New to Ford...Need Help Deciding

sube83sti

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've driven boosted imports all my life and have decided to finally make some serious power. I've had a 330 rwhp 240sx with an sr20 swap and a supercharged 2007 honda civic si.

I'm looking to buy a 2013 'stang but having trouble deciding between the GT and higher end models (Boss, Shelby, Roush, Saleen). It seems more cost efficient to get the GT and mod it. I've priced the GT to approx 35k with the track package (brembo brakes, 19 inch rims, and torsen diff) with the recaro seats.

I plan to add an intake, straight pipes, and supercharge it. How much power can the stock tranny handle? Any issues I might encounter?

Thanks.

Redfire_WNL

THE BEAST UNLEASHED!
Reaction score
Um You could find a 11 or 12 GT for cheap now I bet you do what you are wanting to do for a lot less then buying a new car.

sube83sti

Reaction score
I'm looking at the 6spd.
By "straight pipes" i'm referring to removing the cats and mufflers.
I personally like the look of the new 2013.

Is it more cost effective to purchase the GT and add mods (s/c, suspension, etc) or to just buy a gt500? It seems the gt500 would be expensive to insure. I'm a 28 year old male with a wife and two kids.

I've got about 45k to play with. So I'm contemplating buying a GT cash and using the extra money for mods or take a loan out for approx 10k on the GT500.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at the 6spd.

:thud:

all 2011+ trans are 6spd..................

the GT will cost less to make = fast to a 2011-2012 GT500. It will take more work to get it there

Ampire

3 valve
Reaction score
How fast are you looking to go? Are you going to do anything but 1/4 mile track runs? Do you have a daily driver?

Both manual and automatic transmissions are 6 speed. The manual transmission in the GT is the mt82 and it is known to have issues in the 2011 and 2012. However, the automatic transmission 6R80 is bulletproof even with f/i. If you are just doing 1/4 mile get a GT500.

Last edited:

sube83sti

Reaction score
I do all sorts of driving from 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, auto-cross, and some track.
I have a company car that I drive 90% percent of the time. The mustang honestly would be a toy car.

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
welcome

instead of "straight pipes" go for long tube headers. You can even keep the cats (or go high flow like I did) and an X or H pipe. And keep some sort of muffler...it isn't really a restriction anyway. As far as blowers go...there so many; it really depends on what you are aiming for.

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
If you are the type that likes to mod and spend time with your car,go for the 5.0. You can make it just as fast as the 500 or you could just buy the GT500 and have fun driving it. I personally would be bored just buying something that pretty much has everything done to it already. Either one will be a blast and BTW.......Welcome to the other side.

sube83sti

Reaction score
thanks ddtcm.
Is the auto really more problem free than the manual?
How much power can the tranny and drivetrain handle on the 5.0?

Also, I'm deciding between the track package and brembo package. The track package is only available with the manual tranny but has the same torsen as the 302. Is it worth the extra $$$?

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
Some have had problems with the manual (mine has been fine) and traded for the auto and some have switched for track purposes. It all depends on what you are gonna use the car for. If you are gonna slap on a blower then you wont have any issues with the tranny but if you are going for a extreme amount of power then a upgrade would be good.The great thing about this forum is that it has a ton of knowledgeable members with real world experience and they aren't shy about shooting you straight.

Drex

forum member
Reaction score
one other thing to consider is the GT500/Roush/Saleen will hold its value better than a GT if and when you decide to sell it. You would be hard pressed to get your mod money out of the GT. I bought my 2010 because I couldnt wait for the 5.0. I now have around 43K in mine and have recently thought about a 2013 - but I will take a big loss on the 2010 to do so. Even if I sold it to a German and made a little boot on the currency exchange..

Ampire

3 valve
Reaction score
one other thing to consider is the GT500/Roush/Saleen will hold its value better than a GT if and when you decide to sell it. You would be hard pressed to get your mod money out of the GT. I bought my 2010 because I couldnt wait for the 5.0. I now have around 43K in mine and have recently thought about a 2013 - but I will take a big loss on the 2010 to do so. Even if I sold it to a German and made a little boot on the currency exchange..

Thats a good point. Check the classifieds on this site to get an idea of the depreciation on GTs. You might even consider buying a 2011 once you see the prices.

OP, have you test driven any of the cars yet? Also the biggest difference when I went from an import to a mustang was the really low rear gear ratio, most imports are 4.xx+. This is easily fixed.

Last edited:

sube83sti

Reaction score
I've only been able to test drive the v6 model. All the dealerships in my area don't have any GT's on the lot.

Is the auto tranny just as quick as the manual?

Drex

forum member
Reaction score
The MT is more fun for me. If you are looking for results at the drag strip, then go with an AT. I am simple minded and like the control and feel of a MT. Its a sports car...

A country worth living in is a country worth fighting for.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
The 2013s shouldn't have any problems with the mt82 nor should they have any #8 issues. IMO I would go with the manual, its so much more fun shifting through the gears than just holding a steering wheel.

With the manual you could launch at higher RPM's without much issues, while with the automatic you would need a stall converter to launch your car at higher RPM's. You could also look here and see what other people have that run fast times and help you decide which one you want.
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5218

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back