Painted Calipers?

Stangmeister9

The Member
Reaction score
Painted Calipers? (Updated Pics!)

Just received my GT500 BBK in the mail, and would like to get them painted red (instead of the factory black).

My question is to anyone who has had them painted with automotive paint rather them powdercoated by a shop. Reason being is that i do not have a local shop anywhere near me that powder coats.

Concern isnt so much with the painting, but the ability to handle heat with regular auto paint. I do go to local HP/DE's about 3 to 4 times a year and the calipers take a beating by all the friction that comes with an HP/DE.

Painting them is purely asthetic, since i run the local car show circuit as well.

Last edited:

bullitt2086

forum member
Reaction score
I would STRONGLY recommend a quality powder coating.... But IF done properly with a high temp paint it should last. I would not paint it with regular auto paint....

bullitt2086

forum member
Reaction score
A few years back I did the calipers on my bullitt with duplicolor red high temp paint and they came out real good. The trick is all in the prep if the surface is clean and lightly scuffed with a scotch bright then the paint will hold up much better and last longer... The bullitt was an 08 and I just recently sold it and the red still looked awesome no chips.

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
Ok I have a question... Why red? Everyone does red. Also I say Powdercoating. The local shop here is doing my brembos for 65.00

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Mine are black and done with the high temp caliper paint and hey chp easy. I plan to ake hem apart and have them powder coated this winter.

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
I actually talked to Brembo NA and they said if your going to Powdercoat these to pop the pistons and seals out but do NOT pull the 2 haves apart. I popped the pistons out and got new seals to put back in when they get back from the coaters.

Wlkn Tal

forum member
Reaction score
I don't have brembro's but I used the duplicolor paint, and it looks great and easy to touch up as needed, and it blens right in. I hear if you powder coat it will still chip and you can't match the paint for touch up.

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
use some quality paint designed for calipers and youll be good, I used VHT and it hold up great!

Stangmeister9

The Member
Reaction score
Ok I have a question... Why red? Everyone does red. Also I say Powdercoating. The local shop here is doing my brembos for 65.00

Why "red" cause it goes best with my vehicle. thought yellow, but may be changing the color of my wheels and that wouldn't look right.

all matter of personal prefrence. :highfive:

use some quality paint designed for calipers and youll be good, I used VHT and it hold up great!

do you use your car for hight speed, heavy braking events?

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
^^no but I do drive it hard on back twisty roads, obviously not the same as an HPDE, but Im confident it would hold up

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I used duplicolor brush on paint on the 07 GT/CS that I just traded in. I painted them about four years ago, and other than a little touch up now and then, they held up great, and still looked good. I have never done track days in that car, but I did autocross it a good bit last year, and was hard on the brakes. It didn't affect the caliper paint at all.

If you go the DIY route, I highly recommend this. It's cheap, easy to use, looks great, and holds up very well:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/duplicolor-red-caliper-paint.html

jas2234

forum member
Reaction score
I painted mine 2 yrs ago and they held up decent but got tired of touch ups. I actually just got done putting them back together 10 min ago. got bored today and tore all 4 apart and powder coated them. they look way better than paint. the only down fall is if you get brake clean on the powder coating it will dissolve it.

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score
I say have them powder coated and be done with it. I have used the dupli color stuff before and it is okay and does look better than stock on OEM brake calipers. But on a set of Brembo's where you have spent good money on the brakes, why not do it right the first time and be done.

The dupli color stuff scratches easy doesn't cover well and will have to be touched up over time.

I say box the brembo's up before you install them and send them out and have them powder coated.

There are a few great guys on this forum who who be glad to do them for you.

Here are my rear Wilwood brakes right now being broke down for some new powder coat to match the car.

IMG_20121123_165728.jpg

y4e7evy2.jpg

Last edited:

Stangmeister9

The Member
Reaction score
I say have them powder coated and been done with if. I have used the dupli color stuff before and it is okay and does look better than stock on OEM brake calipers. But on a set of Brembo's where you have spent good money on the brakes, why not do it right the first time and be done.

The dupli color stuff scratches easy doesn't cover well and will have to be touched up over time.

I say box the brembo's up before you install them and send them out and have them powder coated.

There are a few great guys on this forum who who be glad to do them for you.

Here are my rear Wilwood brakes right now being broke down for some new powder coat to match the car.

IMG_20121123_165728.jpg

y4e7evy2.jpg

nice set...I will defenitley look those members up and see about getting a quote.

Barricade

Decepticon Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I painted a set of brembos...

Can show pix if ya wanna see.

Came out looking great but I would recommend PC if you can swing it.
Taking them apart is gonna be a beeeotch though. No one seems to do that.
They all want them disassembled.

I have a set of Brembos that I left in a box and somehow the box got turned upside down and the brake fluid leaked out & down them....
so now the coating is all bubbled up. UUUGGHHHHHH....cant believe I did that.

Gonna go PC this go round....

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back