OBX-R longtubes and x-pipe 5.0+

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good question, but not TECH on this forum.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I've also have used obx stuff on imports like WRX and 350z with very good results. High quality that lasted years through harsh winter with no rust.

DTL

forum member
Reaction score
I put a set on a BMW I had years ago after the stock manifolds cracked. They worked just fine and were dirt cheap.

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
OBX-R STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST HEADER MANIFOLD Shelby Fit For 2011 & UP Mustang GT 5.0L

Brand new OBX-R Stainless Steel Exhaust Header Manifold for the 2011 & UP Mustang Shelby GT 5.0L

Not for Regular Mustang GT, Mustang Coyote GT Engines

So there is Shelby 5.0?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I'm glad there is a cheap alternative to headers on the 5.0's.
I think charging 1500+ for any header on planet earth is nuttier than squirrel shit.

Drkmrkiv

forum member
Reaction score
Obx was junk several several years ago. They've gotten a lot better as far as quality goes. Will it be up to par with kooks and the like? No. But I'm sure it'll be alright.

They copy other's designs, spend no money for R&D, hence the lower price. And they're made in China... Many have a problem with obx's ethics and business model. Try and support the good guys and their products.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
When the good guys charge 3 times the price for the same product, same metal even T304 stainless. It's kind of hard to support them.

I was considering OBX but went with Pypes, they are great quality, the welds are perfect, they fit flawless and are the same exact metal as kooks $1,200 version for my car.
They are just bent pipes, I don't see why they would ever be in the $1,000+ range on any car ever, ever, ever.

Could I have bought $1,200 headers? sure could have $ wasn't the issue.
The issue was, why pay twice as much for the same product on my end?
Now the 5.0's headers from "top companies" are in the $1,500 plus range, just seems silly.
I'm the consumer I don't care about your R&D costs, figure out how to work it out that's why you're in business.

Last edited:

cgibs89

Stickers add HP brah
Reaction score
When the good guys charge 3 times the price for the same product, same metal even T304 stainless. It's kind of hard to support them.

I was considering OBX but went with Pypes, they are great quality, the welds are perfect, they fit flawless and are the same exact metal as kooks $1,200 version for my car.
They are just bent pipes, I don't see why they would ever be in the $1,000+ range on any car ever, ever, ever.

Could I have bought $1,200 headers? sure could have $ wasn't the issue.
The issue was, why pay twice as much for the same product on my end?
Now the 5.0's headers from "top companies" are in the $1,500 plus range, just seems silly.
I'm the consumer I don't care about your R&D costs, figure out how to work it out that's why you're in business.

I don't support them and continue to bash OBX because they put Kook's long tubes and JBA's shorties on a jig and copied them bend for bend(for LS motors). They FINALLY started doing mandrel bends but at first they were just hacking up pipe and welding it every 5-6 inches.

That's why they can sell them at 1/3 the price. No R&D required.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I don't support them and continue to bash OBX because they put Kook's long tubes and JBA's shorties on a jig and copied them bend for bend(for LS motors). They FINALLY started doing mandrel bends but at first they were just hacking up pipe and welding it every 5-6 inches.

That's why they can sell them at 1/3 the price. No R&D required.

But I'm the consumer, I don't care about their R&D costs... why should I?
Why would I by an item 3x the price or another similar item?

I'd say they are shitty for copying other designs too, but how many different ways can you design a long tube header?

Last edited:

nasty281

MODIFIED STANG
Reaction score
I'm personally going to go with stainless works stainless power header it is same design except hundreds cheaper. $599 if I'm not mistaken. Only Difference is that they are manufactured by someone else and 2year warranty instead of lifetime

4VFTW

Reaction score
how much R&D is there in a set of longtubes? You can get a set fully custom made for $2k. Now if you say support X company because they pay American workers a living wage with decent benefits then i'm with you... but to say R&D justifies the added expense , i'm not buying it.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I am wondering the same what is the R&D cost on a set of longtubes?
When you make the first one all you have to do is copy it over and over, I'm not a business owner but I don't get it and $1,000+ headers don't make any sense.

ESPECIALLY when you can get older car headers from the same company for hundreds less, figure that one out! lol
Why are these headers only $690?
http://www.jegs.com/i/Kooks+Custom+...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=COyahZ-AsrgCFVCf4Aod-l4A3w

Last edited:

Weou09

forum member
Reaction score
You guys have never worked in R&D, Engineering, or Manufacturing, have you?

I have. When I worked for a metal building shop we manufactured every piece of trim in house and I drew custom peak boxes and end cabs daily. I know what they charged for a standard piece and what they charged for something that I had to design. The percentages do not parallel, not even close. That is the nature of the aftermarket industry for cars though.

I had OBX long tubes on my 3v and loved them. Reading other brand install threads and having put headers on several different cars I feel like the install and fitment was just as good as any other brand. I would suggest getting their mid pipe or researching what brand mid pipe fits with their header. I had to modify the pypes X to fit.

Last edited:

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm personally going to go with stainless works stainless power header it is same design except hundreds cheaper. $599 if I'm not mistaken. Only Difference is that they are manufactured by someone else and 2year warranty instead of lifetime

I went with the stainless power. I spoke with Chris Schneider of stainless works and he told me they are the exact same header design, same material, same specs, only difference is they're outsourced and only have a 2 year warranty instead of lifetime. Stainless power headers are even inspected by stainless works employees before they're sold. For best price PM jayman33, trust me I scoured the Internet for months trying to find a better price, they were WELL under $1500 for LT's and offroad midpipe

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
You guys have never worked in R&D, Engineering, or Manufacturing, have you?

I've never worked in those industries, but I can make a silly guess that once you have the piece built and perfected you aren't doing R&D anymore you're just cloning the product. So what is the cost? initial R&D? does it last for years? don't get it.

And also... I don't care to pay for R&D costs that is why the company exists it's their job to do R&D not my job to pay for it. $1,500 for headers?
And also again, how many different ways can you make a long tube header?

Quick question, how can kooks make headers for the 89-93 mustang with the same type and amount of metal and have them cost $600?

edit: I see I am getting a little moody, this is not towards you individually.

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A lot of headers out there are just bent tubes. In that case, I understand where you're coming from.

However, GOOD headers are tuned and require a lot of man-hours of development. How do you pay for that? By increasing the cost of the product. Sure, you can say "that is why the company exists it's their job to do R&D not my job to pay for it," but how are they supposed to pay for it unless they charge the customer for it?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back