Other necessary parts for lowering your car?

butterSideUp

Reaction score
First things first, everyone must know that I'm pretty new to the whole lowering thing. I know you need springs which I have recently purchased (ford racing k springs woooo). Other than that I know it is possible you may also need an adjustable panhard bar and camber/caster plates. My springs only drop 1.5'' in the front and back, are the panhard bar/camber plates really necessary?

BL00DSH0T

forum member
Reaction score
They are not necesary. I have the FRPP K-Springs. I did have to get the an adjustable panhard bar after I put my 20" wheels on. It made it very noticeable the axel shifted to the driver side.
Alignment came out good, a little camber but nothing that warrants camber plates IMO.

I will probably get the camber plates when I replace the stock struts/shocks.

1SonicGT

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't even need my panhard bar when I lowered mine. My rear end didnt move at all. All I needed was a front end alignment and a massage after I was done.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
This isn't a Tech thread and shouldn't of been posted here. Please read the rules.

Having said that, before you lower your car, check the rear end side to side measurements. Many Mustang's are out from the factory. Mine was. After I lowered it, it was out even more. I had a PHB standing by though because I knew that shortly there after, I was going to need new struts and shocks. The stock stuff isn't known to last a long time after lowering. Especially if your car already has some good mileage on it. Even once I changed my stock dampers over to Koni's all I needed to do to get it aligned was "keyhole" the lower strut mount hole a tad. Zero issues with alignment over the last 6k miles.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
needed no, advised yes.

:2cents:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
First things first, everyone must know that I'm pretty new to the whole lowering thing. I know you need springs which I have recently purchased (ford racing k springs woooo). Other than that I know it is possible you may also need an adjustable panhard bar and camber/caster plates. My springs only drop 1.5'' in the front and back, are the panhard bar/camber plates really necessary?
The only thing I think you should also do at this time - other than an alignment - is to upgrade the struts and shocks from OE if you haven't already done so as a separate earlier mod. I don't know how many miles you've put on the car, but it is now 4 model years old and you could have over 30,000 on the OE dampers.

You'll have the front suspension almost completely apart to do the springs anyway. My own preference and that of many others is the Koni yellows, and it would be better to spend the early money here rather than on other suspension products.

An alternative to camber plates is the Steeda HD strut mounts, as they have a degree or so of camber adjustability built into them.

Wait and see on the PHB and the relo brackets, these can be done as entirely stand-alone mods without upsetting anything other than perhaps pinion angle. If you don't notice the things they're supposed to fix, you won't benefit at all by putting them on the car at this point.

Norm

butterSideUp

Reaction score
thanks for all the advice it was very helpful! And sorry about posting in the wrong thread, I thought it was kinda techy haha

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score
i suggest a steeda bump steer kit and x5 ball joints. with those two, i was able to get it to align very well and drives great.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back