Out of nowhere now I have gear noise...huh?

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Last summer I had a buddy install a tru trac in my car. I also have 4.10 gears. It had a very slight noise on decel ie coasting at 50 mph, no biggie at all. In January I installed a DSS DS. After one adjustment to my UCA I had it setup with no vibration and no added noise.

About 6 weeks ago I noticed I had developed a gear noise coasting down from 25 mph till I stop. It definitely changes tone with rpms. When speeding up to 25 mph you can hear it also but its not as noticeable because of my loud exhaust. When over 25 mph you dont hear a thing, everything seems just like before, normal.

Today I checked my pinion angle and adjusted my UCA to 4 different settings. The gear noise didnt change at all but it did develop vibrations so I know my initial UCA setting is the right one. I checked my diff fluid and its full.

Any ideas what could be causing this? We used a new master bearing kit when my friend installed the diff so I cant imagine its a bearing issue. Should I swap out the fluid to see if I have shavings in there? I did swap out the diff fluid after 500 miles last summer. I can live with the noise I just want to be proactive if something is wrong.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I've had something similar happen. It was the crush sleeve. What happened was I went to the track and hooked up. That crushed the crush sleeve enough to make a lot of decel noise on the way home. The best way to avoid it is to use a solid spacer instead of a crush sleeve.

conexion914

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW, I have a trutrac and 4.10s and had no issues for a year. I daily drive my car and race a point series with it. I had some pitting in my carrier bearings causing a howl. I had it listened to and was told axle bearings. Swapped them and it was still there. Ended up having all bearings replaced as I was afraid it was my pinion bearing. Might be worth checking what you can get at easily.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
FWIW, I have a trutrac and 4.10s and had no issues for a year. I daily drive my car and race a point series with it. I had some pitting in my carrier bearings causing a howl. I had it listened to and was told axle bearings. Swapped them and it was still there. Ended up having all bearings replaced as I was afraid it was my pinion bearing. Might be worth checking what you can get at easily.

I had to replace the gears. Once the noise wear pattern starts it can't be stopped. I'm also running a trutrac.

New gears, a solid spacer, and all is good. This happened about two years ago.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
So any harm in not doing anything about it? Lol. I can live with the noise and why spend the $ on parts and labor if it's not absolutely necessary. Gear install is the only thing I paid somebody else to do.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
So any harm in not doing anything about it? Lol. I can live with the noise and why spend the $ on parts and labor if it's not absolutely necessary. Gear install is the only thing I paid somebody else to do.

Probably not. Gears are also the only thing I pay someone to do. Too much mystery involved for me.

I lived with the noisy gears for about 2 months before having the solid spacer installed. It didn't fix it so a few more months after that I had them changed. The car has to be fun and I can't stand gear noise. That was about 1.5 years ago and they have been good since.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Good to know thanks. If it doesnt get louder I'm ok with it. I have about another dozen race events to run this year. I will be beating on it a lot and it that doesnt make it any worse I will be happy.

What times you running with your beast? 19 lbs of boost.....Yikes!

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Good to know thanks. If it doesnt get louder I'm ok with it. I have about another dozen race events to run this year. I will be beating on it a lot and it that doesnt make it any worse I will be happy.

What times you running with your beast? 19 lbs of boost.....Yikes!

I wish I knew. I've planned to go to a test n tune 3 different times so far this year. The track is a 2 hr drive away. Every time I've planned to go the arthritis and degenerated disk in my neck has flared up. It would be agony to spend 4+ hours on the road when it's like that. Sometimes it's all I can do just to work. A lot of my free time the last few months has been spent on the couch surfing forums and taking medication. Boo Hoo. The joys of getting older, lol.

Right now it's wastegated to 14psi. As soon as this tank of e85 is used up I'm switching the car back to gasoline. There's no sense for me to be making big power with the car if I'm just doing errands and early morning drives with it. The wastegate is going to be setup for 10 psi but I'm keeping the small pulley to build boost fast. It should still be over 500rwhp and plenty of fun.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Well that sucks about your neck. At 48 myself I understand the getting old and sore part. Bummer that the track is so far away too. Your car is built up quite nice, you would get some nice ET's.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score

Potential harm is based on if there is a specific bearing issue. If it is a Pinuion Bearing then yes it will become worse and become a problem.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've had something similar happen. It was the crush sleeve. What happened was I went to the track and hooked up. That crushed the crush sleeve enough to make a lot of decel noise on the way home. The best way to avoid it is to use a solid spacer instead of a crush sleeve.

this happened to me also. i wasn't sure if it was the crush sleeve because i had switched out the flange when switching to a dss driveshaft, but the noise started after a trip to the track.

I had to replace the gears. Once the noise wear pattern starts it can't be stopped. I'm also running a trutrac.

New gears, a solid spacer, and all is good. This happened about two years ago.

i just had mine overhauled about two months ago. i asked about installing a spacer instead of a crush sleeve, but the guys at the shop run crush sleeves in his 9 second cobra so i just let it go.

yet another vote for the crush sleeve

i should have insisted on a spacer. i've actually avoided going to the track because i'm afraid the same thing will happen again, and i don't want to install another new set of 4.56 gears.

Last edited:

cmg427

forum member
Reaction score
Doesnt the tru trac make noise during decel in low RPM's? Thats what I've always heard but that there is nothing wrong.

conexion914

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, mine does and many others. Its the helical gears within the differential from what I've read.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
I raced the car last weekend. I managed to qualify in the #1 spot but lost in round two. My car is great but my Pro tree RT's need help. LOL

Noise is worse now. Made a little video. Its louder than the exhaust inside now. Not gonna drive it until I can hook up with a buddy and fix it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxfxRcvgcOc

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Have you dropped the DS and checked endplay in the pinion gear? THat would be adef answer to your question.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Have you dropped the DS and checked endplay in the pinion gear? THat would be adef answer to your question.

No I havent tried that yet. I am waiting for my buddy whom knows rear end work way more than me. I would just fuck it up more.

Toorbeenee, thanks for the inbed. I'm a computer tard.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
you could do a preliminary check and just grab the DS close to the yoke, almost any movement any direction is not a good thing. If any movement is visually obvious you're prolly gonna have to at least partially tear it down.

Back