Oil in whipple intercooler reservoir ??

saud alzaabi

forum member
Reaction score
Did anyone come across this situation ? yesterday I was tuning a Mustang GT with whipple supercharger and just as I was about to wrap it up with timing I stopped for a check on everything just to make sure there is clean engine oil, coolant and intercooler water. I was shocked to see that the Intercooler water had OIL in it as this is a new case to me.

Engine coolang and engine oil were fine and the funny thing over what I found was that the intercooler water was at the weather Temp. Meaning it wasn't really hot. That may be explained because we installed a GT500 AFCO intercooler on the car for better cooling. and yes the waterpump works just fine.

Mods on car is
298CI stroker kit
Whipple supercharger with steeda belt going 18PSI
GT500 dual fuel pump
Mcleod RST clutch
Ford racing cams
livernois stg 3 cnc heads
SCT BA5000 Maf slot sensor
Seimens Deka 62lb Injectors
and other suspension mods.

I cleared the water and recirculated it with tap water, Cleaned it and then fixed everything again with tap water and dang it got milky in just about 20 minutes of idling.

I am taking the S/C off and doing a water pressure test on the I/C and if nothing came up im cleaning the inner pipes of intercooler with fuel just to clear all the oil up and re'do the testing.

Thanks

klaw

forum member
Reaction score
Can't help you with the oil problem but you might consider putting RXT clutch disks in while you have the top of the motor off. I have a similar build and the RST failed miserably.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Did the car used any kind of combination of water wetter and coolant in the IC coolant mix?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
A month or two ago somebody had posted a thread about their Whipple leaking oil and it dripped down off the transmission bell housing. I would check the oil level in the blower and then check it for leaks. You will have to pull it off the intake manifold to do this.

Back@itagain

forum member
Reaction score
Did the car used any kind of combination of water wetter and coolant in the IC coolant mix?

+1 on this. I previously used water wetter in my intercooler on a Whipple. It would foam and leave an oily residue in the overflow tank. Based on what you listed as a build it sounds almost identical to mine....right down to the cylinder heads but that's another story.

That Whipple is going to make a ton of heat at the discharge port. At 16 psi mine was boiling the water and turning it to steam as it passed through the intercooler. It even warped the overflow tank outlet fitting and would cause the tank to bulge. I didn't figure it out until I started marking the tank to monitor it. After running it it would appear as if the coolant had dropped. Cracking the cap on the tank let all the pressure and steam would rush out and the tank.

You may want to consider adding or upping the percentage of engine coolant to raise the boiling point...might be worth a try.

stangzilla

forum member
Reaction score
i've seen this problem posted before, but i forget what exactly the problems were.
but i do remember the snout leak, which they have a fix for.
trying to jog my memory a bit.

saud alzaabi

forum member
Reaction score
Did the pressure test on the S/C intercooler, everything was great and no leaks. S/c snout is perfectly sealed and the S/C oil level is perfect.

I did a fast intercooler cleaning methob by pumping Fuel with a walbro FP and recirculate it untill no oil was left in the intercooler so now i am putting everything back and will do another test.

Thanks.

saud alzaabi

forum member
Reaction score
The I/C cleaning did the job and the car was tuned on street due to a dyno being very busy that day.. from the feeling of the pull I think it makes around 500+ rwhp and it will be dynoed once few bugs are fixed.

But I can tell you that a 2012 GTR will have a hard time.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back