new to me 06 GT automatic

Allen K

Reaction score
I just purchased an 06 GT automatic. This car needs A LOT of TLC. As you can imagine there are no service records. This is a project for me and just a weekend car. As I have been going through the car a few tech questions have come up.
1. The car is lowered with red springs. I can't see any identification on them. Is there any way to tell what they are and exactly how low the car is from original height?
2. With the car being lowered what would you recommend for new shocks and struts? (The original ones are on it at 195,000 miles.)
3. Since the car is lowered the plastic piece that protects the fuel filter has been ripped and bent and is half bolted on because of abuse. Should I replace this or does it matter?
4. The car is severely out of alignment. Should I have the shocks and struts installed before the alignment or does it matter?
5. The oil pan is dented pretty bad. Will this affect anything? It is not leaking.
6. They took out fender well liners. I would like to find some and put them back in. Or did they take them out because of how low the car is lowered and they would rub?
7. One of the previous owners replaced the third brake light with an LED version. When they did this they did something to the trunk so you can only open it with a key. The key fob activates it but it makes an awful sound but does not open it. Any ideas?
8. I have changed the oil, antifreeze, fuel filter, cleaned the airraid air filter, cabin filter, and the gasket on the oil cooler because it was leaking. I have an appointment with the local ford dealer to fix a couple of recalls that were never done according to Carfax. I have another appointment to get the tires balanced. I also have an appointment to get the transmissions fluid changed. What else would you recommend initially to do for this car with 195,000 miles?

Last edited:

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
I just purchased an 06 GT automatic. This car needs A LOT of TLC. As you can imagine there are no service records. This is a project for me and just a weekend car. As I have been going through the car a few tech questions have come up.
1. The car is lowered with red springs. I can't see any identification on them. Is there any way to tell what they are and exactly how low the car is from original height?
2. With the car being lowered what would you recommend for new shocks and struts? (The original ones are on it at 195,000 miles.)
3. Since the car is lowered the plastic piece that protects the fuel filter has been ripped and bent and is half bolted on because of abuse. Should I replace this or does it matter?
4. The car is severely out of alignment. Should I have the shocks and struts installed before the alignment or does it matter?
5. The oil pan is dented pretty bad. Will this affect anything? It is not leaking.
6. They took out fender well liners. I would like to find some and put them back in. Or did they take them out because of how low the car is lowered and they would rub?
7. One of the previous owners replaced the third brake light with an LED version. When they did this they did something to the trunk so you can only open it with a key. The key fob activates it but it makes an awful sound but does not open it. Any ideas?
8. I have changed the oil, antifreeze, fuel filter, cleaned the airraid air filter, cabin filter, and the gasket on the oil cooler because it was leaking. I have an appointment with the local ford dealer to fix a couple of recalls that were never done according to Carfax. I have another appointment to get the tires balanced. I also have an appointment to get the transmissions fluid changed. What else would you recommend initially to do for this car with 195,000 miles?

Oof sounds like it was a bit mistreated.
1. Red springs screams Eibach, as that's their color. If they are in fact Red Eibachs, they're Sportlines, about a 2" drop. One of the more aggressive lowering springs. Look for a part number on the coil.

2. OEMs are good, or FRPP / Tokiko, lotta guys here run Konis either orange or yellow.

3. Mine also ripped off from some dingus getting it off the trailer. It's a cheap part, I would get a replacement. Major fire hazard if some road debris knocks the hard line off and you're pumping raw fuel everywhere.

4. After picking with struts you will need to re-align so best to do all suspension work first before an alignment.

5. It'd bother me but if its not leaking its ok. You can't remove the pan without lifting the engine up to clear the K Member.

6. They should not rub even lowered, either lazy, or have wheels with the wrong size/offset and rub. If stock wheels with any lowering springs should not rub.

7. That is odd, as the latch mechanism is in the body itself, not the trunk lid where the 3rd brake light is. Check the gears and maybe grease it.

8. Good on the airbag recalls and tire balancing. Maybe diff fluid? How about the spark plugs and coils?

Start there, if you need some stock parts lemme know.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
BMR springs could also be had in Red. For struts and shocks, Bilstein are great, same with Koni's. I have D-spec Tokicos and like them as I can set them for drag racing and still get decent handling the rest of the time.
And as MacMan said, get the struts and shocks and then get it aligned. It will likely need new strut mounts-if the springs are in fact the Eibach Sportlines, you may want to invest in a set of camber/caster plates as they may be necessary to align it with a 2" drop.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
If you forego the adjustable camber/caster plates, at least get the GT500 strut mounts. Turn them 180 degrees from what they say and you should be close on alignment. I am lowered 1.5” on FRPP K springs and did this. Never had to adjust the alignment in about 100k miles since. In fact, the car has not needed alignment since I got it with 8k miles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allen K

Reaction score
Oof sounds like it was a bit mistreated.
1. Red springs screams Eibach, as that's their color. If they are in fact Red Eibachs, they're Sportlines, about a 2" drop. One of the more aggressive lowering springs. Look for a part number on the coil.

2. OEMs are good, or FRPP / Tokiko, lotta guys here run Konis either orange or yellow.

3. Mine also ripped off from some dingus getting it off the trailer. It's a cheap part, I would get a replacement. Major fire hazard if some road debris knocks the hard line off and you're pumping raw fuel everywhere.

4. After picking with struts you will need to re-align so best to do all suspension work first before an alignment.

5. It'd bother me but if its not leaking its ok. You can't remove the pan without lifting the engine up to clear the K Member.

6. They should not rub even lowered, either lazy, or have wheels with the wrong size/offset and rub. If stock wheels with any lowering springs should not rub.

7. That is odd, as the latch mechanism is in the body itself, not the trunk lid where the 3rd brake light is. Check the gears and maybe grease it.

8. Good on the airbag recalls and tire balancing. Maybe diff fluid? How about the spark plugs and coils?

Start there, if you need some stock parts lemme know.

Thank you for replying.
I do need some stock parts:
The plastic fender well liners - both sides
The fuel filter cover.
The plastic piece that goes on the inside of trunk lid. (There are only pieces of the original hanging there).

What spark plugs work best for these engines? (Other than the Cold Air intake that is all I am aware of that is not stock on the engine.)

According to pictures I found on the web, the wheels are off of a 2015-19 mustang. They are 17s. Where can I find out if these are good for an 06 GT?

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Thank you for replying.
I do need some stock parts:
The plastic fender well liners - both sides
The fuel filter cover.
The plastic piece that goes on the inside of trunk lid. (There are only pieces of the original hanging there).

What spark plugs work best for these engines? (Other than the Cold Air intake that is all I am aware of that is not stock on the engine.)

According to pictures I found on the web, the wheels are off of a 2015-19 mustang. They are 17s. Where can I find out if these are good for an 06 GT?

For little plastic panels your dealer is the best bet. Not very expensive.
Stock motorcraft for plugs.
S550 wheels fit S197s. Not sure what you mean by "if they're good". Um they're made by Ford and aren't Chinesium? They're fine.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back