain as well as gives good traction during the summer. It has a tread wear rating of 300. I plan on doing some autox as well as hitting the 1/8 track this summer.

Visuvious

forum member
Reaction score
I just recently added a supercharger and running the Nitto Invo's (255/35/20 fronts & 295/35/20 rears) and not real impressed at launch. Severe tire spin thru 1st and 2nd gears and not really even nailing the pedal either. I plan on trying the Nitto 555R's this summer, sounds like I better order them now??? Running 20's severely limits our choices, I heard the Mickey Thompsons may have a 20" Drag/Street Radial coming out this Spring due to high demand, and my tuner told me the MT's blow the Nittos away FWIW... but the Invo's do ride really nice and quiet when I'm not driving like a fool :thumb:

I called MT yesterday and they couldn't really tell me much. He did however tell me the new DR would start shipping in April!

Visuvious

forum member
Reaction score
Tirerack.com has the BFG KDW II in a 295/45/20 and various other sizes in 20". I don't know how well the tire launches at the track though. I've got 255/35/19 in front and 275/35/19 out back. I plan to find out how well they launch this summer, but I've heard others say that it's terrific in the rain as well as gives good traction during the summer. It has a tread wear rating of 300. I plan on doing some autox as well as hitting the 1/8 track this summer.

I definitely plan on hitting the strip also and wanted a good tire. I called summit and talked to them about the Nitto 555r. Supposedly they are getting some in stock on the 10th of March. I placed an order and they won't charge the card until they come in. So it is a waiting game to see if it really happens. I looked into the KDW and it looks like a good tire but they don't have the 305. Hopefully I will figure something out by next week. My wheels showed up today and car should be done by next Saturday. Fingers crossed!!!!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back