New guy rear axle/ suspension rebuild.

travelers

Reaction score
Do you have another set of mufflers? I would pull the ones installed while there hot and shake them and see if any baffles are lose. I would also check the cats if you have them installed.

jhunt47

forum member
Reaction score
When you did the trans and clutch did you change the pilot bearing?

Dirtleg

BoostCreep
Reaction score
When you did the trans and clutch did you change the pilot bearing?

Not the last time. The pilot bearing that is in there was installed in 2013 when I was attempting to run an MT82 in this car. That didn't pan out and I put a rebuilt 3650 in instead back in October.

The reason I am not thinking pilot bearing is it does it when I'm not using the clutch so the transmission input shaft and crankshaft would be turning the same speed.

I suppose it's worth pulling the transmission again (4th time) and checking the bearing.

And it blows my mind that's it's made this noise with 3 different transmissions (MT82, Original 3650, and rebuilt 3650)

3 different driveshafts. (original, MT82 and DSS 1 Piece)

Rebuilt rear axle as well.

I've got half a mind just to go dog it out until it breaks. Then I'll at least know what to fix.

Dirtleg

BoostCreep
Reaction score
Updating this thread.

Turns out it was a flywheel that had worked itself loose. No so loose you could feel it by hand but loose enough that it would happen under load.

I pulled the transmission again last Sunday with the intention of inspecting the flywheel and clutch assembly as the flywheel was literally the only common part in the different stages of this adventure.

With the transmission out I checked the flywheel for looseness but it seemed completely tight. I removed it anyway and inspected the crankshaft and pilot bearing. They were good. So I reinstalled and retorqued the flywheel and clutch assembly. Put the car back together and figured I hadn't fixed anything.

Drove it today for the first time and to my surprise the problem is completely gone. So apparently it was the flywheel being ever so slightly loose.

Man that took forever to figure out but at least it's done now.

At this point I can proceed on this build. Ordered Brembos for the front and am going to be getting the Vorshlag Bilstein shock/spring camber plate kit ordered this week.

Signed up for an Autocross March 19th and will be able to take this car as planned instead of my 2015 as a backup. Happy about that.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back