New Wheel & Caliper Clearance Concern

DoctorQ

Reaction score
I just mounted my new rims & shoes (Godspeed Omega 18x10s/18x9s). Decided to paint-match (G2) the calipers since I was pulling off old rims. Finish calipers so mounted new Godspeed rims. Caliper clearance in front better than OEM wheels; however, the rears are my concern. After torqu'ng down I notice the rear calipers were almost touching the spoke (see pics). How close you ask? I stuck 1 playing card between caliper and back of wheel spoke, and it cleared.. but, card rubs on boths sides! 1 playing card space! So, should I be concerned? Doesn't leave much room for error (if calipers open up another 'card' width). Are spacers needed? If so, any cons putting in spacers in the rear (the thinnest available spacers should give me enough peace of mind). Vendor stated these (18x10 w/ 40mm offset) will clear the OEM brakes for the 05+ Mustang.. but man, talk about by a hair. Thanks All!

Attachments

• PICT0526.JPG
    PICT0526.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 34
  • PICT0528.JPG
    PICT0528.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 29
  • PICT0529.JPG
    PICT0529.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 38

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I just mounted my new rims & shoes (Godspeed Omega 18x10s/18x9s). Decided to paint-match (G2) the calipers since I was pulling off old rims. Finish calipers so mounted new Godspeed rims. Caliper clearance in front better than OEM wheels; however, the rears are my concern. After torqu'ng down I notice the rear calipers were almost touching the spoke (see pics). How close you ask? I stuck 1 playing card between caliper and back of wheel spoke, and it cleared.. but, card rubs on boths sides! 1 playing card space! So, should I be concerned? Doesn't leave much room for error (if calipers open up another 'card' width). Are spacers needed? If so, any cons putting in spacers in the rear (the thinnest available spacers should give me enough peace of mind). Vendor stated these (18x10 w/ 40mm offset) will clear the OEM brakes for the 05+ Mustang.. but man, talk about by a hair. Thanks All!
If you do not have brand new pads then when the pads are changed they will hit .

DoctorQ

Reaction score
If you do not have brand new pads then when the pads are changed they will hit .

These are the original pads... have 23K on them. So are spacers an options? If I use 1/4" spacers on rears, any risk of screwing something else up?

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
A 1/4 spacer will be fine . I would however call the place I received the wheels from and ask the about it . Most likely they will say " Oh you will be fine " , but I would get spacers ready for the next pad change . As far as the present I would just drive the piss out of them . If it dosent rub then there is no issue for now . I only have 1/16 clearance on mine , front and rear , with new pads .

DoctorQ

Reaction score
A 1/4 spacer will be fine . I would however call the place I received the wheels from and ask the about it . Most likely they will say " Oh you will be fine " , but I would get spacers ready for the next pad change . As far as the present I would just drive the piss out of them . If it dosent rub then there is no issue for now . I only have 1/16 clearance on mine , front and rear , with new pads .

Thx... if I add a 1/4" or 5/16" spacer, will I need to change the wheel studs (i.e., add longer studs)?

Kaldar142

Reaction score
The most i would EVER add as a spacer is 3mm without extended lugs, although sometimes you can get away with a 5mm spacer...

a 3mm spacer should be enough though.

DoctorQ

Reaction score
The most i would EVER add as a spacer is 3mm without extended lugs, although sometimes you can get away with a 5mm spacer...

a 3mm spacer should be enough though.

I think a 1/4" spacer = 6.3mm... so you're saying with this there will not be enough threads? (think I need at least 8 to grab lug). Are changing out wheel studs a DIY job (not sure how studs are secured to hub)?

Kaldar142

Reaction score
i personally have not done it on a S197 mustang, but on every other car ive done its not very fun.. especially in the rear.

highest i would go is 5mm, that should give you plenty of clearance.

DoctorQ

Reaction score
i personally have not done it on a S197 mustang, but on every other car ive done its not very fun.. especially in the rear.

highest i would go is 5mm, that should give you plenty of clearance.

thx. 5mm is 3/16"... anyone make a 3/16" 5x4.5" spacer for the S197?

Back