NotQuik's "build" thread

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
I noticed that on yours. What throws me off is that the red and black both remained in the large connector which goes to the original fuel pump or so I assumed...

when you say red and black are you talking about the connection at the very top of the second picture? not plugged into anything? those are the factory fuel pump wires that just stay in that connector, unplugged.

the red i was talking about is in the new harness which feeds back to the bigger plug.

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
Yeah, it sounds like our harnesses must have different color wires which come off the GT500 harness. No biggie, I'll get it figured out after I get a battery for the car.

FYI, these are the two wires which I cut the sender connector from on the GT500 harness.
6A2FFD09-E7B7-4556-884A-2F1435E27727_zpssxlzq5yn.jpg

These are the two removed from the original fuel pump connector.
F364E4EF-3D5B-49B0-A14F-A070AD06309E_zpsxdpnhb8x.jpg

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
With that out of the way...off to the next obstacle. I've seen pictures of other cars with the THP Kit...the main difference I've noticed is that it's flat across the top and the bottom of the other intercoolers. With where I had it positioned originally (didn't protrude below bumper cover) I wasn't able to fit the top of the bumper over it without a big bulge. So I dropped it down about an inch and now it hangs below the front bumper cover while nearly clearing the top. I haven't remade brackets yet as I'm undecided about making this work. The car already sits low enough with 26" tires. I'll include a couple pictures below to try and put it into prospective.

Intercooler is leveled but as you can see it raises up on the left side by the outlet.
1F215CD2-68B9-4DDA-8D77-7067842A3454_zpspinff5rg.jpg

As you can see it does the opposite at this corner which you can see the blue elbow hanging below the bumper cover.
D73548FC-29EA-46D2-91E3-D533A4D08A5F_zpsmssrqpbh.jpg

The other issue is clearance. Right now it's right up against the bumper support. The backside is up again some lines which I can probably manipulate some. I've considered a tubular bumper support for extra clearance. I've seen many pictures of people cutting the stock support to improve flow and/or simply for extra clearance. I'm not into cutting it but I'm open for thoughts?
2613BDD8-4B2F-4E55-BFEA-3EE1AE6C3837_zpsyj7o0mwf.jpg

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
So your gt500 harness has the same color wires as the cars sender unit?

Can't help you with the intercooler, I'm using my own, I didn't buy THP's.

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
Correct. If you look back at post #78...I borrowed that from another thread. It looks like he had the same color wires as mine in his GT500 harness. He paired wires by color at first and it didn't work as it should have so he swapped them and all seemed well. Biggest difference between ours is that his was an '05.

A buddy of mine has a bottom inlet/outlet intercooler similar in size. I need to see what size the outlets are and might just go that route. Can you recall the size of yours?

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Mine is 3" in/out. 31x12x4....I think it's a cx racing intercooler off eBay , works great! I see between 20-30 over ambient temps at WOT.

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
How is clearance in by the bumper support? Mine is only 3 1/2 thick.

Any thoughts on a tubular bumper support as mentioned above?

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
How is clearance in by the bumper support? Mine is only 3 1/2 thick.

Any thoughts on a tubular bumper support as mentioned above?

i cut the back side of mine out to make room. then to support the intercooler i used a piece of angle steel from one frame support to the other.

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
Pulled the front bumper support and will be getting a tubular one. Thought I'd share a better pic of the catiwhompus intercooler...

30997794-9438-45B6-9115-94FBB92F74A9_zpst8k9lumt.jpg

This was new...

94A327B9-98D6-4B10-82DD-76722C7F3BC3_zpsz8xqyxn6.jpg

2FD5DA32-6400-467B-B192-B6267357A1C1_zpsmhx47pdw.jpg

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
NotQuik would you mind sharing some photos of the oil filter relocation? I just ordered one and I am trying to find the right spot for it. I see where yours is mounted, but are you going to have any problem with removing and changing the filter? I can't find any more pictures that benefit me in choosing the location on that rail, you have it all the way forward, while I have seen it in the middle, or all the way back.. I need help lol

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
My bumper cover is off at the moment but what would you like to see? I can take a couple tomorrow evening. The filter housing sits about 4" from the frame horn end from what I can recall. With the bumper cover in place it should be a straight shot to grab the filter out of there, I have no worries about accessibility. A couple different turbo kits also recommend installation in the same general location.

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
So...I'm still waiting on a response...and at this point I feel i'm being blown off.

I presented the fitment dilema for the intercooler and it was suggested that I raise and lower each side to compensate for the intercoolers irregularity. In other words, it was suggested that I mount it crooked. Naturally, that wasn't the response I was looking for as I feel it would represent a hack job and would not be symmetical when looking thru the front bumper opening. I've sent a couple emails since with no reponse so don't think i'll be getting any help here.

In the mean time i've looked around at intercoolers breifly. I'd like to know personal thoughts on black vs bare finish on an intercooler? I'd expect back to retain more heat and in-turn not be as efficient as a bare finished intercooler. I realize that you're basically creating an insulator by adding any sort of coating. I did do a quick google search and see some mixed opinions on this depending on the actual black finish (paint/powdercoat/anodized). Or am I simply over thinking all of this?

This is the intercooler i've kind of been eye balling and from what i've found it's only available in black which is why I bring up the thoughts above.

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchan...&Product_Code=IC0023-BLK&Category_Code=IC40CO

Since I still had the CMCP's on the car I pulled the intake last weekend and disassembled/cleaned them in preparation of doing my own delete plates until I get a new intake manifold. I applied liquid steel in the holes last night. I will probably sand and reassmeble everything this weekend if I don't get have to help with my sister in-laws bf's grand cherokee as he sunk it last weekend (bent a rod).

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
Not sure man...What do you have?

On a different note, I did finally manage to button up the cmdp's and get the intake manifold back on tonight. Getting ready for a hunting trip to upstate ny so need to order a new climber along with a few other things plus finish getting the atv ready. Kept thinking I had a 2-3 months left until reality hit...I head out in about 3 1/2 weeks.

Back